Lone Survivor (movie)

Gilligan740

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing the photos, Charlie. I am wondering the same thing. Why not take the goat herders along for awhile or maybe tie them up such that they could eventually escape but enough to still have bought some time? Is there a tactical explanation for not doing something like that or did they just not have time to weigh those options?

I had the pleasure of working with and meeting Marcus in December when the company I work for hired him to speak at our annual meeting. After reading his book and hearing him speak, the movie was fantastic. He did play a huge part in the movie and he was actually in a lot of the movie. In person, he's a super intense guy. Really tall and has a very commanding presence. He's not particularly friendly and can come off as super rude and intimidating to everyone he deals with. We were super surprised but after knowing what he's been through can't really blame him.

He's not particularly friendly and can come off as super rude and intimidating to everyone he deals with. We were super surprised but after knowing what he's been through can't really blame him.

Apparently he has severe PTSD and has a therapy dog to help keep him calm. I think that's probably what you're seeing.

Apparently he has severe PTSD and has a therapy dog to help keep him calm. I think that's probably what you're seeing.

Plus, his first therapy dog was killed by thugs. :(

Yup Assman I agree. I have heard Marcus speak and met him as well, and filmstudents impression of him mirrored my own. He is someone who commands respect just because of his size and demeanor. Add to that a very stern and intense personality, and he definitely reminds you that he is someone you do NOT want to annoy.

I remember watching Marcus speak and him saying (I dont have exact words of course so I am paraphrasing): See alot of people who meet me think I am a polite, calm individual, because thats all they see of me when I am speaking to them on stage. They say I am a "nice guy". But what you should know about me is that when I am at work, I'm NOT a nice guy. When I am working, all I can see of the enemy is the sheer terror and fear that they brought to my countryman when they attacked us on 09/11. And when I remember that, my #1 plan is to be the most terrifying sonofabitch you can imagine, so that I can bring that same fear to the enemy that stands before me".

Marcus's therapy dog is a beautiful yellow lab who goes with him everywhere (he actually came out on stage at the end of Marcus's speech). I'll have to upload some pics sometime.

I have followed him on FB for years and was very glad to see him posting so much about the movie. As others have said he was on set the entire time to ensure his teammates were honored RIGHT, and the movie really showed the bravery he wanted the world to see. For anyone that hasnt seen the movie or read the book yet, both are well worth your time!

Book is next in line for me, I'm actually reading American Sniper right now.

Given all the reviews above I'm definitely going to make a point of reading it before I see the movie.

Watching Wolf this afternoon... :icon_super:

Good movie! I recommend it.

The attention to detail in the movie is top notch. I was really surprised to even see the extra's in support roles wearing the correct uniforms (the AF medics at Bagram wearing DCU's instead of MultiCam for example).

The ending was a bit Hollywood. It's been a while since I read the book but I am 90% sure when he was rescued there was no contact with the enemy. The Apache's and Spectre at the end were over the top also. It was a little weird to hear the Spectre at the beginning say it's day light they are off station but then be there during the day for the rescue later (Real world: AC-130's only fly at night).

The ending was a bit Hollywood.

Yeah, I wish they'd stayed 'real' - apparently Luttrell was in the village for 6 days (instead of 2), there was no taliban attack, no stabby stabby, etc.

They could taken the cow herders with them until they were able to establish radio contact then let them go when they get picked up. It's never explained at least in the movie (I haven't read the book) why that option wasn't on the table. Either way definitely worth a watch.

Not sure if it's in the book either as I haven't read it, but he explains in an interview that the goats would have carried onto wherever they were going without the goat herders, well, herding them. So if the goats arrived at their destination without the herders, they would have known something was up. Would taking the herders with them bought them time? Who knows, but i'm pretty sure that was the explanation given.

Not sure if it's in the book either as I haven't read it, but he explains in an interview that the goats would have carried onto wherever they were going without the goat herders, well, herding them. So if the goats arrived at their destination without the herders, they would have known something was up. Would taking the herders with them bought them time? Who knows, but i'm pretty sure that was the explanation given.

