Lasik

HannibalACP82

Not usually. I had one done then the other one done 3 days later.

I want to say mine was $4000-$5000 14 years ago!

Everyone I know that has done it had both eyes done the same day.

You would think it would get cheaper as it gets more common. 6k for me must really be pulling the Rake out.

What about the fact that I'm an enormous pussy when it comes to other people putting anything near my eyes? Let alone something I know is going to peel them open like an apple.

Do they put you out?

This is my biggest concern too. My eyes are always dry. I have trouble keeping my eyes over for five seconds let alone however long it takes to do this procedure. They did tell me they would give me prescription eye drops for a while before the day of.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eyedoc,

My corneas measured in the 400 range.. not quite sure what that means, but I was told very thin. I do not have a degenerative disease that they worry about.. can't remember the name...

Would PRK be a possibility? I have pretty bad astigmatism in both eyes..

I am told by my eye doc that it wouldn't be worth it, but I was going to go to hoopes and double check.. Is it a waste of my time to look into?

thanks!

Hi Chad,

400 is REALLY thin. Dangerously thin, even for PRK. Realistically, too thin even for PRK. I know Phil Hoopes personally--he's got integrity and he's honest (he also drives a Bentley, but we won't hold that against him); he won't touch you if he can't get an excellent outcome. But I don't think even he would recommend any refractive procedure on a cornea that thin...there's too much risk of ectasia and you can't discount the possibility of you having/developing forme frust keratoconus (which is a big contraindication for any refractive procedure).

If you wanted that 2nd/3rd opinion, the ONLY other person I would recommend is Hoopes. Unfortunately, I think the answer you're going to get is the same as your eye dr told you: you're not a good candidate with corneas like that.

from what ive heard (wait for eyedoc for a legit answer) is that the lasik just fixes your eyes as they are now they still will deteriorate over time most likely requiring glasses at a later date.

You're absolutely correct: LASIK corrects your current prescription, so as we age, our eyes will continue to change, although at a slower rate than in our teens and early 20's. That's why it's important to have a stable prescription (one that hasn't changed much for a few years), prior to even considering refractive surgery. The idea is that if you have achieved stability, then the change will be minor over the course of time.

Someone asked about whether both eyes are done at the same time and the answer is yes--one eye followed by the other, so you go home with both eyes treated. Many years ago (14+ years ago), we did one eye, waited a week or two and then did the other. That's not the case now.

Hi Chad,

400 is REALLY thin. Dangerously thin, even for PRK. Realistically, too thin even for PRK. I know Phil Hoopes personally--he's got integrity and he's honest (he also drives a Bentley, but we won't hold that against him); he won't touch you if he can't get an excellent outcome. But I don't think even he would recommend any refractive procedure on a cornea that thin...there's too much risk of ectasia and you can't discount the possibility of you having/developing forme frust keratoconus (which is a big contraindication for any refractive procedure).

If you wanted that 2nd/3rd opinion, the ONLY other person I would recommend is Hoopes. Unfortunately, I think the answer you're going to get is the same as your eye dr told you: you're not a good candidate with corneas like that.

Thank you for the intelligent answer.. I figured as much. Nice to hear it from you. Let's get the VI cars together this year!!

Thank you for the intelligent answer.. I figured as much. Nice to hear it from you. Let's get the VI cars together this year!!

Absolutely let's get them together--I just wish it would stop snowing already.

Can you recommend a way to find a good laserererer in our own areas? What to look out for. What to run away from. Etc.

Can you recommend a way to find a good laserererer in our own areas? What to look out for. What to run away from. Etc.

Roman, start the conversation with your optometrist. In most towns, the docs all know about each other and the reputations. You want someone who has done a lot of procedures, uses the latest lasers and has an excellent track record--that doc is not going to want to ruin their good name by doing something stupid. I wouldn't find one in the phone book but rather get a referral from your optometrist.

Whats Lasik like for minor vision changes? Im 41 and below is my current contacts info.

EYE Power BC Diameter Cylinder Axis

Left (OS) -0.75 8.9 14.5 -0.75 180

EYE Power BC Diameter

Right(OD) -1.25 8.6

Is it only for people with worst vision?

Can it improve my vision the same as my contacts does?

What about night vision?

