Free Mustang?

Chipster

Finally got the title today. Got the steering column, steering box, heater stuff, and the remaining wiring off the car. All the glass and windows are out too. Only thing still on the car is the suspension. Will be sending off for some media blasting next but may be a couple weeks.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally got the title today. Got the steering column, steering box, heater stuff, and the remaining wiring off the car. All the glass and windows are out too. Only thing still on the car is the suspension. Will be sending off for some media blasting next but may be a couple weeks.

SWEET! :icon_super:

It is exciting. Prices for media blasting are all over the place though. One local guy who powder coated the Diablo exhaust for me, wants 1700 for just media blasting and doesnt do primer. Another shop up north quoted me 3500 plus to do all of it. And then i just recieved another quote for 1000 for blasting and primer, which i will likely do. Once this is done and the welding and i can start putting new parts in, i will be a happy camper. The welding could take a whileeeeeeeeee

• 2 weeks later...

And I thought the welding would be the bottleneck...have two places I'm looking to do the media blasting and primer at and they are both swamped. Been emailing back and forth with both for a couple weeks now trying to get in at one of them. Looks like mid-May at the earliest for getting the Mustang done there. I finally got all the pedals and under dash stuff out and the old shocks off. The upside is that I will have some weekends now where I'm not working on the cars as much. Still hoping to get the welding done by the end of May and luckily I know 2 guys who have the equipment because one is going to be tough to get now that boating season is near.

And I thought the welding would be the bottleneck...have two places I'm looking to do the media blasting and primer at and they are both swamped. Been emailing back and forth with both for a couple weeks now trying to get in at one of them. Looks like mid-May at the earliest for getting the Mustang done there. I finally got all the pedals and under dash stuff out and the old shocks off. The upside is that I will have some weekends now where I'm not working on the cars as much. Still hoping to get the welding done by the end of May and luckily I know 2 guys who have the equipment because one is going to be tough to get now that boating season is near.

I've got a buddy in the Clarcksburg, MD area who is an auto mechanic and huge mustang fan. Has a home shop and everything. I can reach out to him if you would like and see if he can help out.

If he does media blasting and epoxy for cheaper than $1350, that would be good. All the other stuff I think I'm good to go with. I'm thinking there are other reasonable shops in MD But I will have to use a UHaul trailer so I'm trying to keep it reasonable close lol.

• 2 weeks later...

post-3902-1399593154_thumb.jpg

So I had a buddy who runs a towing company say he could transport the car the 300 miles or so for about $300. Thinking I would be better off with a UHaul, I used my parents truck and bought a new hitch ball, brake light adapter and including the Uhaul, about $110. Gas about $90. GREAT!......

And then about 75 miles from home on the way back, transmission busts open and lost all the fluid. Luckily I have AAA so free tow within 100 miles. However, the Uhaul is not covered and that was $4 a mile. Then the shop I get it towed to tells me I better take it to a trans place so they give me enough fluid to get a few miles down the road since the tow truck was already gone. Sooooooooo my towing adventure was a nice $550ish. What a shitty day and week. Was going to use the truck to pick up the Diablo engine, so I doubt I will make Bullfest now.

• 3 weeks later...

Whats the story on your car? I was reading another thread and for some reason I thought of your project. I hope its still a go, the ideas you had sounded like a lot of fun.

• 6 months later...

The story is in the first post unless you mean something else? Some progress this weekend. I don't think I ever posted a picture once I got it back from media blasting. Have finished with the new front suspension, steering, and Wilwood disc brakes but still need to pop the new strut and coil spring in. Rear stuff has been removed except the front leaf spring bolt which I hear has to be cut out and then the new springs and disc brakes will go in the rear. Found a pretty good deal and the last set of these chrome wheels in the US....American Racing Daytonas 17x8. My plans are to keep things pretty basis but have a decent powered and sounding engine. So slightly restomod but nothing crazy. Still have to replace the panels. Picked up an engine stand for cheap with deals going yesterday so I'm going to try rebuilding the 289 but not sure if I will use it. Next up will be the panels and welding and then probably some bondo and sanding and then paint. Then just a matter of being able to buy and install all the new stuff. Hoping to finish it during 2015.

post-3902-1417526378_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1417526402_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1417526429_thumb.jpg

post-3902-1417526457_thumb.jpg

Lookin good man!

On the motor, have you considered just doing a full swap from an 03/04 cobra or coyote motor?

Buy some long sanding blocks, high build primer, and spend countless hours getting the body super straight. It will make all the difference in the world when you start laying color.

I'm just going to leave This here. :icon_mrgreen:

Lookin good man!

On the motor, have you considered just doing a full swap from an 03/04 cobra or coyote motor?

Buy some long sanding blocks, high build primer, and spend countless hours getting the body super straight. It will make all the difference in the world when you start laying color.

I'm just going to leave This here. :icon_mrgreen:

Haha that is nice! Unlimited amounts of funds and there are definitely things I would do different. Originally I kinda had some wild unrealistic plans which I've tamed down as I kinda want another Viper maybe. So my goal here is to get a solid running driver but I was to keep it sort of old school. So that's why I'm sticking with manual steering and have leaned away from a modern motor. If I can rebuild the 289 and beef it up, I'd love to p it the extra money into an ITB setup over the cost of doing a modern motor. Will likely go with a T5 trans too.

Looks really good. Keep us posted please.

Very nice! Looking forward to the end result.

Thank you both! I will update as I progress!

That looks super clean so far! Keep up the good work!

I had nothing to compare it to but the guys that did the media blasting commented that the metal was in very good,shape for the most part. And I have a room full of New stuff like floor pans, risers, toe boards, fire wall, cowl assembly, front and rear torque boxes, quarter panel patches, front fenders, front and rear valances, rear gas hole panel, etc waiting to go in as well. Its been a good learning experience.