There was a long discussion in the thread about the book here on LP. Basically they should have aborted the mission after meeting the herders.

There was a long discussion in the thread about the book here on LP. Basically they should have aborted the mission after meeting the herders.

Didn't they?

Movie was fantastic. It really had me moving around in my seat. I was jus torn during the movie thinking about getting shot at and having a cliff to jump off.

What really happen to the other bodies that wasn't in the movie?

I saw the movie with my brother who was in the Navy so it was a tough movie for him to watch probably. Really makes you realize how good we all have it over here in America thanks to our service men.

awesome movie! on the way home you just think about how lucky we all are to have these great lives because of the men and women in the US military! it makes all problems that we have seem ridiculous after seeing what these guys went through.

the sound effects were also incredible!

PS some retired cop in tampa shot someone in the theater during the movie, I just heard. I don't know all the details.

Also, how close are gun fights like these over there in the Mtns? I would imagine it would be pretty close range with all the trees and elevation changes. I just cannot imagine being in a gun fight period much less something like that.

I have been to an outdoor gun range before with my AR and it is not too easy to shoot something 100 yards away. Yes it is easy if you are sitting down but standing up it is not easy. Now throw in an adrenaline rush, being shot at and etc..... Would be tough!

Also, how close are gun fights like these over there in the Mtns? I would imagine it would be pretty close range with all the trees and elevation changes. I just cannot imagine being in a gun fight period much less something like that.

I have been to an outdoor gun range before with my AR and it is not too easy to shoot something 100 yards away. Yes it is easy if you are sitting down but standing up it is not easy. Now throw in an adrenaline rush, being shot at and etc..... Would be tough!

good point, but these guys are trained day in and day out in these conditions with the best equipment money can buy. it takes a certain kind of mindset to be a seal. I wouldn't last 5 minutes lol

I have a whole new respect for these guys!

I still think the goat situation should have been handled differently.. that seemed like a bad decision imo

good point, but these guys are trained day in and day out in these conditions with the best equipment money can buy. it takes a certain kind of mindset to be a seal. I wouldn't last 5 minutes lol

I have a whole new respect for these guys!

Oh yeah for sure. I am no trained marksman at all. I have probably shot my AR maybe 5 times and that is it lol. From 100 yards I can hit the circle target maybe 7 out of 10 times I am guessing but not a particular part of the target.

Now I am just imagining I have wounds, fallen down a mountain, breathing hard, bleeding, being shot at, friends are dead and etc. I guess your mind blocks most of that out with adrenaline and its flight or fright time.

Oh yeah for sure. I am no trained marksman at all. I have probably shot my AR maybe 5 times and that is it lol. From 100 yards I can hit the circle target maybe 7 out of 10 times I am guessing but not a particular part of the target.

Now I am just imagining I have wounds, fallen down a mountain, breathing hard, bleeding, being shot at, friends are dead and etc. I guess your mind blocks most of that out with adrenaline and its flight or fright time.

yeah me too and I still get the shakes everytime I shoot lol

yeah me too and I still get the shakes everytime I shoot lol

Same here lol. I am terrible with my glock, just terrible. The AR is so easy to shoot though close range. It is just so big and bulky if someone comes in the house I feel like I am carrying around a bazooka or RPG lol

Same here lol. I am terrible with my glock, just terrible. The AR is so easy to shoot though close range. It is just so big and bulky if someone comes in the house I feel like I am carrying around a bazooka or RPG lol

:iamwithstupid: the AR makes me feel like Rambo lolololol

Thanks for sharing the photos, Charlie. I am wondering the same thing. Why not take the goat herders along for awhile or maybe tie them up such that they could eventually escape but enough to still have bought some time? Is there a tactical explanation for not doing something like that or did they just not have time to weigh those options?

The lack of experience (only 2-3 years) shows in them not making the right choices in parts of the movie. Comms would have gotten them straight.