Duck Dynasty/Phil controversy

Castor Troy

The bible also says:

“But if any man thinks that he is behaving himself unseemly toward his virgin daughter, if she be past the flower of her age, and if need so requires, let him do what he will; he is not sinning; let them marry” (1 Corinthians 7:36)

I have a feeling anyone speaking support of this, would find themselves in warranted controversy as well.

That being said, I agree with your assessment this was all manufactured.

Let's assume it says what you think it says (and there are obvious arguments that it doesn't) : So what? So if the bible says something we make illegal, ISNT a sin, that is proof of what? Great. I'm not sinning... I'm still going to prison....

Are you trying to make some sort of argument that "sin" necessarily must be codified into law or vice versa?

Yeah. I get it. The ancients had less of a problem with ideas like statutory rape, ages of consent and incest... But If it weren't for incest, most ancient cultures (and many modern indigenous people for that matter) would cease to exist. Yeah. Our society looks down on it and criminalizes it... What does that have to do with the bible?

The religious find themselves having to follow two sets of law. God's and man's and the two usually have nothing to do with each other.

Thankfully most conflicts in the two, at least as far as Christianity goes, is covered by that eleventh commandment- Love your neighbor.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully most conflicts in the two, at least as far as Christianity goes, is covered by that eleventh commandment- Love your neighbor.

Sadly, most don't heed it.

But anyway, regarding this entire Phil Robertson debacle.. seriously? We must be doing very well as a country if this is the most troubling news on our minds to be getting into an uproar about. Personally I refuse to give a damn as there are only so many I can give and I would rather exhaust them on more important matters.

I am not myself religious and do fully support what I believe is the right of same sex couples to marry. I believe what makes people of the same sex attracted to each other is something wrongly-wired in the brain. Maybe it is a form of psychological illness, if you will, but one that is harmless in terms of the behavior it engenders.

I wish more Christians would adhere to the "Hate the sin, not the sinner" and "Love thy neighbor" bits because many seem extraordinarily judgmental and this IMO is what creates these zealous-like LGBT rights folk. All that said, however, I also do not like what I perceive is this "War on Christianity" in the U.S. where Christians are supposed to be afraid to air/voice their beliefs. Where you put up a Nativity display and you're getting sued by the ACLU or whatnot.

All that said, I in particular find it hilarious that Charlie Sheen (yes, Charlie Sheen) is "threatening" Phil Robertson with a "MaSheen-style beat down" if he doesn't repent. I am sure that Phil guy is just quaking in his boots over the idea of Charlie Sheen coming after him.

In my humble opinion, the uproar comes from the silent majority, being the Christians, never speaking up against anything and yet groups like Gladd speak up and cause trouble every time someone says something that they think hurts their cause which is part of the problem in this country, again in my opinion. Phil quoted scripture and they don't like it. I applaud him for saying the truth based on his belief which happens to be mine as well and I hope a whole bunch of others on this board. If A&E support groups like Gladd over Christians like Phil then they have a problem since about 2 million have signed a petition to either reinstate or lose viewers. That number is growing like wildfire. Its huge for believers, maybe just not huge to you. This country was founded on God and his word. Last I checked, we have taken God out of schools and everything else and this country is the worst I have ever seen. Just a coincidence? Doubt it. Make sense?

You have every right to disagree.

And disagree I shall, Bill. Debating poorly thought out (imo) opinions however? Eh, no thanks.. done that more than once now and I honestly just don't have the time or patience for it anymore. I come here for the cars mostly, anyway.

Though I don't share your views, I still wish you all the best.

I've never watched shows like this, Duck Dynasty, Honey Boo Boo, Jersey Shore, Kardashians, they seem so retarded. I don't get the appeal. I barely have enough time to live my own life let alone someone else's.

Best post ever.

Best post ever.

Word. I was flipping through channels the other night and there was some old fart talking about the dangers of dealing with bears while taking a dump in his outhouse in the middle of nowhere in Alaska.

Seriously?!

Word. I was flipping through channels the other night and there was some old fart talking about the dangers of dealing with bears while taking a dump in his outhouse in the middle of nowhere in Alaska.

Seriously?!

He was following the advice of your quote ;)

I have heard 10X the uproar about these Duck Dynasty douchebags than I did about out Govt allowing our people to be slaughtered in Benghazi. Not sure why Phil Robertson is so important. fcuk him. I have seen the show, he seems like a nice guy, but who gives a shit. Seriously. People need to get out of the house more often. Go fight crime or play with your kids or something...

On second thought, I'm going to load up some hellfire missiles and do this from the air in the South Dallas area!

That sounds like fun. Post some video. A video of some bank robber's vehicle getting lit up like the Taliban would go viral...

Wondering people's opinions about what he said in that video (where he was talking about those who won't enter Heaven)?

