Tesla...

OC

Lol, Yes Brooks and I are the P85D guys in Florida. I love my DD, the new software puts the 0-60 at 3.05...it is amazing.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, Yes Brooks and I are the P85D guys in Florida. I love my DD, the new software puts the 0-60 at 3.05...it is amazing.

Well then fucker I didnt catch the sarcasm.... :eusa_dance: :icon_mrgreen:

One point I had meant to make earlier but forgot is that, with regards to most people not driving over 250 miles each day, that is true, but, if the Tesla is their only car and they need to get out of the area due to say a natural disaster coming or something, they may need more than 250 miles range. I also do not like the idea of battery changing stations. You buy a car with a brand-new battery and then it runs low on charge so then it gets switched out for someone else's used battery that they have been driving who-knows-how. Meanwhile someone else gets your brand-new battery.

One point I had meant to make earlier but forgot is that, with regards to most people not driving over 250 miles each day, that is true, but, if the Tesla is their only car and they need to get out of the area due to say a natural disaster coming or something, they may need more than 250 miles range. I also do not like the idea of battery changing stations. You buy a car with a brand-new battery and then it runs low on charge so then it gets switched out for someone else's used battery that they have been driving who-knows-how. Meanwhile someone else gets your brand-new battery.

Battery changing will probably only be in Cali, and with a 8 year warranty and about 1% degradation annually, should not be an issue, but I agree with your thought. On another note, if a disaster did happen...how long before fuel runs out in an area? With the new solar battery system launched yesterday, which i hear will be come the superchargers....you could get charged even when the rest of the area is shut down.

I think the idea is/was that you rent the battery you swap to, and when you return to the swap station, you get your original fully charged battery back (assuming you are going back the same way). You pay more if you keep the rented battery, but it comes with new warranties etc.

Battery changing will probably only be in Cali, and with a 8 year warranty and about 1% degradation annually, should not be an issue, but I agree with your thought. On another note, if a disaster did happen...how long before fuel runs out in an area? With the new solar battery system launched yesterday, which i hear will be come the superchargers....you could get charged even when the rest of the area is shut down.

With regards to a disaster, I am talking about if you have to get out of an area and have to go a ways. So with an IC engine vehicle, you would just be driving to areas that had fuel available. Now if we are talking about a scenario such as a nationwide power grid failure, then that would be different, and having a solar-powered charging station at home would be a great thing.

I think the idea is/was that you rent the battery you swap to, and when you return to the swap station, you get your original fully charged battery back (assuming you are going back the same way). You pay more if you keep the rented battery, but it comes with new warranties etc.

I see.

With regards to a disaster, I am talking about if you have to get out of an area and have to go a ways. So with an IC engine vehicle, you would just be driving to areas that had fuel available. Now if we are talking about a scenario such as a nationwide power grid failure, then that would be different, and having a solar-powered charging station at home would be a great thing.

This was always my argument, look at all the Tesla owners we have on this forum. Or even the average Tesla Model S owner, where the purchase price was $80-110k. Of the people we know, how many of them own a Tesla as their only vehicle?

As a general percentage of the entire ownership group, i'm betting that number is less than 5%. Hell it's the US, even if they start selling a $45k Tesla, I'm still willing to bet very very few will have it as their only vehicle.

Beyond that, how many natural disasters require you to get more than ~250 miles away to escape it? From LA I can be in Vegas, or almost to Phoenix. If that doesn't have me safely out of the disaster area we're all fucked anyway. And in that instance where something is that fucked up, I'm guessing the roads won't be fit for a Tesla anyway. You'll have better luck riding a burro :icon_mrgreen:

+1 what he said. you will be billed if you keep a newer battery than the one you swapped out for, or you get your original back.

Beyond that, how many natural disasters require you to get more than ~250 miles away to escape it? From LA I can be in Vegas, or almost to Phoenix. If that doesn't have me safely out of the disaster area we're all fucked anyway. And in that instance where something is that fucked up, I'm guessing the roads won't be fit for a Tesla anyway. You'll have better luck riding a burro :icon_mrgreen:

Well it isn't just for raw distance travelling. You may need to go off-road and thus be slower-going, or you may be stuck sitting in traffic for long periods of time (during Katrina there were a lot of abandoned vehicles on the roads that had been caught in traffic jams and run out of gas), if it is cold weather, you will need to be able to keep the vehicle operating for the heating system (and if with elderly people who can't handle high heat, the air conditioning), you might be living out of the vehicle for a bit, etc...as for types of disaster, maybe a major earthquake, nuclear power plant disaster, regional power grid failure, etc...

Well it isn't just for raw distance travelling. You may need to go off-road and thus be slower-going, or you may be stuck sitting in traffic for long periods of time (during Katrina there were a lot of abandoned vehicles on the roads that had been caught in traffic jams and run out of gas), if it is cold weather, you will need to be able to keep the vehicle operating for the heating system (and if with elderly people who can't handle high heat, the air conditioning), you might be living out of the vehicle for a bit, etc...as for types of disaster, maybe a major earthquake, nuclear power plant disaster, regional power grid failure, etc...

I guess at that point you will just have to accept your faith and die which would be pretty ironic considering that the only reason I see myself driving a dishwasher around would be to stop disturbing our planet's fragile equilibrium by farting poison out of my exhaust system which is claimed to be the contributing factor to such natural disasters. Life's a bitch!

If you are buying a car preparing for the end of the world, I think you can rule out most vehicles, gas or electric...

With me, I don't buy global warming or climate change liberal bull shit! Second, even at CDN pricing, believe gas is still very cheap. So the two reasons to get a Tesla, are mute for me. I've had several S class Mercedes, Rolls Royce Silver Spur and a Seraph. Sorry but the Tesla for the money is very cheap inside and out. I buy luxury sedans for the smooth ride, not getting to 60 fast. In this regard, if I need a sedan, it will either be a S class or the Rolls Royce Ghost (used).

