Tesla...

OC

yea, I drove 3 GT-R's for 5 years daily, so obviously I'm forgiving on the looks, sometimes... :)

BUT, I don't see how the car isn't impressive, built from the ground up in America by a new car company, car of the year, best car ever tested by consumer reports, safest car ever tested, no service required, free over the air software upgrades with new features, guaranteed resale value, no gas stations, instant torque, fast, plenty of power, top level electronics, lot's of interior space, less than 4 cents per mile to drive, the list goes on...

just from my personal experience, not one person who rode or drove my car said, eh, no big deal, not impressed... even the hard core petrol heads...

It does look much like any other E, but any of the new E's look better than the Tesla IMHO. I get that the Tesla is rarer, and it's certainly not a bad looking car (although the interior is sub-par IMO for a car in that price range), but ultimately I'd take less exclusivity with better looks if everything else were equal (which it rarely is).

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, I drove 3 GT-R's for 5 years daily, so obviously I'm forgiving on the looks, sometimes... :)

BUT, I don't see how the car isn't impressive, built from the ground up in America by a new car company, car of the year, best car ever tested by consumer reports, safest car ever tested, no service required, free over the air software upgrades with new features, guaranteed resale value, no gas stations, instant torque, fast, plenty of power, top level electronics, lot's of interior space, less than 4 cents per mile to drive, the list goes on...

just from my personal experience, not one person who rode or drove my car said, eh, no big deal, not impressed... even the hard core petrol heads...

You should sell them........ :-)

So first limitation with the Tesla so far: we had a -7 celsius this morning (i know, a bit freaky for mid April, but whatever) and the mirrors on his car would not go back to their normal position...they were retracted...frozen in place! :) Good thing he got the winter package... :mr_green:

He was a bit surprised but not too pissed...I thought it was a bit shocking for a $100K car...he agreed...they should maybe bolster their winter testing.

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally had the chance to drive my colleague's car...still as impressed as when I first rode in it as a passenger. What a pleasure to drive around town. Very calm and relaxing, so quick off the line, technology has a seamless way to interact with the driver.

What a great car.

• 1 month later...

Test drove the model S today.

Impressive. I could see owning one but I found the seat too hard, and I would be very leery of taking it on a trip because of a lack of charging network. I know they are building the network - but I wouldn't want to have to drive to a specific place possibly out of my way, to charge the car for 45 minutes. She said if the charge was at zero it would take 45 minutes for a full charge. Fifteen minutes gives you another 150 miles according to the sales person.

The styling doesn't bother me. I would enjoy having a car that doesn't require service (other than tires/brakes/inspection which anyone can do). Fit and finish on the cars they brought was quite good. Paint wasn't bad - not impressive but not awful.

It occurred to me that the touch screen might be a problem and cause distracted driving - but no more than any other device that someone could abuse behind the wheel.

Only one 12V outlet but two USB outlets. When I said I wanted to plug in a radar detector it hadn't occurred to her. No cooled seats (only heated) and she said it was napa leather interior but it looked pretty cheesy. Looked synthetic.

My 6' tall friend had enough head room in the rear seat. He liked it.

The acceleration was impressive. Very smooth. VERY quick.

New bolstered seats are on the way. I agree with your assessment of them, no support.

A friend sent this article about a guy driving a Tesla from DC to NY who got stuck because the range didn't pan out.

Cold temps reduced range which is something I hadn't thought about. Sounds like a miserable experience. It's from Feb 2013 so maybe they've addressed this issue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/automobi...c=eta1&_r=0

Interesting on the touch screens. I had read that Mercedes-Benz doesn't think touch screens, for cars at least, really are the future, that they are more of a fad. They say that many of the customers do not like touch screens as they consider them unsanitary. The new S-Class I don't believe uses a touch screen, but rather has the big screen controlled by conventional buttons and a rotary dial. On the other hand, then you have Tesla that makes the whole setup in the car have a huge touchscreen. Personally, I kind of agree with the notion that touch screens are not sanitary. Same with phones too. I find touch screen phones more functional, but also more unsanitary. Physical buttons and rotary dials I do not consider to be old tech.

Sometimes we see new technological features put into cars that are supposedly "the future" and then it turns out people don't like them and they revert to the older "lower-tech." Two examples could be dash boards and gear shifts. In the 1960s they came out with push button transmissions. No more physical gear shift, just push a button. But they then did away with them for many years and most cars to this day use a physical lever that you move to shift into gear. Another is the dashboard. Some cars came out with digital speedometers. But those did not become dominant and most cars have remained with the conventional speedometer. For cars that do use digital displays now, one can have a digital display of a conventional speedometer and tachometer.

