Duck Dynasty/Phil controversy

Castor Troy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man...how old are those pictures.. ?!?

Looks like a failed attempt at a smear campaign.. bringing up photos from "way back when" doesn't prove anything

Yes it's real. There's very little reality in reality TV.

What? Next you'll tell me that all that time I spent hunting for squatches was a waste of time...and aliens didn't build the pyramids...and that honey boo boo is an animatronic robot. Reality is a relative term now a days. I can't even imagine what the most poular shows will be in twenty years.

Anyone know if this is real? Just saw someone post on Facebook.

http://politicalblindspot.com/how-a-wealth...-for-publicity/

Yeah... They used to shave... And Willie used to be skinny... :jack:

What the "never been outside of a city" guy who wrote this doesn't get, is this. My brother in law shaves. He dresses in "normal" clothes. He also takes the entire month of November off from work... Wears camo the whole damn month, hunts every day, and looks just like them. He used to be skinny too (although, when it comes to hiking through heavy brush, he absolutely kicks my ass). He gets out of a warm bed at 4AM, to go sit in a cold, rainy, snowy tree stand... He comes in 12 hours later covered in facepaint and dirt, and bugs, and christ knows what else.

The point is, people who dont think steak comes from the meat fairy, get it.

I remember when John Stossel asked David Schultz if Pro Wrestling was fake, and shultz smacked stossel across the face so hard it looked like his tongue was going to fall out... Sort of a "yeah, its fake... and its still a million percent tougher than anything you could do." kinda comeback.

I would fcuking LOVE to see the author of this article spend one fcuking day hunting in Louisiana. The heat... The cold... The swamp... The water... The mud... Never mind the myriad of animals that can kill you... These people hang out in the shit you avoid, for FUN! They look forward, all fcuking year, to what you would consider misery. So be careful about what you call fake.

RD, I didn't read the article so my bad there. I know how these good ole boys do it. I grew up with people like that. I meant the Show is fake as are the personas created for the show.

I see Matt H reading this thread. He had experiences with American idol and showed how there is a large element of setup in it. You know the product is maximized for the viewers.

RD, I didn't read the article so my bad there. I know how these good ole boys do it. I grew up with people like that. I meant the Show is fake as are the personas created for the show.

I see Matt H reading this thread. He had experiences with American idol and showed how there is a large element of setup in it. You know the product is maximized for the viewers.

I wasn't referring to you... I was referring to the accompanying article...

Here's the deal... Duck Dynasty isn't their first television show. They've had hunting shows on the outdoor channel for about 5 years now... Before that, they had made hunting videos (which is how they really made their fortune). This is not a new made up look for them...

Sure. The show is scripted. Is the author the only person who thought it wasn't? But to say they're fake cause they weren't born with neck beards seems asinine.

Oh absolutely, I know all reality shows are completely faked and scripted. I just wondered if those pics were really them or not.

Yes. It's them.

I've seen the show a couple times and definitely found it more endeering than most of the other garbage on tv. There is a reason behind it being the success it is. The show actually promotes family values rather than making a mockery of them like practically every other "reality" show out there. If there is one thing that contributes the most to the amount of criticism concerning whether the Robertson's are genuine or not it's their cultural counterparts that have already characterized the genre. Are they acting? Yes. The difference is they are basically faking what is already their real life. Most of the other nonsense is fake people trying to act like real people.

Most of the other nonsense is fake people trying to act like real people.
They have become parodies of themselves, for money. I applaud that but can't respect it.

It is just a matter of time before the kids of these guys wind up on TMZ in a coke'd out mugshot and they are asking for privacy and your prayers while they work through a hard time. Sure I'll pray for them... to fail. I say fcuk'em, parade their asses around for one and all to see. THAT is the reality we really want and what we have been waiting for. I see a special event, a live stream of their junkie kid coming down off smack. Ratings bonanza!

They have become parodies of themselves, for money. I applaud that but can't respect it.

It is just a matter of time before the kids of these guys wind up on TMZ in a coke'd out mugshot and they are asking for privacy and your prayers while they work through a hard time. Sure I'll pray for them... to fail. I say fcuk'em, parade their asses around for one and all to see. THAT is the reality we really want and what we have been waiting for. I see a special event, a live stream of their junkie kid coming down off smack. Ratings bonanza!

