Kerplop

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got a finished product at last. Multiple revisions and made some that fit them PERFECTLY with my own flare. Tried one out on my way to breakfast and the fit is perfect. Printing the last few and i'll have a full custom set. Plenums to be printed next. Got another 8 hours of printing to get these out since last 2 are at the same time. I need a larger printer already lol.

30715710_10155202531161744_2396054871666065408_n.jpg

got all of them printed out and in. the flow /seems/ much better, i need to flow test with a meter. but since there's no lip it's unmistakably better. response seems good. i need to get some pretty hardware to make them not just a test fit. after multiple revisions i've got some perfect 100 micron printed 40mm DCNF style velocity stacks.

I already had one guy ask to buy a set on another forum so I was like "alright" and printed off another pair and sold him some. perfect 40mm DCNF velocity stack fit because why settle for retrofitting right?

Haven't slept much. Quit my miserable corporate job to go to work for a local company with a paybump and amazing work. But it's a lot of work. Slept maybe 12 hours this week? Doesn't matter, love my team, love what I do now. This weekend is sleepy time and lambo stuff.

30738549_10155210056846744_4286813760150044672_n.jpg

I see you're still at it ...

Man ... You ARE killing it!!!

Great Work ... Keep it up ...

It's members like you that make Lambo Power the ONLY forum for me ...

I see you're still at it ...

Man ... You ARE killing it!!!

Great Work ... Keep it up ...

It's members like you that make Lambo Power the ONLY forum for me ...

glad y'all are still loving it. next up is a new street tuning session and then a dyno run.

Alright, finally working on the airboxes. My brain hurts enough for one night. Used Rhino to do a quick sketchup of what i want them to look like and am slowly working in google sketchup to get it where it needs to be.

My brain hurts enough for one night so that's enough progress for tonight.

Untitled.png

31655459_10155232538066744_3681819684673421312_o.jpg

31563935_10155232538381744_4832061507644686336_o.jpg

31492586_10155232298786744_63034215641382912_n.jpg

31492586_10155232298786744_63034215641382912_n.jpg

31485841_10155232299071744_4121211370383343616_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Have you dynoed your car yet?

I have not. My machinist expects around 300hp. Then again, Derek E's Jalpa dyno'd in at like 180-190 to the wheels. Stock is 255. I'm uncertain if that's an engine dyno or at the wheels. Either way, regardless, it'll be better than stock and that's all I care about, with efi that starts up happily, runs happily and has zero issues that don't require me constantly fcuking with the bastard DCNFs.

Sorry for the late response everyone. Work has been insanely busy, and even tonight I've gotta get back to it, but I wanted to share the progress of the airboxes, which are ready to print.

zY4jzbB.jpg

csVy9Rm.jpg

58cTDzg.jpg

At high quality, 100 microns, it's going to take roughly 14 to 18 hours for each piece. Should have it on the car by the end of the week if I time it right. Can't wait to see the first one on the car. Finally can have some airboxes to fight the heat of the engine bay!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/26/2018 at 1:00 PM, Surpassing_The_Heavens said:

How'd the air boxes turn out?

They were good but I got a new printer since then with a bigger build area.  I've upgraded it for carbon fiber, so I am reprinting them in carbon fiber.

Update: Cause it's been a fuckin' while.  I've been busy.  The jalpa was up and about happily during the summer but I ended up having an issue with the clutch that was self inflicted.  There is a small plate, which has a spring behind it.  I'm uncertain what it's for.  Anyway, during my time of being in a huge spurt of "I AM SO EXCITED TO DRIVE IT!" I forgot to put the 3 locking nuts on the guide tube for the throwout bearing.

Over time... it got pushed out by this plate.  In the end, it became a metal lathe for the inner ring on the clutch plate.  No damage done to anything major, it was ugly, but it eventually stopped engaging.  It caused an engine out.  I've since fixed that.  "While i was down there", did an inspection and found that my machinist had tightened ALL of the runners way too far, and 3/6 are cracked on the edges near the bolts.

He is now in arizona and dissolved his business, so there's nothing I can do about it.  I have some aluminum solder sticks and I'm going to attempt to repair them.  If I can't, well, I know a guy who fixed my heads who can weld them up.  They do not appear to be letting up past the o-rings, so no potential damage to anything pulling too much air on one cylinder (I caught it early).