You can read it in 1st Corinthians in the bible. It was basically the same thing he said to GQ so I say same complaints and same support. It all depends on if you believe the bible text was inspired by God as his word or you don't believe it. That's the great thing about being able to make your own choice in life. I'm not going to argue about it. Most have already made up their minds I guess.

Well the thing that made me curious was the tone with which he talks in the video. I think that is what turns many people off, because it sounds judgmental to many.

I agree, the tone is pretty harsh, especially since he is talking to his church which already believe the same thing.

That they believe the same thing doesn't mean he has to talk with such a judgmental tone. He says they don't judge, but the tone in the video seems pretty judgmental IMO.

ANNNNNNNDDDD he's back on the show. Big PR stunt! Anyone who is surprised should see my listings for oceanfront property in Indiana....

I think its just a big coincidence that they brought him back after selling out all of the duck merchandise at Walmart before Christmas!

Anyone think Phil did this on purpose? He's not stupid. He is a part time preacher. Has a son who left his preaching position to be on the show to reach a bigger audience. Phil has already said he doesn't have long term plans to be a part of the show. I feel like Phil decided to use his celebrity status to state his beliefs to create this controversy. Don't think he thought it would amount to as much as it has, but I do think he wanted to use this as a platform to preach from.

Tolerance is a two way street. Those who don't agree don't have a grasp on compromise and have unrealistic expectations and demand special treatment. Life doesn't work that way, nor should it. Who cares what people from a TV show think. They're position is to remain in the spotlight, regardless of whether you agree or not, using the Duck Dynasty crew as a 'pillar of moral direction', or a 'beacon of hope' is a fool's game.

Know what you believe, and why you do. If someone agrees with you great, if not, good. It might cause you to think, it may even strengthen your resolve and make you better prepared to defend you perspectives.

If your not that's your choice but I'm sick and tired of homosexuals cramming their lifestyle down our throat. They tried to get this TV show canceled and they failed.

After millenia of cramming the crammers have become the cramee's. I'm all for believing your own beliefs, but I'm more for keeping that to yourself.

Religious people be religious, just stop trying to shove your beliefs down peoples throats, the same with gays too. I don't care, just leave me out of it.

I'm sick and tired of homosexuals cramming their lifestyle down our throat.

Are you partial to a different brand? :icon_mrgreen:

Lifestyle_Mega_XL_LRG.jpg

Sorry Bill, that one was too easy. I couldn't pass it up.

Fame and fortune is not what these people want or care for. Their ministry is far more important than that if you study this family at length. I am a flawed person just like every Christian is and just as this family is but their beacon of hope is Christ and God's word. No person or family can by itself be a beacon of hope except Jesus and I just happen to feel the same as they do and support their cause. I'm happy the voice of Christians made a difference as they have always been the silent majority In my opinion. Its ok to hang your hat on what a family on TV represents if that is what you believe in. Its not a fools game but a wise persons game if you are a believer. If your not that's your choice but I'm sick and tired of homosexuals cramming their lifestyle down our throat.

No one can convince me that if you star in a reality-style television show that you don't want some sort of fame or fortune, regardless of how one portrays it, in this case as a boon for business or their faith.

The beauty of our country is the religious freedom we are entitled too. I have no problem with anyone believing in a high-power or a religious faith however they see fit. I may and often do disagree with many on that, but that's OK. Everyone should realize they may not agree with another, but that they don't, nor should they be an asshole about it.

My problem lies with the group that take Phil as gospel and get worked up over a media smear campaign. Yes I understand that may irk some people on both sides of the fence, but so be it. Life isn't rainbows and lollipops (ok maybe during the Pride parade, but i digress) These people get more worked up on what major celebrity said what about the Dynasty family, but couldn't tell you in what country and under which circumstances their fellow Christians were persecuted in the Middle East in blatant religious murders and imprisonments in China or North Korea. It doesn't make sense to me. I suppose its priorities. It's easy to be upset and do the whole "slacktivism" sign and on-line petition or don't tune into a network or whatever. I find it incredibly disingenuous to be upset about a reality TV star voicing his opinion and not the pastor in Iran who was imprisoned for years because of his faith (no word on his preferred spelling of Kabob (I actually mean kebab)), a true martyr by my standards.

/End rant

I was voicing my opinion on a thread that it applied too. If you define that is shoving religion down your throat then none of us should give their opinion ever I guess? I did not start a thread on religion. I'm not ashamed of what I believe and can give my opinion I hope.

I wasn't saying you were shoving any religion on people. I'm saying that religious people have shoved their belief's on others for millennia. Now the opposite is happening and somehow it's now offensive to shove beliefs down someones throat.

I wasn't saying you were shoving any religion on people. I'm saying that religious people have shoved their belief's on others for millennia. Now the opposite is happening and somehow it's now offensive to shove beliefs down someones throat.