So, you're pre-condemning them for when their kids turn out bad and celebrating that tragedy, despite the fact none of them have yet? You have got to be kidding me?

There's an element of serious pathology to your post... You have no reason to believe your vision of their CHilDReN's future is correct, but you're hoping it will be because it makes you feel better about yourself....

Anybody's kids can turn out bad... And there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it... Rich poor, famous, anonymous, hell how many families have one kid who turns out good and another turns out bad.... But you're actively rooting for them to have troubles? People you've never met, who've done nothing to you? Because why? You think that proves something bigger?

Nothing Phil Robertson said compares in ugliness to hoping somebody else's child develops a drug problem...

No matter what there will always be sour grapes haters that can't stand the success of someone they don't identify with. Who gives a shit if this family didn't all have beards and wear camo 10 years ago. Kardashian wasn't blowing thug rappers then either. Ok bad example but you get the point. The show is entertainment and along with a little acting they actually run a respectable business. They makes no bones about the fact they would rather be out on their land enjoying themselves over work and that balance makes it entertaining. We have scumbag politicians all over this country that really do lie,cheat and steal from the public and the best these hacks come up with is attacking these guys? I would love to see Sara palin come on for a cameo and watch these libs heads explode. It's not good enough to just not watch,they want to tell you to not watch as well. I say go watch Ellen and leave duck dynasty to the people that enjoy watching it for whatever reason it is they watch. I would bet the farm that one of the Jenner girls will be in rehab long before any duck dynasty kid. Their parents actually parent.

You have no reason to believe your vision of their CHilDReN's future is correct, but you're hoping it will be because it makes you feel better about yourself....
So if you were suddenly to become a reality star as a lounge-act drag-queen, your kid would grow up totally normal?

Reality shows have terrible records for cast members after the show stops. Divorces, murder, suicide, drugs, alcohol, bankruptcy, etc...

I am not wishing it on them, but I am saying that there is a high probability and the bloodlust is there. When it happens and you have opted your life to become a TV property, you have to be willing to accept that people will want to see the bad just as much as the good.

It gives viewers the feeling that everyone is human, and the one thing people eat up more than that failure, is the begging for redemption and coming back.

Nothing Phil Robertson said compares in ugliness to hoping somebody else's child develops a drug problem...

I completely agree. WTF? I will return the favor and pray that you never have kids.

It's amazing how much we worship other people in this country: Celebrities, politicians, sports stars, business magnates, religious figures.

What about finding our own way? Our own values? Put effort into our own lives and focus on ourselves and just being humble to others.

If these guys are steering the boat, I want off...

It's amazing how much we worship other people in this country: Celebrities, politicians, sports stars, business magnates, religious figures.

What about finding our own way? Our own values? Put effort into our own lives and focus on ourselves and just being humble to others.

If these guys are steering the boat, I want off...

Again... You don't get it at all... Nobody is getting their values from Phil Robertson... He and those who agree with him get their values from a shared common source, but despite the beard, he ain't Jesus.... He's not "steering the boat". He's just another passenger with the same travel agent...

He simply has a microphone and is saying what a lot of other people, without microphones, are thinking...

These families are not growing up in Hollywood. Its a small town with good folks.
Small town life has ZERO to do with one's value as a good human being. Being on a reality show does a lot to ruin good people's lives and the small town folk surrounding them are just like anyone else, they are cashing in too. It's gonna get ugly when that TV money dries up.

Again... You don't get it at all... Nobody is getting their values from Phil Robertson...
Just his kids and grandkids, for now, but I am not arguing that he is creating homophobes with his words, I am mentioning his responsibility to a lot of people and that he is a spokesperson for his product line and TV show. He can say as much of that shit as he wants when it is on his own time when the show is over, and if he can find the same large venue to say it. You (people in general) certainly would not tolerate a smug barrista spouting how fancy cars mean you have a small cock if he said it out loud all the time, even if not directly at you.

Why can't they be like Bing Crosby, smiles, happiness, song and dance, and then go home and drunken beat the kids.