As well, I've been working on some rad shit.  I've had no luck on getting the gauges properly repaired, and everyone i've spoken to who touches jaeger gauges only touch the british jaeger gauges, not the italian gauges.

But that's ok.  I came up with an idea some time ago.  There's a group out there dedicated to making tunerstudio dashboards.  Most of these guys make full on dashboards intended for race cars.  But I thought, "Well, a dashboard is nothing more than full screen mode of the "dash" you made, what if I replicate the gauges, put them on some lcds?"

I searched high and low for them and eventually found that indeed, some companies make these, some for watches, some for home systems.  I bought a set of them and made some.  Now, mind you, this is not the fully finished version, I'm still working on it, but they work!  Best part, I can have it be a mixture of my tacho, my speedo, my afr, and anything I want from my standalone ecu.  Currently working on prototyping out a mount for it that'll work to mount it to the dash and insert them into the stock pods so it fits like a stock gauge would.

KvZewqx.jpg

Here's a vid of it working from my fb.

Printing out a test mount for it, pretty stoked.

17 hours ago, Kerplop said:

They were good but I got a new printer since then with a bigger build area.  I've upgraded it for carbon fiber, so I am reprinting them in carbon fiber.

Update: Cause it's been a fuckin' while.  I've been busy.  The jalpa was up and about happily during the summer but I ended up having an issue with the clutch that was self inflicted.  There is a small plate, which has a spring behind it.  I'm uncertain what it's for.  Anyway, during my time of being in a huge spurt of "I AM SO EXCITED TO DRIVE IT!" I forgot to put the 3 locking nuts on the guide tube for the throwout bearing.

Over time... it got pushed out by this plate.  In the end, it became a metal lathe for the inner ring on the clutch plate.  No damage done to anything major, it was ugly, but it eventually stopped engaging.  It caused an engine out.  I've since fixed that.  "While i was down there", did an inspection and found that my machinist had tightened ALL of the runners way too far, and 3/6 are cracked on the edges near the bolts.

He is now in arizona and dissolved his business, so there's nothing I can do about it.  I have some aluminum solder sticks and I'm going to attempt to repair them.  If I can't, well, I know a guy who fixed my heads who can weld them up.  They do not appear to be letting up past the o-rings, so no potential damage to anything pulling too much air on one cylinder (I caught it early).

As well, I've been working on some rad shit.  I've had no luck on getting the gauges properly repaired, and everyone i've spoken to who touches jaeger gauges only touch the british jaeger gauges, not the italian gauges.

But that's ok.  I came up with an idea some time ago.  There's a group out there dedicated to making tunerstudio dashboards.  Most of these guys make full on dashboards intended for race cars.  But I thought, "Well, a dashboard is nothing more than full screen mode of the "dash" you made, what if I replicate the gauges, put them on some lcds?"

I searched high and low for them and eventually found that indeed, some companies make these, some for watches, some for home systems.  I bought a set of them and made some.  Now, mind you, this is not the fully finished version, I'm still working on it, but they work!  Best part, I can have it be a mixture of my tacho, my speedo, my afr, and anything I want from my standalone ecu.  Currently working on prototyping out a mount for it that'll work to mount it to the dash and insert them into the stock pods so it fits like a stock gauge would.

KvZewqx.jpg

Here's a vid of it working from my fb.

Printing out a test mount for it, pretty stoked

That's pretty sweet! Nice to see your continued ingenuity and creativity! Keep up the great work! 

Need to realign the gauge to the screen since i had to move it up ever so slightly in the ring to make it stay.  Once that's done, it'll be a done deal

M3Noc6C.jpg

That's enough for one night, i'm pooped.  It's looking promising though.

TuRfgOz.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll keep posting progress as I make more.  I'm going to try and repair the runners this week sometime.  I have a few 3d printing projects I took on as contract work I need to get done and work has been crazy to boot, so I'm trying to make time.

That's awesome D, congrats!  It's great to know that you are able to integrate modern tech to resurrect a vintage model while doing your best to preserve its authenticity.  Keep us posted on the progress please.

3d printed the pods, mounted them to the rings, printed threads inside them so they mount up just like the OEM gauge.  I need to re-align them because i had to wipe my whole installation since the latest tunerstudio version for linux was fucked.

I rolled back, now i gotta re-arrange shit again but here you go.