:iamwithstupid:

Thank whatever god(s) that you believe in (or none at all) that we CAN have this discussion openly, in a public setting, on the internet and not be scared of being thrown into a "work camp." Duck call makers/celebrities aside, this is fundamentally a civil rights issue. You don't have to part of the "gay community" (I'm not) to be on their side and defend their right to marriage - however they want it. They want equal protection under the law and want to be able to have a marriage no different than a straight couple. This is not a big deal to secular people such as myself. Not that it should matter - gay marriage isn't going to destroy regular, straight marriages. If you want to live your life like that - FINE. If gay people want to marry and adopt kids - FINE. Let people be.

But when you say that gay sex is comparable to bestiality and then say that black people actually liked Jim Crow era laws - that's over the line. And calling this whole clusterfuck anything other than a total PR scam, is a load of bullshit. A&E execs should be smiling every time they hear about this and every time it gets mentioned. There's no such that as bad publicity and now everyone (including me who doesn't really watch television) knows this guy's name, what show he's on, what the show is about, what channel it's on, and what his primary focus is on the show. I know there are guys in the entertainment biz on here - I've worked around it enough to know that this is GOLDEN for A&E. Did Phil Robertson bash A&E to holy hell after he got "cut?" No. Did his whole family sever ties with them? No. He's back on in enough time to stay relevant in the media and without any blood on his hands from A&E, who didn't do this under pressure from the gay community but did it to pump a shit ton of publicity into their product. If anything, the gay community was merely a pawn in this whole exercise. That, in and of itself, should be the most offensive thing here. A&E doesn't really care or they would have totally cut him from the show - no questions asked. If the people on the show really cared about their values and didn't care about money or fame, they would say "Fine, we don't need you, goodbye!" - and then DECLINE any involvement in an organization that would criticize or fire you for your firm religious beliefs.

They did say fine we will go elsewhere. They said the show would not go own without Phil. All the networks wanted them as well. Also, he did not compare homosexuality to Beastlity. All he stated is what the bible states. If you are uncomfortable with it and don't believe in God then you have that right just like he had the right to quote God's word. If you live in this country, The United States, then you might notice that this country was built on God and the Bible. If you don't believe me pull a hundred dollar bill out and read the back. Phil said he loves everyone but feels compelled to state what the word of God says. I have seen the show a half a dozen times and its been out for 4 years. Everything he said he said out of love for mankind. Not one thing wrong with it, period. Man, you really read bits and pieces and listened to the media on this one. He said he worked along side the blacks and they were as happy as he was.

The quote about bestiality is right there. He made homosexual behavior a sort of "gateway" to things like bestiality. That's comparing being gay to fcuking a sheep. Clear as day.

And he said that he never saw mistreatment of black people - that they were happy. And that this was "pre-welfare, pre-entitlement." As if civil rights were a fcuking entitlement program. And just because they were happy or appeared happy or weren't directly beaten in front of him in that era does not mean they were free or they weren't mistreated elsewhere.

And we are free because there is a "wall" of separation between Church and State. Our founding (deist) fathers were far from the Bible-thumping radicals that are running this country now. While the Declaration may make a reference to a "Creator," the Constitution is a secular document. Many of our founding fathers were deists - and their own views on religion seemed quite radical considering this was at the beginning of the Enlightenment. Jefferson was quite fond of Voltaire and in his writings it is quite clear he wasn't too fond of the whole notion of the supernatural, even writing it out in his own version of the Bible.

And "In God We Trust" was added to the back of our paper currency in 1956 under the fear that we would become goddless commies. It wasn't there before and no one freaked out about it.

Again. Believe what you want. But saying that this is a fundamentalist Christian nation 100% is just not accurate. Nor is saying that people who choose not to believe in this are parts of minorities.

1090129[/url]']

Believe me, I did not say this is a 100% Christian fundamentalist country. Far from it but possibly the majority and I'm not sure of that. It use to be.

Stig, I like the discussion and respect your comments. They are your beliefs and should be respected.

As do I. Thank you. I think you have good intentions- I just disagree with you in some areas.

David, this is a thread about the Duck Dynasty ordeal so I have given an opinion, I don't think I was being an asshole at any point towards anyone. Certainly was not my intent and you may not even be talking about me. If someone wants to start a thread on the pastor in Iran I'm sure their will be comments made about it both good and bad. Just because that particular subject was not brought up in this thread does not mean me or anyone else believes its not a priority or no one cares. The discussion is Duck Dynasty. That is the subject. Start one on the pastor and I will make a comment on that thread. A simple opinion is all I have either way. I'm not going to argue about it either way. I'm not going to belittle anyone here. I think everyone is just trying to do their best in whatever they believe.

You weren't being an asshole, nor was I say you personally shouldn't have an opinion on a socially volatile subject, i was speaking in generalities. And God help us that "the discussion is Duck Dynasty" on LP :lol2: