Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to the machinist today. Valve guides are a perfect fit, valves are beautiful. All the buckets are machined and ready to go back into the head. I need springs and we're groovy.

20160418_173131.jpg

20160418_175821.jpg

Parts parts parts. Megasquirt arrived today. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

13001178_10153388933521744_2930414295753174818_n.jpg

"Honey I need $600 for a megasquirt", the response to that statement from a wife might be entertaining?

I mean, you can give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so 4 of the cylinders still have some damage, they can't be used. Some are usable but it must be bored. So I'm going oversized on pistons, raising compression and ordering 4 new cylinders once the machinist gives me the OK on cylinder bore size.

20160512_183714.jpg

20160512_183707.jpg

On a positive note, holy hell the engine is cleaning up well.

Before...

1925037_10152331146441744_7294205348146060195_n.jpg

IMG_20150517_130241.jpg

And now

20160512_184047.jpg

20160512_184052.jpg

Wow I love the before and after shots of the engine, when do you expect to have the car completed and what will you thinker with once it's completed ? :icon_mrgreen:

Wow I love the before and after shots of the engine, when do you expect to have the car completed and what will you thinker with once it's completed ? :icon_mrgreen:

Well, the sleeves are going to push things back 5 weeks, and the pistons another 4. I was hoping this summer, but it looks like late summer or fall.

Alright, so 4 of the cylinders still have some damage, they can't be used. Some are usable but it must be bored. So I'm going oversized on pistons, raising compression and ordering 4 new cylinders once the machinist gives me the OK on cylinder bore size.

:icon_super: :monkeyleft: :eusa_dance:

• 2 months later...

Heads: Port work then finished.

Block: Pistons and sleeves sent off and waiting on R&D. Engine is back on track for being finished.

Final dimensions confirmed. The following are what we decided on:

Final bore with 280 finish and will need a plateau finish, ring type will be similar to moly face: 3.390"

Cylinder shoulder to top on cylinders: 2.131-2.132", ordered to 2.133" so we have spare material to work with.

Pistons: Forged aluminum, made to stock + oversize to bore size of 3.390"

How ordering parts currently feels right now.

fgprVNb.gif

R&D going well. Since the speedo stopped working, and I can't seem to find anything in terms of a replacement, and all the various places I've called have said, "Yeah, well, we work on the british version of those not the italian version of those" I have since purchased a step motor, GPS data logger and will be updating my speedo as a GPS unit, keeping it looking stock. I'll post some photos of the unit as it comes along.

My other motive for doing this is that I can data log my trips to onboard computer, etc (which can be turned on or off). Since the car was previously an ultrasmith car, I want to do a little homage to the tech side of things, and keep things looking stock while providing it with some neat updates and things that will be useful.

I had heavily considered going with some diablo instruments that I had found, but have decided to go with my own take on things instead.

Forged pistons are on the way!

Hnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg

20160812_191331.jpg

20160812_192448.jpg

20160812_192512.jpg

20160812_192531.jpg

20160812_193102.jpg

The crown looks somewhat different from the High compression version (11.20-1) that Je first made for us back in 1989...are you using Total Seal gapless rings ?

What does Je charge for these now...?

Paul

The crown looks somewhat different from the High compression version (11.20-1) that Je first made for us back in 1989...are you using Total Seal gapless rings ?

What does Je charge for these now...?

Paul

Sorry for the delay. Wanted to get you the best info I could.

20160819_090903.jpg

20160819_090850.jpg

I was sent nitrite pro seal rings.

20160819_091013.jpg

20160819_090956.jpg

20160819_090850.jpg

Sorry for the delay. Wanted to get you the best info I could.

Thanks...as I recall the pistons sans rings etc were around $ 87.00 each in the early 1990s vs $ 117 today. We asked Cosworth for a quote back then and it was well over $ 100 each.

The Je parts worked very well and seemed to cure the problem of the cylinder liners going "oval"

Paul

Thanks...as I recall the pistons sans rings etc were around $ 87.00 each in the early 1990s vs $ 117 today. We asked Cosworth for a quote back then and it was well over $ 100 each.

The Je parts worked very well and seemed to cure the problem of the cylinder liners going "oval"

Paul

Unfortunately they sent me the wrong rings which i did not see at first. the part number 3930 is the bore size.

3.930, almost 4" bore. Compared to my 3.390. Almost 3" bore. At this point they've sent me someone else's sample for a ferrari and i didn't get my lambo piston back (yet), just my customer pistons with the wrong rings. You'd think for that price they'd visually check it all before they send it off and make sure it all fits but apparently not.

First world problems I guess. Still, frustrating.

Je is sending the correct rings at no cost and sending me prepaid labels to send the wrong ones back. Easy peasy. I guess I was expecting more difficulty but they are making it right.

Chain guide bearings arrived, waiting on gaskets, the last thing i need is head gaskets. So stoked right now!