Similarly, I wonder if touch screens will go the same way, if in ten to twenty years, they'll be viewed as something that was more of a fad, being replaced again by physical buttons and dials. I do believe big computer screens for navigation, backup cameras, etc...in vehicles are here to stay, but how they are controlled may change.

A friend sent this article about a guy driving a Tesla from DC to NY who got stuck because the range didn't pan out.

Cold temps reduced range which is something I hadn't thought about. Sounds like a miserable experience. It's from Feb 2013 so maybe they've addressed this issue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/automobi...c=eta1&_r=0

I may be mistaken, but I think that driver did not drive the car properly for the range that he was trying to take it. Or something like that. I don't know the specific details, but I think he came under a lot of criticism from folks who said he didn't test the car properly and that is why it ran out of battery power.

Although an electric car, and especially if/when they get them where they can charge up in say five minutes, is superior to IC engine cars in performance, I must say I do love the IC engine just in terms of being able to modify it so much and the mechanics and all of that. Electric cars will be boring for gearheads. They'll be fantastic for DDers and most people who couldn't care less about the underlying mechanics and just want something that will run well. No worry about oil and transmission fluid (I don't know if the Tesla uses brake fluid and power steering fluid?), no complex mechanical parts that could break like an engine or transmission for example, better weight distribution, more cargo room, instant torque, etc...but from a gearhead perspective who likes engines, it will be very boring.

And also no SOUND. No more exhaust and roar of an engine or anything. Many say for example they love the sound of the CGT, imagine a CGT on electric. Or a Lambo on electric.

Interesting on the touch screens. I had read that Mercedes-Benz doesn't think touch screens, for cars at least, really are the future, that they are more of a fad. They say that many of the customers do not like touch screens as they consider them unsanitary.

IMO MB is desperately trying to establish a new YOUNGER customer base - hence the latest CLA, and why it so closely resembles their bigger, MUCH more expensive AMG coupe.

I'm allowed to say this because I'm a MB customer. There is nothing in their line I'd buy today. I'd buy a Tesla before I'd buy a MB.

As far as touchscreens being sanitary or not (and same for phones) - I guess technically they are not "sanitary" - but how many people use it when you have passengers? I'm usually the only person in my car "touching my screen" unless it's hubby. And they are easily cleaned. Same for phones. The biggest issue is that we touch stuff all day long and don't necessarily wash our hands before touching our phone - so the phone gets "germy". I don't find it an issue. I clean my phone regularly and I wash my hands often. I'm not obsessive about it but I know it's an easy thing I can do to avoid getting sick.

If I had lots of people getting in my car and touching the screen I'd probably want to clean it - but that's not how my life goes. I suppose if you have kids touching the screen a lot it might be a different story.

the 17" touch screen was HUGE and IMO overkill. It doesn't need to be, nor SHOULD it be - that large in a car. Something half the size would be more than adequate.

I would think the future is in voice commands so we don't have to touch anything. We speak the command and the car (or nav or radio or phone obeys). MB already has decent voice command system. So does my BMW although the MB works better in general.

I would think a combination of voice commands and heads up display might be the ultimate in reducing distracted driving - but it seems heads up displays have gone the way of the dodo bird.

IMO MB is desperately trying to establish a new YOUNGER customer base - hence the latest CLA, and why it so closely resembles their bigger, MUCH more expensive AMG coupe.

I'm allowed to say this because I'm a MB customer AND very occasional employee. There is nothing in their line I'd buy today. I'd buy a Tesla before I'd buy a MB.

As far as touchscreens being sanitary or not (and same for phones) - I guess technically they are not "sanitary" - but how many people use it when you have passengers? I'm usually the only person in my car "touching my screen" unless it's hubby. And they are easily cleaned. Same for phones. The biggest issue is that we touch stuff all day long and don't necessarily wash our hands before touching our phone - so the phone gets "germy". I don't find it an issue. I clean my phone regularly and I wash my hands often. I'm not obsessive about it but I know it's an easy thing I can do to avoid getting sick.

If I had lots of people getting in my car and touching the screen I'd probably want to clean it - but that's not how my life goes. I suppose if you have kids touching the screen a lot it might be a different story.

the 17" touch screen was HUGE and IMO overkill. It doesn't need to be, nor SHOULD it be - that large in a car. Something half the size would be more than adequate.

I would think the future is in voice commands so we don't have to touch anything. We speak the command and the car (or nav or radio or phone obeys). MB already has decent voice command system. So does my BMW although the MB works better in general.

I would think a combination of voice commands and heads up display might be the ultimate in reducing distracted driving - but it seems heads up displays have gone the way of the dodo bird.

Good points. I myself would not care much for voice commands. They are nice thing to have though I am sure. Mercedes-Benz has a few vehicles I would buy if I had the $$$. I am curious, what do you mean when you say you are an occasional employee of theirs?

unsanitary compared to what, buttons? touching is touching.... cleaning wise, it's a lot easier to clean one large touch screen that dozen's of buttons, the Tesla even has a "screen cleaning" mode...

