V Balboni at his finest...

Mako

Designer Luc Donckerwolke (who penned the Murcie and Gallardo for those not in the know), was doing an online chat yesterday when someone asked him about his experience at Lambo:

"The day I arrived at Lamborghini, knowing that my car design (the Murcielago) had been chosen, I thought "wow, I'm going to work at Lamborghini," then I met Valentino Balboni and he said "You're going to design the engine cover. We design the engine, you design the engine cover." He meant the whole car was an engine cover, because the main actor was the engine. It made me feel humble. That was my first day at Lamborghini."

:icon_thumleft:

Donkerwolke has long moved on from Lambo and now currently heads Bentley's team. When asked about the next Conti, this was his response:

"I can only say that the next car will be the next step forward. We want to take this brand forward, the new Bentley started with Continental GT. It's a brand builder. Bentley is a special brand that has both a strong performance and luxury heritage that are delivered in the Conti GT. The first gen to second gen carried strong brand DNA, innovation is a tradition. The DNA needs to carry over, the bold statement. It's a challenge for us, but the challenge we love to take."

"This kind of evolution, sharpening of the car, helped to settle it. The car can have a real step forward. The third gen can get it's own character sharpened, but unmistakable Bentley. We don't want to break the evolution, you'll recognize it immediately as being a Continental GT. Our brand is in our design. It has to be extremely desirable when it hits the market, but it isn't about making the other generations look dated, it's about complimenting them. It's like having a Porsche 911, no matter the generation it's still a 911. It becomes a brand in itself. The car has to last as a timeless piece, our car doesn't become old, it becomes classic."

"Some brands have to use every opportunity to create a styling element, we're about reducing that. We want a timeless design."

He sounds like a pretty sweet dude. Balboni as usual sounds like a BA! You...you design the engine cover. Hahahaha.

Luc was at the Grand Giro Gala dinner. When he was on stage and asked to make a speech, he said "Although I work at another place now, this is where I left my heart behind."

Balboni --- he is as classy and cool as one can get.