Rash of Credit card fraud

Jagata

I am not up to speed with the technology required but what I can tell you is that I've been using a PIN for my credit card for more than 4 years now.

You are outside of USA then. Europe is all chip and PIN.

It works to your advantage if someone steals your card and signs with an X. The merchant is at fault then, you and the CC company share no liability.

That is correct. Merchants are very relaxed these days unless it's a higher amount. Merchants are the easy target these days to have breach. i.e. Target.

Why is it that every time someone steals my credit card info, they always buy TOTAL SHIT??? It's never anything good. They always make a B line for McDonald's, Wal Mart, Toys R US, etc. At least go to a travel agency and buy some first class tickets to Monaco or something, or try to take your old lady to Tiffany. Not that I have any money and they would get declined, but at least they should try. Instead, they go through the trouble of stealing or buying my information, then buy McDonalds or used tires and rims with it. LOL...

I am guessing smaller charges are more likely to go undetected, I have never checked my credit card unless I had business related expenses on it, maybe I should :eusa_think:

Had my identity stolen a few years back, Bastards opened numerous cards in my name (Best buy, Home Depot, Macys, etc, etc,) Even tried to take out a student loan for 15+K. I got law enforcement involved and I think they only caught one perp. It was a mess, but got it all taken care of, until........ today . Got a msg from my yahoo email acct that due to suspicious activity, I needed to change my password. Didn't think much of it unitl I got a call this evening from Capital One that someone was applying for a CC using my name & social. This crap suxxxxxxx. Once they have your SS#, be prepared to deal with ongoing situations for years to come.

Just freeze your credit with the 3 bureaus and no one can open any accounts period - yes it can be a pain in the ass, but it's easily "unfrozen" for "x" days when you want to apply for credit, and a lot easier than cleaning up your identity.

Where is a good place to get your credit report? Go straight to the three companies or go to free credit report dot com and similar sites?

I was one of the ones part of the target breach. Target emailed me offering free credit monitoring for a year. Is it worth it? The car I used sent me a new one a few weeks later(would have thought it would have been quicker). Ive kept an eye on my statements since then and nothing abnormal.

x2 on a good (possibly free) credit report?

I had my card stolen when I was going through England on my way to the sandbox. Really was a PITA for me. Let's fight a war and unfuck my finances. My power ended up getting turned off in the confusion 2 weeks before I got back and my refrigerator looked like death.

But the dipshits who stole the card sent all the stuff to my place. So I have a box of baby shit, a box of upscale English danishes/jams/muffins, and then pet food and cat de-wormer. Random ass stuff. And I tried like hell to re-gift but nobody wanted anything. :(

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/

No affiliation, this is simply the site I've been using for a few years now. I would stay away from other sites claiming to provide free credit reports, they may indeed give you your report but from my experience very often want to sell you credit monitoring services in exchange for it..

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/

No affiliation, this is simply the site I've been using for a few years now. I would stay away from other sites claiming to provide free credit reports, they may indeed give you your report but from my experience very often want to sell you credit monitoring services in exchange for it..

This. Also I think the agencies have to give you one free report every year. Or something like that. I do know that FREECREDITREPORT.COM is NOT free.

This. Also I think the agencies have to give you one free report every year. Or something like that. I do know that FREECREDITREPORT.COM is NOT free.

Correct, legally they are required to give you one free report a year. The report does not include your score however, if that's something you're interested in you will have to pay for that.

And yes, freecreditreport.com is simply a deceiving url.

Your bank can view your credit scores, print them out, and give them to you without putting a hit on them. I have requested them from my bank manager/loan officer a couple times and they did it free of charge.

Amex offers a credit monitoring service that gives you your three scores. Only one dollar for the first month. Cancel after you get your scores.

Had it happen again today. Got a call from Fraud Protection about 2 charges to Guess Jeans in Tampa, Fla.

That's 3 different cards this month. Shit's getting scary

Had it happen again today. Got a call from Fraud Protection about 2 charges to Guess Jeans in Tampa, Fla.

That's 3 different cards this month. Shit's getting scary

That's more insane than walking backwards up a wall!

Your bank can view your credit scores, print them out, and give them to you without putting a hit on them. I have requested them from my bank manager/loan officer a couple times and they did it free of charge.

Amex offers a credit monitoring service that gives you your three scores. Only one dollar for the first month. Cancel after you get your scores.

Ive always just looked at it when I got loans at my bank. Never thought of asking if they would just do it. Makes sense.

When I had my AMEX card they would do my credit report once a year with score. Now I have Discover and I see my credit score on every bill. I dont know if its their figuring from payment history or its the actual one.

I just received a phishing email that looked like from Experian asking to log in to my monthly account, problem is I don't have a membership and they got my legal name right. freakin scary.

Well I learn something new each day.. wasn't aware you could do that without taking a hit. Good to know.