Moving To Abu Dhabi For 3 yr Contract

szabo_martin

Figured I'd ask the brothers (and sisters) on Lambopower...

Going for a 3 year contract.... looking at places to live I found the Etihad Towers seem to look ok any advice? I only need a 1 or 2 bedroom apt preferably under 200,000 AED a year

Also with cars, can you lease a new car over there? How are prices? for around $1500 a month can you get anything decent?

Any advice is appreciated. I've been all over the world except for the Middle East so am clueless

Also a Canadian who lived there (am in Dubai now but go to AD every week).

Etihad towers is ok. Leasing is not an option but there are lots of cars for sale and financing is easy.

Feel free to PM me if you need a coffee some time when you are in town.

not sure of accommodation in AD. I just moved away from Dubai back to europe.

one advice; do not waste your money on a nice car there!!!! Not worth it at all. No roads to have fun on. Police are more strict and 'trigger/notepad/fine' happy than even Switzerland! Oh, and those fkin speed bumps everywhere, and the speeding radars.

Get a comfy 4x4 type thing, an X5 or smthg similar. Lots of high mileage ones due to the AD-Dubai treck a lot seem to do, so do not be afraid of them. Save your money for some track fun at YAS Marina, and for partying or traveling.

With cars thats what I figured an X5 or Touareg. Was debating taking the Murci over but heard that driving is a bit crazy and would hate to get it smashed up. Did you like Dubai? I've been to Copenhagen, loved it.

With cars thats what I figured an X5 or Touareg. Was debating taking the Murci over but heard that driving is a bit crazy and would hate to get it smashed up. Did you like Dubai? I've been to Copenhagen, loved it.

do NOT take any car over there. big waste, and ruined my zr1 with the shit fuel, shit mechanics, shit roads, and shit shit fuel.

apart from that really enjoy it there; as long as you go there with a carefree have fun attitude. it can be quite superficial. Dubai is definitely more party fun than Abu Dhabi. I've heard from foreigners that AD can be quite boring and quiet unless you have a family then thats fine.

Honestly a few years without winter coud be nice. The work is in AD so Dubai will be for the weekends. Fuel seems to be cheap....$0.50 a liter as oppesed to $1.35 here. I haven't heard much negative....except that you can't live with a woman unless your married

Interesting how abusive the area sounds to cars. What about all these supercars being exported to UAE/China - I wonder what kinda condition they'll be in down the road....

I haven't heard much negative....except that you can't live with a woman unless your married

I can't imagine this to be correct but If this is true I can tell you, you could not pay me enough to live in a place where the government dictates whom I can live with, life is way too short for dealing with this kind of prehistorical thinking!

Good luck with your new job!

I can't imagine this to be correct but If this is true I can tell you, you could not pay me enough to live in a place where the government dictates whom I can live with, life is way too short for dealing with this kind of prehistorical thinking!

This is why a certain Kebab-loving member will never be able to live there. :icon_mrgreen:

Jokes aside, it sounds interesting there - but not with full bore religion breathing down by back.

Engineering friend had a car accident. It was not his fault. Still got banged up for a few weeks because he was a foreigner.

Was the other party a local, or a foreigner too?

Big difference, unfortunately.

Dubai's not too bad. Other emirates in the small UAE are a bit more strict with enforcing Islam culture and rules; Sharjah being the toughest (follows Saudi Arabia for the most part).

OP Good luck with the contract. As LamboNutter mentioned, if you go in with a care-free, have fun attitude, you should have a good time.

Vahid can certainly chime in, he knows the Place inside and out.. I've ripped that place a new asshole several times over the last few years..

Lambonutter, moved back now? I see you are Close again, lets make something happen!

Thanks guys! Yeah seems like it's cool for the most part but need to respect the culture and religion. There's a lot of expats that seem to have paved the way forward. Yeah the living with a woman whos not your wife rules seem odd, but then Dubai has the highest ratio of prostitute to citizens so I guess figure it out..... the money is really the kicker, rates are nice here in Canada at the moment as well, but it seems to be a different ball game over there, plus the perks. I've worked projects all over the place, Africa, South America, the US...most fun was 2 years in Rotterdam. Seems like Dubai and Abu Dhabi should be able to keep a guy busy for a few years...being a gear head my biggest concern is how and what car to get haha X5? Cayenne? Quattroporte?

Thanks guys! Yeah seems like it's cool for the most part but need to respect the culture and religion. There's a lot of expats that seem to have paved the way forward. Yeah the living with a woman whos not your wife rules seem odd, but then Dubai has the highest ratio of prostitute to citizens so I guess figure it out..... the money is really the kicker, rates are nice here in Canada at the moment as well, but it seems to be a different ball game over there, plus the perks. I've worked projects all over the place, Africa, South America, the US...most fun was 2 years in Rotterdam. Seems like Dubai and Abu Dhabi should be able to keep a guy busy for a few years...being a gear head my biggest concern is how and what car to get haha X5? Cayenne? Quattroporte?

...being a gear head my biggest concern is how and what car to get haha X5? Cayenne? Quattroporte?

CAYANNE TURBO. Or something you can take out in the dunes.

seems it is true http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/...-twice-1.819369

Not sure what line of work or industry you're in, but I've heard that they can really work you to the bone there.

Example: My aussie friend went there as an accountant to work in his firms Dubai branch (a big 4 firm) and at one point had to work 3 weeks (at least 10 hr days) with no days off.

Best of luck!

I have my own company in oil and gas so I'm sure the hours will be long. Contract stipulates compensation for my staff at 44 hours a week 5 days a week but I am sure I will be burning the candle at both ends as usual.... being my own boss means I work for a real asshole haha