Ok guys and gals the tax refund is coming and I am thinking about getting Lasik. Who here has had it and what are the pros and cons? EyeDoc feel free to jump in and give your professional opinion. I have had glasses since the 3rd grade and contacts since 6th. I am BLIND without them (-5.25 and -7.00) so the first thing I do every morning is wake up, throw my glasses on, walk to the bathroom and put in my contacts. The last thing I do every night is take them back out.

I hate it. I am tried of wearing contacts. I want Lasik!

Should I do it and why?

I basically had the same scenario as you only I had glasses since 2nd grade and got contacts in 7th. My prescription was -4.5 and -4.0 so it wasn't as bad yours. I considered Lasik for several years and finally went through with the procedure January 31st of this year. It kinda sucked at first with the different eye drops, glasses, bed goggles, and etc. but each day progressively gets better and you don't have to do as much as the days go by. At this point I am still using prescribed Restasis eye drops in the morning and evening. My eyes get kinda dry every once in a while so I use Refresh Optive Sensitive eye drops which is recommended to people who went through lasik. My vision is excellent! I have 20/15 vision and my eye comfort has been back to normal for a while now as if I were wearing contacts and don't even notice them in. Would I do it all over again? Absolutely. Just remember like with any surgery that it will be a little bit of discomfort at first but it will progressively get better in time and you will be happy with the results. If anything, I definitely recommend going in for an initial appointment to get a better understanding of what they do in the procedure and you can decide at that point if you would want to go through with it or not. Feel free to call me if you have any questions!

I wore glasses since 3rd grade... and in 2002 my contact lens prescription was -6.75.. pretty bad, and I was completely handicapped without the contacts in!

Got lasik and my vision has been perfect since. My advice: get it done, but spend the money to get it done right.

Roman, start the conversation with your optometrist. In most towns, the docs all know about each other and the reputations. You want someone who has done a lot of procedures, uses the latest lasers and has an excellent track record--that doc is not going to want to ruin their good name by doing something stupid. I wouldn't find one in the phone book but rather get a referral from your optometrist.

I don't have an optometrist here yet... And I'd kinda like to do LASIK so I don't need one.

I don't have an optometrist here yet... And I'd kinda like to do LASIK so I don't need one.

Maybe take a trip with the wife and do it in a different city.

I had been thinking about/wanting it for a long time. Heard an ad on the radio, called from the car made appointment later that afternoon, had it done next day. Wife was out of the country at the time. I got PRK, and don't regret it one bit. Doesn't feel like you got anything done. Just feels like you were born with perfect eyesight.

• 1 month later...
Bump to find out the result?

Didn't go yet. Right afterwards work started talking about sending me to Korea for 3 months or China for 6 months. Didn't really want to take my new and improved eyeballs on a trip like that.

• 7 months later...

Threadromancer!

Anyways... Had a consult yesterday at the best eye doctor in the region.... I'm a candidate... I will probably need reading glasses sooner rather than later... Especially if I want to read what you assholes are saying on my iphone... But I think I'm going to go for it...

Didn't go yet. Right afterwards work started talking about sending me to Korea for 3 months or China for 6 months. Didn't really want to take my new and improved eyeballs on a trip like that.

Probably should have gotten it done and taken my new and improved eyeballs on the trip to Korea....maybe I wouldn't have slipped on that damn rock...

Any thoughts on LASIK vs. PRK?

I'm hearing PRK is more painful but afterwards, no issues with night vision.

My guy yesterday said most people will have starbursts or halos at night but that in most patients it goes away within three months.

I know he does both but only talked to me about Lasik.

I had Lasik done 16 years ago. still 20/15. Only thing i noticed after turning 40 was close up reading got blurry when too close to my eyes. I just hold things a little further and it solves it. I was -6.00 + before the Lasik. would do it over in a heart beat.

I am assuming the lack of negative things said on here is simply because this forum is not available in Braille?

Lol, I had it done 17 years ago when it was first approved in the USA. I would do it in a heartbeat again, the equipment is 1000% better now. Don't go to the lowball cheap guy, go to the one who does other doctors eyes. As of iPhones and "reading glasses" you can increase the font size in your settings, but I still don't use cheaters and was told I would need them 5 years after the surgery.