If all those things are criteria for your next vehicle purchase, then you should be looking at H1 Alphas, Wrangler Rubicons, or a fcuking unimog, not 600hp luxury sedans. :eusa_wall:

If you are buying a car preparing for the end of the world, I think you can rule out most vehicles, gas or electric...

Preparing for a major disaster versus the end of the world are not the same thing.

If all those things are criteria for your next vehicle purchase, then you should be looking at H1 Alphas, Wrangler Rubicons, or a fcuking unimog, not 600hp luxury sedans. :eusa_wall:

Not everyone has the money for a vehicle like that. But for the vehicle you can buy, it at the very least needs a good range just in case you have to get the hell out of dodge, so-to-speak.

But then wouldn't you be looking at that regardless...I mean if you think about it, many people probably do travel, and although Tesla has charging stations everywhere, I assume many people who do a decent amount of traveling or driving already consider gas mileage.

The first thing I noted was that the Tesla for me, would not work because I could only use it as a grocery getter, and it couldn't do trips from Ottawa to Detroit, which is about 800km or so. So it was definitely something I had to consider because the car I would be using needed to do that.

I think you went a bit more on the extreme to your point, but I think people already think of those things to begin with. People who are stuck in traffic a lot, or are around traffic know that it could be the case, I did as well so I had to think accordingly. You don't need to stretch to end of the world or natural disasters for that. Plus for offroad, the Tesla can be lifted about 2 inches, which then makes it just a bit lower than most SUVs...no reason.

And if you're thinking along those lines after that still...then you're not looking at the Tesla because you need an SUV or larger pick up truck, so the Tesla is out. I think you're looking for the new Land Rover Discovery or Range Rover then, but using your argument, the Tesla doesn't make sense for you.

I wanted the Tesla, but given the 800km distances I had to cover in some cases (hell my car went from Ottawa to Chicago), I opted not to go Tesla and went with the Audi instead. I looked at the A4 before I decided to go to an SUV...and I get 900km on a tank...more than enough to handle off road items with the AWD and everything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Shit is real. Just picked this up for kicks. Goes like stink.

Shit just got realer!

P90D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While working on our goal of making the power train last a million miles, we came up with the idea for an advanced smart fuse for the battery. Instead of a standard fuse that just melts past a certain amperage, which means you aren’t exactly sure when it will or won’t melt or if it will arc when it does, we developed a fuse with its own electronics and a tiny lithium-ion battery. It constantly monitors current at the millisecond level and is pyro-actuated to cut power with extreme precision and certainty.

That was combined with upgrading the main pack contractor to use inconel (a high temperature space-grade superalloy) instead of steel, so that it remains springy under the heat of heavy current.

The net result is that we can safely increase max amp throughout from 1300 to 1500 Amps. If you don’t know much about Amps, trust me this is a silly big number of Amps to be going through something the size of your little fingernail.

What this results in is a 10% improvement in the 0 to 60 mph time to 2.8 secs and a quarter mile time of 10.9 secs. Time to 155 mph is improved even more, resulting in a 20% reduction.

I almost went Tesla but at the last minute put a BMW i8 on order. My lambo doors don't go up so I had to do SOMETHING. Plus I don't want my wife driving it so I had to make sure the storage would suck.

I almost went Tesla but at the last minute put a BMW i8 on order. My lambo doors don't go up so I had to do SOMETHING. Plus I don't want my wife driving it so I had to make sure the storage would suck.

The i8 is the best car I have ever driven. Amazing daily driver and it does everything so well.

Looks like a space ship.

Doors are nuts.

Electric mode for sneaking around or being environmentally friendly.

Exhaust note sounds great on down shifts.

Manual sport mode makes 80-120 happen in a blink of the eye.

Tech is the best out there. The heads up display coupled with navigation is ridiculous.

Oh and it will family if needed. Took it with the wife and kids (in booster seats) to a cars and coffee event a few weeks ago.

The i8 is the best car I have ever driven. Amazing daily driver and it does everything so well.

Looks like a space ship.

Doors are nuts.

Electric mode for sneaking around or being environmentally friendly.

Exhaust note sounds great on down shifts.

Manual sport mode makes 80-120 happen in a blink of the eye.

Tech is the best out there. The heads up display coupled with navigation is ridiculous.

Oh and it will family if needed. Took it with the wife and kids (in booster seats) to a cars and coffee event a few weeks ago.

Awesome pics and write up! I was wondering about the rear seats and boosters since my kids are almost 3 and 6.

Car should be delivered in August. Can't wait to save the environment from the damage my TTG is causing.

Awesome pics and write up! I was wondering about the rear seats and boosters since my kids are almost 3 and 6.

Car should be delivered in August. Can't wait to save the environment from the damage my TTG is causing.

So my kids are soon to be 5 and 4. The one car seat we put in with the LATCH and the other we put in with the seat belt. Other then gymnastics to get them in it wasn't terrible. My 4 yo sat behind my wife and was fine. My 3 yo sat behind me and complained about his legs the entire time. I'd rank it's roominess up there with any other 2dr 4 seat sports coupe on the market.

Doable? Sure.

Comfortable...not the best.

That being said as a DD YOU CAN'T BEAT IT! I understand why DoctaM3 DDs his. I would too. Your sense of speed is spoiled by the TT no doubt but I don't think the i8 will let you down at all. I will see if I can get DoctaM3 to start a thread on his car. He is working on the video to accompany our trip up to CnC in the car but I don't know when it will be done.