Free Mustang?

Chipster

Finally picked the car up....

Definitely needs some work lol. I was thinking it wasnt so bad when i went to take a pic of the interior and realized i could see the garage floor through the floor lol. Going to start taking all the interior and other trash parts off on Sunday and take them to the dump. It is a 289 V8 4 speed i believe. That whole hassle the guy made about the hood and it wasnt even fully attached to the car haha. And it was bent. Anywho here are some pics i snapped tonight. The rear looks in better shape than the front, panel wise. Definitely some places where it has rusted through.

0313141839a.jpg

0313141842.jpg

0313141842a.jpg

0313141848.jpg

0313141907.jpg

Do not take your seats to the dump.

You will need the internal frames and brackets in order to reupholster them.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Based on those pictures, plan on tearing into the cowl. Common rust spot and source of leaks. Mine was in much better condition and leaked onto the floorboard every rain. Good luck, looking forward to seeing your progress.

I like it. I surely would not take any parts to the dump until down the road. As mentioned, especially the seats.

Yes, pull the stuff out and set it aside. You would be surpised what little bracket or nut/bolt etc that you NEED when you go put it back together. A lot easier to have extra parts that get tossed than it is to stop working on something for a month while you track down something.

As others said, be VERY careful about what you throw away as you would be surprised what parts can be salvaged or that you will end up wishing you had.

That is a HUGE project. Will make a cool story if you get through it but it depends how badly you really want a Mustang! (time + money it will take to finish vs. the end result).

Keep us posted and best of luck! :)

I was going to reply to each but it is a pain in the ass to get them all on my phone in one post haha. By throw8ng stuff away i meant the carpet, seat cushions, stuff that is completely rusted through with large holes, etc. Anything that can be refurbed will be kept. Parts are CHEAP, especially compared to what im used to with the Diablo. Im expecting about $25k to make it a solid driver. Not looking to make it a concours car. Good suggestions!

Yeah...cowl and floorpan for sure. And Modo, i seriously doubt i would have gone after a Mustang project or even a mustang if this situation hadnt popped up. But i am intrigued now and it will be good to learn and a good experience.

The question now is, which will be finished first, "The Stig", the E-Gear Paddles or this? :icon_mrgreen:

Game on!!

My money is on this.

Lol. I didnt take more pics before i left from working on the car today. Had a soccer game and it got cold here so i didnt feel like working on it more today. But i already have the entire interior out except for the dash and steering column. Definitely will need to replace some of the floor pan. Also both front fenders and likely the firewall, cowl, and engine panels. Front bumper, hood, horns, most wiring, front valence, grill, radiator are all off too. Going to pull the engine and trans next weekend and then try to dump them on craigslist. Couple more weekends and everything should be removed and i can figure out all the panels i need and order them. My good friend has a portable welding machine so i have that covered for free. Putting back together with all the new parts will be enjoyable but the timeline will depend on what all i need.

The question now is, which will be finished first, "The Stig", the E-Gear Paddles or this? :icon_mrgreen:

Game on!!

:lol2:

Good luck Chip!

Thanks! Looks like probably around $4k for all the new panels and pieces i will need to get rid of the rust. At least $5k in suspension, wheels, tires. At least $10k for crate motor, trans, and little things and then probably around $5k in paint (I have a few paint and body shop guys who will do this for pretty cheap. So i think the $25k estimate is pretty solid for not having to pay for labor. The good thing is, i can buy stuff in phases.

I have to add too that it is just nuts how cheap stuff seems compared to what ive been used to with cars so far. It makes the question of even trying to freshen up some things non existent. Was leery on reusing the gas tank but i look and a brand new one as a kit with sender and a new filler pipe is like $150. So cheap. Awesome though! The only thing sort of pricey so far is i checked out replacing the seat frames which is 380 each. Including new foam and seat cover gets up around the cost of just doing some Corbeau seats. So i may go that route but i have a long time to decide.

