Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

Allow me to propose on making this thread a sticky or gold (positive gold, of course). :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Very inspirational. Huge congrats again D!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Allow me to propose on making this thread a sticky or gold (positive gold, of course). :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Very inspirational. Huge congrats again D!

For sure! I just don't want to see it locked yet. I want more updates but this belongs in the Best of LP collection.

For sure! I just don't want to see it locked yet. I want more updates but this belongs in the Best of LP collection.

It's not done yet! hahaha.

what ever a sticky lock or gold is ..

I love this thread.

on the day you complete it I suggest getting 10 naked sluts a few cameras and some lighter fluid... always a great reveal!

I truly love anyone who shrugs off a "it cant be done" or "you are crazy if you think you can..."of project. this forum is filled with guys who have that determination but some use it to business and then just agonize about how to spec the stiches on a new car they will never drive ..

but you sir, you put that determination into this Jalpa and that is seriously the super cool I admire most

more power to you any anyone who does what others say >>> cant be done

what ever a sticky lock or gold is ..

I love this thread.

on the day you complete it I suggest getting 10 naked sluts a few cameras and some lighter fluid... always a great reveal!

I truly love anyone who shrugs off a "it cant be done" or "you are crazy if you think you can..."of project. this forum is filled with guys who have that determination but some use it to business and then just agonize about how to spec the stiches on a new car they will never drive ..

but you sir, you put that determination into this Jalpa and that is seriously the super cool I admire most

more power to you any anyone who does what others say >>> cant be done

Thank you for the kind words. Though I'm not sure where i'll find 10 naked sluts and some cameras and lighter fluid around here (but that does sound fun). I'm in a pretty small town :lol2: I agree though, things can be done if you're determined enough. As someone said it's often that last 2% of a long project that sorts those out from those who will finish something and those who will toss their arms up and say, "ah i give up."

This weekend I'm feeling a lot better.

The new clutch, throwout, pressure plate, and slave cylinder are on their way and hopefully i'll be able to start putting the engine back in the car now, where it belongs. Soon!

Thank you for the kind words. Though I'm not sure where i'll find 10 naked sluts and some cameras and lighter fluid around here (but that does sound fun). I'm in a pretty small town :lol2:

Don't worry, Kerplop, I got you on this. Here's what I'm gonna do, I'll get the lighter fluid, you get the 10 naked womenz. :D

Those cam covers look so NICE. Looks great, man! I like the pic of you and the machinist together, because I can really see the pride in yall's faces.

my hats off to you...I'm a pretty good wrench..I can fix almost anything mechanical...you are 10 steps higher..really enjoy this thread

Waiting on the next attempt of throwout to arrive on monday. Gotta officiate a wedding tomorrow or I'd work on the car more, but I did manage to trim down the pressure plate to fit the flywheel.

TuerQSn.jpg

Oddly enough, the pressure plate type is the same on a factory pressure plate. Almost no difference except that it is slightly larger on the outer edges and apparently already trimmed to fit. So the BMW m5 pressure plate IS a direct fit.... after you trim the edges. Took me a while but I got it.

As you can see, the band inside the flywheel is in the way.

MFaPDNT.jpg

0xdb3Ab.jpg

X7O1dYE.jpg

After trimming the main edges down, it fits, except now the upper portion needs trimmed ever so slightly.

sduQZn4.jpg

Needs just a skim.

iBK6Y4a.jpg

WuK1bHR.jpg

But it fits!

i3MmMjs.jpg

And i got it! I gotta say, it gets clooooooooose to the tension springs and it is really really hard to be gentle there, but, it's allll clean.

VGbNrHT.jpg

12135471_1679616325607222_871924366_n.jp

I am constantly impressed with your dedication to the project. I always wanted to do a build, but I'll be damned if this wasn't enough for me to say "fcuk that noise" and just wait till I can buy something finished :lol2:

Awesome work man, glad to see it coming together!

I am constantly impressed with your dedication to the project. I always wanted to do a build, but I'll be damned if this wasn't enough for me to say "fcuk that noise" and just wait till I can buy something finished :lol2:

Awesome work man, glad to see it coming together!

Thanks man! Time and patience goes a long way with a vintage lamborghini.

Thanks man! Time and patience goes a long way with a vintage lamborghini.

Kerlop, If not too late i would get your flywheel and pressure plate balanced before you install it

Kipper

Oh, definitely! Yeah i removed enough material that a rebalance is definitely in order.

