Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

So, I'm getting mad at LA Sleeve.

2 or 3 weeks ago I'm told they'd have them done. They come back and say, "yeah the guy who does them is on vacation."

He comes back from vacation and the milling machine is down. They say it should be up that thursday and done that week. I call back later that week and it isn't fixed yet. But I'm told they should be done by the next week. I call back then and they said the machine is about ready and they should be out by end of the next week.

I call back and am told I'd get an update by thursday or friday (going on 3 weeks here). I call back friday and am told the guy in charge left early to go on vacation and will be back tuesday but they should be done by tuesday.

I call back today (tuesday) and am told that yet again, the machine is still down but a tech was there last week to work on it but they don't have a specific ETA.

What the fcuk, LA Sleeve. We're 3 weeks past what I was told and I cannot put my engine together WITHOUT SLEEVES. This is ridiculous. $1500 for 4 new sleeves and they can't even do the milling? This is such bullshit, I'm so damn mad. Yeah it's a first world problem, but FFS. So stupid.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would keep bugging them ...but nicely...there are probably many other jobs on hold, and you don't want to go to the back of the pack :rolleyes:

When you order parts from Je and others make sure you use a "commercial account"...like your engine assembler, you tend to get at least 15 % off list price

That price seems high since they start from pipe stock and CNC (lathe and mill) the part. In other words a repeatable automated process !

Paul

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Surprising how many stories you hear like this in the exotic car world.

I have been having no luck finding a decent local mechanic. Fortunately I am only trying to get little stuff done, but I cannot find a competent mechanic to save my life!

Yeah, I went through similar with my engine work. I finally gave up on following up. It'll get there!

Good news though, they're FINALLY on the way. *sigh* took long enough.

I would keep bugging them ...but nicely...there are probably many other jobs on hold, and you don't want to go to the back of the pack :rolleyes:

When you order parts from Je and others make sure you use a "commercial account"...like your engine assembler, you tend to get at least 15 % off list price

That price seems high since they start from pipe stock and CNC (lathe and mill) the part. In other words a repeatable automated process !

Paul

JE Was fine. They made some mistakes, but they communicated well, owned it and fixed it in a jiff. They didn't keep me going. LA Sleeve on the other hand hasn't communicated that well. I find it funny that their website claims they are all about amazing customer service but thus far it's been anything but that.

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Surprising how many stories you hear like this in the exotic car world.

I have been having no luck finding a decent local mechanic. Fortunately I am only trying to get little stuff done, but I cannot find a competent mechanic to save my life!

It's amazing to me. These vendors charge a shit ton of money for their products. My sleeves are going to end up being about $1500 for 4 of them. All this and you'd think they'd be happy to do me right instead of stringing me about making me wait and not communicating worth a damn. So frustrating. I suppose it must be the supply vs demand thing. "Well who else will they go to? We don't need good customer service, fcuk it."

Perhaps I'm simply making assumptions. Regardless, my experience with them has been sub-par in terms of communication. I will not be doing business with them again.

Communication in business is most important particularly in situations where customers are waiting for goods/services, I would excuse many other things because things can happen out of people's control but I would never excuse poor communication, that's just terrible, if they communicate you can make alternative arrangements and take preemptive actions so you don't stagnate.

Communication in business is most important particularly in situations where customers are waiting for goods/services, I would excuse many other things because things can happen out of people's control but I would never excuse poor communication, that's just terrible, if they communicate you can make alternative arrangements and take preemptive actions so you don't stagnate.

Agreed entirely. I can deal with equipment failures and things that are messed up if a company communicates and goes out of their way to fix it. What I really hate is feeling like I'm on the backburner and not a priority, and being given timelines and deadlines and no followup when those aren't met. It frustrates the hell out of me.

Agreed entirely. I can deal with equipment failures and things that are messed up if a company communicates and goes out of their way to fix it. What I really hate is feeling like I'm on the backburner and not a priority, and being given timelines and deadlines and no followup when those aren't met. It frustrates the hell out of me.

Don't do business with them again, also I would send them an email with your feedback, sometimes people don't understand how much damaged lack of communication causes, hopefully they will learn from it and better themselves in the future.

Don't do business with them again, also I would send them an email with your feedback, sometimes people don't understand how much damaged lack of communication causes, hopefully they will learn from it and better themselves in the future.

I'll wait until I receive my sleeves and can confirm they are machined properly first and then most certainly do so.

Sleeves have arrived and appear to be all good to go. Have a huge box of parts to drop off at the machinist tomorrow and the engine should be on the dyno soon. Although I am still waiting on some gaskets from bullstuff but... hopefully they get here soon.

Some before and after

qeTvKO3.jpg

UxU4FrA.jpg

dycUr0Q.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

water pump rebuild kit, gaskets, misc bearings and all kinds of random crap in here.

F58QCEn.jpg

Sorry for the OT but you know what? The colour of your filtered sun would look awesome on an Aventador SV! :icon_mrgreen:

"Step 1: Rub salt into the wounds." :D

__

I cant believe they could refurbish those heads, congrats having such a good man working on them!

Ordered ITBs from Borla. Super sexy ITBs are on the way. I've got a date with some lotion and a towel, brb.

62.jpg

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

:lol2: I'm glad someone likes ITBs as much as I do.

Love ITBs. Really 2ould like to do that with the mustang but not sure about the price being worth it.

At this point I feel like i'm on cloud 9. I've spent 3 years on this car, and I am finally so close to dyno time and having my own, running, driving, restored (my way) lamborghini. I've wanted this since I was a little kid. It hardly feels real.

At this point I feel like i'm on cloud 9. I've spent 3 years on this car, and I am finally so close to dyno time and having my own, running, driving, restored (my way) lamborghini. I've wanted this since I was a little kid. It hardly feels real.

3 years ? :shock: doesn't time fly? I am very happy for you and I can't wait to see it on the road.

3 years ? :shock: doesn't time fly? I am very happy for you and I can't wait to see it on the road.

October will be the 3 year mark.

• 2 weeks later...

We start the morning off with the air boxes being rusty and completely in need of rebuild, desperately.

20161010_160021.jpg

The bearings, all shot. Some moved, but not very well.

20161010_201037.jpg

The runners also in dire need of help. Thankfully, I Have access to a media blaster.

20161011_161005.jpg

20161011_194031.jpg

At the same time, today, my ITBs arrived.

14516512_10153767593836744_6233203952598566362_n.jpg

14670837_10153767593761744_7066494495296527678_n.jpg

14716205_10153767593466744_444407253179617774_n.jpg

After media blasting for a good hour and a half, putting things together, I did a quick put together of what they'll sort of look like after I'm done. Still need to wash the glass beads off everything.

20161011_194632__1_.jpg

20161011_195153.jpg

You are keeping the air boxes? I expected you do drop them and go with the open Euro setup. What led you to keep them (if that is the plan)?

You are keeping the air boxes? I expected you do drop them and go with the open Euro setup. What led you to keep them (if that is the plan)?

The engine bay is very hot. I'm going to remake the filter portion of the air plenums to increase airflow. The scoop for the fresh air on the driver side is a great idea, it's just that with the angles the filter box takes, it isn't terribly efficient. On the other hand, if I get rid of the air boxes, they're going to just suck in hot engine bay air, and that's not horribly efficient for getting the most power I can.

So instead, I'm going to keep their air boxes, fix the filter box so it flows better to the air scoop on the driver side.