I've had and used most of the systems from BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus, Land Rover, etc... none of them are as easy to use as the large Tesla touchscreen. Plus you can customize the screen and what buttons the car does have to be tailored to your needs....

unsanitary compared to what, buttons? touching is touching.... cleaning wise, it's a lot easier to clean one large touch screen that dozen's of buttons, the Tesla even has a "screen cleaning" mode...

I've had and used most of the systems from BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus, Land Rover, etc... none of them are as easy to use as the large Tesla touchscreen. Plus you can customize the screen and what buttons the car does have to be tailored to your needs....

That is a good point. I agree that buttons probably physically can't be more sanitary but they just "feel" more sanitary than a screen where you are sliding your fingers against for certain applications. I think that is what bugs some people.

I have had several BMWs, and several Mercedes. All the cars are using various systems to control on the interior electronics. I will tell you from my experience the easiest one operate is my Tesla. Primarily because of Google maps. Finding a restaurant, an address or location is super simple and easy compared to any other navigation system I've used. I absolutely hate German technology for Navigation. I haven't seen or used one system that I feel that is user-friendly. My wife has a Lexus that I would rate as second easiest to use to the Tesla. I think voice commands are going to become better and easier to use. I do agree with some of the statements above or buttons are nice. I will tell you that a simple volume button on the Tesla on the dash would be nice as well as a couple other simple buttons for temperature control etc. the heads up display that I have on my BMW 760, I absolutely love. I would like to see this on all of my vehicles, as once you are used to it you really enjoy technology. The size of the display on the Tesla could be a little smaller, but again, in having owned my Model S for two years this fall, I can tell you it does not bother me or cause any distractions whatsoever. My Model S is my favorite daily driver. I have several daily driver's to choose from. But I always pick this car first. I don't mind that it's quiet. What I love more than anything is the quick acceleration off the stoplight. I love blowing away people who are unsuspecting. In merging on the freeway for trying to merge into any traffic I find that the instant working acceleration allows me to be a much more aggressive driver as well as safer as I'm able to merge more efficiently.

Just like expected, but gives you a good idea how instantaneous the power is delivered in the Tesla. Crazy pull the first few seconds.

two badass cars there... :)

Just like expected, but gives you a good idea how instantaneous the power is delivered in the Tesla. Crazy pull the first few seconds.

How does tesla protect against the severly low temperatures? Range varies widely with ambient temps. A family friend who loves his model S and is a retired CEO of a fortune 500 company lives in Minnesota. Apparently during the winter his range suffered greatly and at one point the car just wouldn't charge due to the severe cold.

Now I have to weight the Tesla Model S versus the Audi A7 Turbo Diesel...

Audi probably wins on interior + it's not driving a microwave oven/dishwasher/etc

Wonder what this would look like versus a Veyron? Man, I'd love to do a 0-60 in a Telsa, that must be awesome.

Imagine a Turbo V10 with electronic fill-in for all that "power loss."

Could make for an interesting hybrid car concept. Starts off accelerating with the electric motor, then the V10 kicks in at 60 mph to take over to drive. However, in terms of mechanical complexity, it might just be simpler to make it a gas-electric drive, i.e. have the engine burn fuel but powering an electric generator and then the generator be what powers the electric motor. This way you'd get the instant torque from the electric motor but the range of a IC engine.

How does tesla protect against the severly low temperatures? Range varies widely with ambient temps. A family friend who loves his model S and is a retired CEO of a fortune 500 company lives in Minnesota. Apparently during the winter his range suffered greatly and at one point the car just wouldn't charge due to the severe cold.

I would say this is bullshit. I have several friends in Minnesota with Teslas and they rave about the winter driving. They are awesome in the snow, but AWD is coming soon for the belts and suspenders type people. Cold will take away some if your range but the battery has a heater to minimize this. It's a formula for battery loss from cold or the heating of it, but should never be more than a 10% drop in Range.

... I'd love to do a 0-60 in a Telsa, that must be awesome.

0 - 60 was okay - nothing earthshaking...but 40 to 90 was QUICK! Incredibly quick!

When I was driving (the Lambo) home from Boston a guy in a Tesla pulled up beside me - smiled/waived - and then pulled away from me like I was standing still (I was probably doing 80) Traffic was heavy enough that I didn't want to "play". He was weaving in / out and passing people on the right, and driving like a jerk so I didn't want to associate with him - but it was my first interaction with a Tesla showing me what they're made of.

My test drive confirmed it. They are quick - and once they're moving - the acceleration and pull was amazing (and fun). I can see why Scotty says it's easier to get up to speed and merge safely.