On a good note, the throwout bearing i got fits, and i got the slave cylinder rebuilt, i'll post pics later. Today is busy.

• 2 weeks later...
wow, congrats again

is the engine back in ?

Going to give it a shot this weekend. Hopefully soon!

Well, one friend was supposed to come over from the car show with his RWB. Another showed up. And then 3 more people from the show showed up... so we ended up with a full pit crew. We got it tackled no problem.

ixySTMC.jpg

My garage is messy right now, don't judge.

cWZCQOm.jpg

MHKw4cn.jpg

Me and my friend Josh (on the left) working on the mounts.

IcXFTro.jpg

So i couldn't find a mallet or a sledge to get things in place. Our buddy kyle had a hammer hatchet in his car. Why? I have no idea. But it worked.

XQ6uEDj.jpg

I'm a mature adult.

FezF5IB.jpg

Finally, engine, transmission are mated. Clutch is good to go, and everything mounted to the subframe. (transmission not in this photo)

Fq5qnLa.jpg

Next stop... get it in the car. Going paragliding next weekend with the local flying club for the first time in over a year, so in a few weeks I'll work on it.

Ok i got the clutch adjusted with the arm released. When I had installed it, wasn't paying attention and the adjustment screw wasn't in far enough. What a bear to get out. It's 6.5mm end, and all I had was a 7. Using the 7 wouldn't hold it well enough with as tight as it was. A penny and an 8mm did the trick.

This is the first car I've seen that adjusts the clutch in this manner. Talk about weird. Instead of adjusting it at the pedal and having the fork in one place like most cars, the fork/arm is actually adjusted in and out, and then everything else is adjusted after.

I understand the idea behind it, it's just a bit of an odd way to do it. Thankfully I got it backed out enough to get a plunger in, but the one that came with the clutch kit is the wrong size, and I cannot find the factory plunger rod. I may have to spring for a new one, or maybe fab one up. It's $50 from the factory but I can probably make one with my welder out of the one that came with the kit.

Fits the actual slave cyl just find, and pushes on the fork, but the hole at the end of the fork is larger in diameter than the end of the rod itself, so it goes right through once any form of pressure is applied. I'll use some putty and make something similar with a ball on the end with some white lithium to lubricate and should be gold.

You can slightly see here where the fork pushes on the adapter, which the throwout is then pressed onto (already did that).

CHc0Cz8.jpg

Here's the adjustment screw. Basically there's a ball on the other end that has a retaining clip that goes into the release fork.

MrnH5V1.jpg

The rebuilt slave cylinder you can see the rod is already though it, as there's no pressure on the fork.

pSrcfPF.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kerplop. Congrats on yor build. I have also been building an extreme Jalpa # 12071 and am a longtime member of the iother forum. I was the guy that set up cometic and manley for the Jalpa. I am also building a fuel injected but also turbo jalpa. I can help you with a lot of the sticking points as I have already been there. I saw you put an M5 pressure plate on the Jalpa. I am looking for something that will handle aroud 600ft lbs of torque. The performance saks clutch is only 400 but it does fit. What year model m5 did you use and are there performance clutches for them. Watch out for the lambo timing system with the belts and all the connections it is not very accurate. I am machining my balancer to be a 36 t trigger wheel. Lee

Hey Kerplop. Congrats on yor build. I have also been building an extreme Jalpa # 12071 and am a longtime member of the iother forum. I was the guy that set up cometic and manley for the Jalpa. I am also building a fuel injected but also turbo jalpa. I can help you with a lot of the sticking points as I have already been there. I saw you put an M5 pressure plate on the Jalpa. I am looking for something that will handle aroud 600ft lbs of torque. The performance saks clutch is only 400 but it does fit. What year model m5 did you use and are there performance clutches for them. Watch out for the lambo timing system with the belts and all the connections it is not very accurate. I am machining my balancer to be a 36 t trigger wheel. Lee

Thanks for the response. I'll be ditching the stock ignition system soon. I'm also working on a 36-1 trigger wheel setup, I just need to get the exact bits down to do it.

The year of my pressure plate is:

BMW 535I 1985-1988

BMW 535IS 1988

BMW 635CSI 1985-1989

BMW 735I 1985-1987

BMW M5 1988

BMW M6 1987-1988

Part # was LUK 03017.

Worth noting you will need to remove a lot of material for it to clear the inner ring on the flywheel. If you can find an M5 performance kit, you could likely shave it down and make it fit.