Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people

Steve K

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuoi Tre, a leading daily in Vietnam, reports that the Vietnamese Navy has confirmed the plane crashed into the ocean. According to Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat, Commander of the Region 5, military radar recorded that the plane crashed into the sea at a location 153 miles South of Phu Quoc island.

RIP to all

Im not afraid of flying at all (I actually fly all the time)-I am VERY afraid of crashing in an airplane.

I really hope they find the plane, and they can have resolution for the poor families who are all waiting. It would be great if there were survivors.

Luckily this is a rare occurrence. I'm surprised at how many people on here are afraid of/dislike flying.

:iamwithstupid:

Rip to all who lost their lives in this tragedy.

"An AN26 aircraft of the Vietnam Navy has discovered an oil slick about 20 kilometers in the search area, which is suspected of being a crashed Boeing aircraft — we have announced that information to Singapore and Malaysia and we continue the search," Lai Xuan Thanh, the director of the Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam said in reporting the sighting of the slick.

He said he did not know whether the slick was closer to the Malaysian or Vietnam side of the entrance to the Gulf of Thailand. The last coordinates automatically transmitted by the aircraft were from near the midpoint between the two countries, when the plane appeared to be in stable flight at 35,000 feet.

:( sad ...

2 stolen passports were used in this flight.

:iamwithstupid:

Austrian and Italian ...

Link?

Found it:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/08/world/asia/m....html?hpt=hp_t1

For instance, after the airline released a manifest, Austria denied that one of its citizens was onboard the flight as the list stated. The Austrian citizen was safe and sound, and his passport had been stolen two years ago, Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Martin Weiss told CNN.

Similarly, Italy's foreign ministry confirmed that no Italians were onboard MH370, even though an Italian was listed on the manifest. Malaysian officials said they were aware of reports that the Italian's passport was also stolen, but had not confirmed it.

Malaysian authorities reiterated during a news conference that they are not ruling anything out regarding the missing aircraft.

Terrorism?

I thought modern passports had magnetic strips or something on them that hooked to a computer system where they could be flagged?

The vast majority of plane crashes happen during take off and landing and as a frequent flyer, the only time I feel a little fear is during take off. Once we're above a certain altitude, I feel quite relaxed the rest of the flight. Hearing stories like this of a 300 passenger Boeing 777 just falling from the sky 2 hours into flight scares the crap out of me.

My old man flew 747. I will not fly if weather is bad. I will also research airline records. Many airlines have terrible maintenance and safety record. I think Boeing and Airbus should have certification programs to verify repairs instead of leaving it up to the yahoo mechanics.

It may scare you but airline mechanics are paid similar to car mechanics. Over 1/2 of crashes are result of in proper repairs by mechanics that don't know how to read repair manuals (which are confusing too)

Terrorism?

It was reported by Japan news agency, in earlier press meeting (8 pm MYT/ 12 am GMT), Malaysia Prime Minister are dismissing the possibilities of terrorist attack. 15 C-130 Hercules transporter, 4 EC725 helicopter, 1 CN-325 transporter & 1 Beechcraft King Air has been dispatched in air SAR operation by Malaysian government. Phoenix Television (Taiwan/HK news station) are reporting that 7 vessels are heading toward area where oil slick is sighted, and are schedule to reach at 11pm MYT, 3 pm GMT. Malaysia Airlines representative from Kuala Lumpur HQ should be reaching in Beijing to handle the aftermath in any time soon (They departed on 4:30pm MYT / 8:30 am GMT). Passenger's family & friend are reported to be disgruntled with Malaysian Airlines in Beijing as little information is revealed to them.

A tragedy. Sadly the odds of finding survivors is more and more bleak as time passes.

Modern airliners are incredibly safe so I am really curious to find out the cause (which will take a while to figure out). It seems it had to have been a catastrophic failure since the crew didn't communicate their emergency with anyone. At 35k feet the jet would be able to glide hundreds of miles and stay aloft for damn near 30-40 minutes if there was a dual engine failure for some reason (fuel exhaustion, bad fuel, etc).

I haven't heard anyone mention anything about weather either.

Boeing vs Airbus automation arguments aside...Assuming a competent aircrew I can't imagine the autopilot causing an irreversible catastrophic input.

As previously mentioned, most incidents occur during take off and landing, not cruise. The most recent comparable incident was the Air France flight 447 Airbus A330 that crashed. Which icing was the primary cause of the accident (or one could argue a poorly designed pitot tube by Thales), followed by pilot error, then human factors design issues.

An aerial view of an oil spill is seen from a Vietnamese Air Force aircraft in the search area for a missing Malaysia Airlines plane, 250 km from Vietnam and 190 km from Malaysia, in this handout photo from Thanh Nien Newpaper taken on March 8, 2014

Reuters Pic Slideshow

I would think with all the modern technology out there, that the exact location would be known where and when and how it went down, unless of course it was blown to smithereens in an instant.

sad

I'm hoping this ends like Cast Away. Maybe some shitty little island out there has 270 people on it playing vollyball waiting to get picked up...

2 stolen passports were used in this flight.

The fcuk?

I'm hoping this ends like Cast Away. Maybe some shitty little island out there has 270 people on it playing vollyball waiting to get picked up...

This real version better not have Helen Hunt in it though or I'm walking away from this one before the ending too.

One news agency was reporting already finding stolen passports . Almost makes you believe that if that's the case, why would there be stolen passport on that flight unless it was blown up.

One news agency was reporting already finding stolen passports floating in the ocean. Almost makes you believe that if that's the case, why would there be stolen passport on that flight unless it was blown up.

Dafuq?

How can they not find a single bit of wreckage but they can spot something less than a couple of inches in size. Yeah, I am calling BS on that.

Terrible terrible incident both for the victims and the relatives not getting closure for years.

My thoughts on flying. I am not the most keen of flyers and it was only Nov last year was the first time I have flown sober.

I think they are thoroughly well engineered but then bolted together by absolutely gormless moronic muppets and that is the bit that unnerves me.

A grain of sand in the wrong place can cause an engine a bucket load of problems and that is in the simulators, imagine what it is like when the ground staff plumb it together...

RIP to the victims. :(