Most of the dash screws are out, just need to pry it off. Also going to borrow a steering wheel puller...already got the nut off but it is not budging. Then ill pull the steering column. All pedals are disconnected and master cyl is disconnected too. I will disconnect the driveshaft this weekend and the motor mount bolts and then pull all that out. Doors will also come off this weekend and then the front fenders. Then it will be wire brush/scrubbing/sanding time so i can really see what all needs replacing. Doesnt look pretty lol, but i believe a lot of it is iust surface rust.

post-3902-1395322156_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1395322173_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1395322195_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1395322215_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Yeah it definitely looks worse than it is. In terms of actually rusting through, there is the large spot on the floor on drivers side, 2 small holes on passenger side floor and then both fenders. I did vacuum a good bit when i removed the carpet but there is still a lot of loose rust and debris making it "look" even worse. Im going to try some of that Naval Jelly all over the interior and roof to clean it up in there and then some paint remover on the exterior. Was thinking of doing sandblasting but i hear that can warp exterior sheetmetal. So i want to clean it the best i can first and go from there. Not wanting a concours car. Just a fun, solid, driveable car.

Got the doors off, trunk lid off, rear bumper, exhaust, fenders, rest of the front body pieces, steering wheel, and gas tank out earlier today. Forgot I left my load leveler at the shop where my Diablo engine is so I didn't bother bringing my hoist over to get the engine and trans out yet. Moving along though! I think very good progress for 9 days in. I also bought some Naval Jelly rust remover, some various grit sanding pads, heavy duty sand disc for a power drill, and some Aircraft Stripper but will wait to try any of that until all the pieces are off the car.

post-3902-1395519562_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1395519576_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1395519592_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1395519607_thumb.jpg

Well i made the first big purchase of pretty much all the body and structural pieces yesterday since there was a sale going at one of the websites. New full front fenders, firewall, full floor pan with seat risers and floor supports, full cowl assembly, battery apron and battery tray with hold down, all 4 torque boxes, rear taillight panel, rear quarter panel patches, and front and rear valences. Going to try to derust all the panels and areas that arent being replaced this weekend. I hear the torque boxes can be a pain in the ass to get in. The next phase of purchase will be once the body stuff is set and chassis coated. That will be suspension, wheels, brakes, and rear end.

Well i made the first big purchase of pretty much all the body and structural pieces yesterday since there was a sale going at one of the websites. New full front fenders, firewall, full floor pan with seat risers and floor supports, full cowl assembly, battery apron and battery tray with hold down, all 4 torque boxes, rear taillight panel, rear quarter panel patches, and front and rear valences. Going to try to derust all the panels and areas that arent being replaced this weekend. I hear the torque boxes can be a pain in the ass to get in. The next phase of purchase will be once the body stuff is set and chassis coated. That will be suspension, wheels, brakes, and rear end.

:icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

Looking forwad to following this project! I wish I had mechanical skills to tackle a restoration like this. Looks like its going to be fun! :)

:icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

Looking forwad to following this project! I wish I had mechanical skills to tackle a restoration like this. Looks like its going to be fun! :)

Well the cool thing about this project is that there are so many build threads out there and how to videos that I dont need to mark anything or remember where stuff goes. So ive just been wrenching to remove stuff. I forgot to add that the other thing i ordered is a master exterior hardware kit which has all the bolts, nuts, and screws i need and they are in marked bags telling you exactly where they wil go. The only stuff that im iffy about and new to is the body repair and structural pieces and getting rid of most of the rust. But since i am replacing most of the panels, i pretty much just need to derust the trunk, inside of roof, engine bay, and underneath. So I think it may be a little while before i make the next set of purchases. Putting all the new parts on at that point should be pretty awesome though. Thanks!

You might want to install a gas tank firewall as it was a known deficiency with early mustang's.

In the event of a substantial rear end collision, the tank could rupture into the trunk compartment and vehicle.

This could easily develop into a substantial fire which could seriously burn and or kill the occupants.

http://tankarmor.com/index.php?