Kerplop

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what are your plans for the clutch?

My understanding is that it's a BMW M5 clutch. I will have to see how it looks before I make up my mind there. I might just resurface and toss in a new disc and pressure plate. That will all depend on what I find. At this rate, the way the rest has looked, probably go through all of it.

There is a clutch, pp, to bearing on ebay now, snatch it up assuming its the right one.

I did the M6 clutch and it required work, not just a bolt on. Also the TO bearing was really expensive IIRC, see my thread for the gory details. Also even with machining i couldnt get the spec freeplay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAMBORGHINI-ESPADA...1e6&vxp=mtr

There is a clutch, pp, to bearing on ebay now, snatch it up assuming its the right one.

I did the M6 clutch and it required work, not just a bolt on. Also the TO bearing was really expensive IIRC, see my thread for the gory details. Also even with machining i couldnt get the spec freeplay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAMBORGHINI-ESPADA...1e6&vxp=mtr

That's the thing is I'm kind of worried about getting parts on ebay unless I know they'll work. Will measure everything as I take it out and then start snagging parts up.

yes a bit of a crap shoot. that listing has been there for a month or so, probably not going anywhere.

I have the parts listed for the M5 (edit: sorry) setup, as well as the TO bearing, clutch fork, and guide bearing.

Got one of the antennas off. I think this is one of the antennas 360challenge was talking about.. It came right off. The other is bolted on (I don't think that's an ultrasmith device). I still have a lot of spare carbon fiber and am going to see if I can make a tasteful blockoff plate for it. Otherwise, if I can't, I'll leave it for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Meeting with my machinist next week. Heads are cleaned up very well. He said they look fantastic. Next will be ordering parts and assembly. Block comes after. Pics soon.

I just want to take a moment to thank the community. Since I was a teenager, all I could imagine was owning and restoring a Lamborghini. Many of you have pushed me, motivated me and had conversations with me about this. 2014 has been a challenging year for me. Major life changes, divorce, a lot of personal and family stuff going on. But through all of it, the various members on here that have pushed me and motivated me throughout the years have played a major role in my life.

I know I haven't met you guys in person, but it's amazing how a few positive influences in your life can make for major motivation. AllanLambo, RomanDad, Fortis, Skokos, PeterK and Peter throughout the years (to name only a FEW).

This community has felt like a second family to me. Once the Jalpa is done I plan on a road trip and I hope to meet at least some of you guys.

I just want to say thank you. Thank you for the motivation, thank you for the positive reinforcement and thank you for everything. This is quite literally a childhood dream come true. I realize that in comparison to the guys who are restoring things like Miuras, working on Diablos, etc, that a Jalpa is minimal by comparison. But all I've wanted is to bring one of these cars back to life and I am doing just that.

There are still times that I go out to the garage, smoke a cigar with a glass of scotch and just stare at the car. It feels like an honor to even have a bull of ANY kind in the stable. When I'm actually turning a wrench on it I just feel at home.

Again, I know this sounds sappy, but thank you everyone. This means the world to me. I can't thank this community enough. If you work hard enough, dreams can come true. Despite whatever comes your way and what obstacles you may encounter, it's doable.

Road trip sounds amazing!

I can't wait to see you finish the car, I was so happy when you've bought the car and the fact that you are teaching yourself how to restore it is absolutely amazing to me! Keep up the good work!

Kerplop, watching you build this thing is motivation. You're right, this isn't a V12 car, but honestly it's more interesting to me to see vehicles that don't have much documentation torn apart in detail. Thank you for sharing what you have done to this car.

**Your Porsche builds were great too.

I just want to take a moment to thank the community. Since I was a teenager, all I could imagine was owning and restoring a Lamborghini. Many of you have pushed me, motivated me and had conversations with me about this. 2014 has been a challenging year for me. Major life changes, divorce, a lot of personal and family stuff going on. But through all of it, the various members on here that have pushed me and motivated me throughout the years have played a major role in my life.

I know I haven't met you guys in person, but it's amazing how a few positive influences in your life can make for major motivation. AllanLambo, RomanDad, Fortis, Skokos, PeterK and Peter throughout the years (to name only a FEW).

This community has felt like a second family to me. Once the Jalpa is done I plan on a road trip and I hope to meet at least some of you guys.

I just want to say thank you. Thank you for the motivation, thank you for the positive reinforcement and thank you for everything. This is quite literally a childhood dream come true. I realize that in comparison to the guys who are restoring things like Miuras, working on Diablos, etc, that a Jalpa is minimal by comparison. But all I've wanted is to bring one of these cars back to life and I am doing just that.

There are still times that I go out to the garage, smoke a cigar with a glass of scotch and just stare at the car. It feels like an honor to even have a bull of ANY kind in the stable. When I'm actually turning a wrench on it I just feel at home.

Again, I know this sounds sappy, but thank you everyone. This means the world to me. I can't thank this community enough. If you work hard enough, dreams can come true. Despite whatever comes your way and what obstacles you may encounter, it's doable.

:bj:

: :icon_mrgreen:

:bj:

: :icon_mrgreen:

Lol

As whiteout says, restoring one of these is I think MORE of a challenge compared to the normal V12s. My work was fairly minimal in comparison to what you're doing and you're doing a great job! I'm in the same boat...would never be able to keep this car if I couldn't do most of the work myself so the work you're doing is great for others who may want to pick up a Jalpa and don't have endless funds. And you're saving a piece of history. Keep on trucking

Always happy to help another struggling owner get in over his head..

The one major way that I am glad we all helped you is that most guys who get help, then get the car...then wind up disappearing. Only to pop up with a question or want help with something. Or the car winds up for sale for various reasons. Not you, seems like we're stuck with you :) :icon_thumleft:

If you are up for it, I hoped to be able to bring mine to you for reference and inspiration. I will try to head your way when the pass clears up this spring. It will be fantastic to have another Jalpa in the area. We will have to plan some local runs when you get up and going. Don't forget, my car is available for you to look at anytime you come to this side of the mountains.

Can't wait to see it back together. Good work Derek!

Went to the machinist today. The heads cleaned up VERY nicely. Some pitting in the head gasket areas (which appears to be common from other owners I've talked to). Nothing insane, he said it's quite easy to repair. The areas for the oil tubes look amazing, the valve train area looks fantastic. Overall the heads look fantastic.

I gave him the green light on the final cleaning, we wanted to see what they looked like, they look fine. He will proceed with full disassembly, repairs for any pitting, adding any material necessary, and then parts will be ordered and the heads will be completed.

Some pics. I'm a total derp and forgot to get pics of the combustion chamber after I left, I'll get them next time. Here's the rest.

KkXj0Tw.jpg

UMFhGnx.jpg

The insides weren't cleaned (yet), just the outside to see what we were working at. But compare...

PfZM3S0.jpg

Oil return tube passages look stained, but flawless and in perfect shape. (obviously all the old bolts and nuts need to be replaced, they're old and gross) - below it, you can see the old emissions attachments, which hopefully I can convert to euro and get rid of.

umPWvl7.jpg

Just so you get an idea of how badly these needed cleaned up....

V6I7yKp.jpg

Sledge offered some advice when I was getting hung up on getting the transmission separated from the block. It's now separated. Now I can tear down the block. FINALLY. Pics in a few. For now, a cigar to celebrate.

This engine is so incredibly dirty it isn't even funny. It's like no one ever cleaned this fcuking thing. Will take it out back next week and degrease the hell out of it and clean it up all nice and new. But since I love seeing PROGRESS, here is the before. :)

rIiINocl.jpg

DxLJ47Al.jpg