Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people

Steve K

The most recent comparable incident was the Air France flight 447 Airbus A330 that crashed. Which icing was the primary cause of the accident (or one could argue a poorly designed pitot tube by Thales), followed by pilot error, then human factors design issues.

The Air France incident was mainly pilot error. The frozen pitot tubes cleared itself in less than a minute. Frozen pitot tubes are not very uncommon and they happen all the time around the world, all they had to do was keep the plane nice and steady. So yes, it did play a role in the incident but that was it.

The captain was resting during the incident, the 2 first officers had no idea what was going on when the warnings came on, Bonin kept lifting the nose up! Minute later, Robert takes control and actually pitches the nose down which could have saved the plane out of the stall but Bonin was still pulling back on his controls so they were simply cancelling each other out.

By the time the captain got back and ordered them to pitch the nose down, it was simply too late and they went down.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP

I have flown quite a bit and i actually feel more comfortable on take off and landing than in flight. Probably knowing and seeing how close to the ground i am. Turbulence will make my heart race too. But i know planes are engineered very well and have many back up systems. I have seen most of the Air Disaster shows and read about many crashes via wikipedia. Very odd that no distress messages from the on board computers or word from the pilots made it out.

It may scare you but airline mechanics are paid similar to car mechanics. Over 1/2 of crashes are result of in proper repairs by mechanics that don't know how to read repair manuals (which are confusing too)

That's not true at all to the point where I would guess that you just made that up. Most crashes happen on take off or landing, and are the result of pilot error or outside forces (icing, cargo shifting, bird strikes, cargo fires etc). The Air France crash was pilot error. But not REALLY his fault because he was being fed wrong information from the plane due to a faulty part. In 2000 the Air Alaska plane crashed due to the rudder control screw stripping. Not a mechanic's fault. In 1990 there was that crash in Iowa due to an engine failure (not rare) which took out the hydraulics. Not a mechanic's fault. Other than those two I can't think of any commercial plane mechanical related crashes in the US off the top of my head. Everything else was pilot error or outside forces (bird strikes, icing, load shifting, etc)

Here's a list of commercial crashes worldwide and causes of them. Almost none are mechanical issue related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accid...ercial_aircraft

For a a commercial plane to just fall out of the sky like this one, without hearing a word from the cockpit is almost unheard of. It had to have had nothing short of catastrophic failure. Given the origin of the flight, terrorism would be high on the list.

Piece of paper surviving a plane crash and falling into ocean LOL thats funny.

Actually a misquote, they found two stolen passports were used to gain entry to the plane. Obviously two people were on the plane pretending to be different people. Not good.

One news agency was reporting already finding stolen passports . Almost makes you believe that if that's the case, why would there be stolen passport on that flight unless it was blown up.

New was reporting nonsense and hearsay. The sun just came up there 4 hours ago. I doubt there's even boats on the scene yet.

Given the origin of the flight, terrorism would be high on the list.

What terrorist event would leave an oil slick and as yet no visible wreckage?

The stolen passports do offer a whiff of the underhand though.

What terrorist event would leave an oil slick and as yet no visible wreckage?

Too early to say at this point. It's only been a couple hours. The only facts we seem to have at this point is 1) Plane vanishing while at altitude. 2) Pilots reported nothing.

I'm playing playing armchair NTSB detective here. It's just highly suspicious to me that there was no radio chatter before it crashed. If it was a mechanical issue, at 30,000 feet, and the plane had a severe mechanical problem and the pilots were alive, the pilots would have a minute or two to say something...anything. Even if it was just "Oh shit we're going down". It's being reported that "It just vanished". I'm going to take that at this point that the pilots reported nothing, and I would say they were dead quickly whatever happened.

I'm going to go with "some type of terrorism or catastrophic failure" at this stage based on lack or reporting from the pilots. Parts will start to surface soon.

Maybe I am the only immigrant here that has heard stories but stolen passports used to escape one country and enter another are much more common than you think...

Ignorant checking in. Also falsified passports to escape.

The Gulf of Thailand where the plane is thought to have gone down has a mean depth of 45 meters and a maximum depth of 80 meters . That's slightly more than the length of an Olympic pool !! The plane should be sticking out of the water. Either it was blown to pieces or didn't go down over water.

IMHO the most interesting detail is the use of Austrian and Italian passports. China requires Visa for both countries, which means they would have had to go to a Chinese Embassy or Consulate....

So either they pulled off one hell of an identity scam with the Chinese, or they falsified the visa...

IMHO the most interesting detail is the use of Austrian and Italian passports. China requires Visa for both countries, which means they would have had to go to a Chinese Embassy or Consulate....

So either they pulled off one hell of an identity scam with the Chinese, or they falsified the visa...

To the Chinese all white people look alike anyway.

To the Chinese all white people look alike anyway.

Sweet, so if I want to get special treatment and comped everywhere when I travel to China, I just have to say "I'm the infamous arranrambo from Rambo Power" and they will never know the difference.

I get a feeling that the plane was shot down somehow. Don't know why. Just makes the most sense to me right now. I hate flying because of things like this which could happen ! Very tragic.

1108635[/url]']

I get a feeling that the plane was shot down somehow. Don't know why. Just makes the most sense to me right now. I hate flying because of things like this which could happen ! Very tragic.

That would make sense if plane was lost near North Korea. Doubt it in this case since it's near Vietnam

That would make sense if plane was lost near North Korea. Doubt it in this case since it's near Vietnam

Also, someone would have likely owned up to that by now. Haven't heard of any dignitaries or anyone like that on board either. Water at a high enough impact is like a solid surface so the plane could be in small pieces or fire and sank. Who knows yet.