Mayweather Vs Maidana, May 3rd

pakisho

Thoughts? Im stoked, especially with Broner-Molina and Khan-Collazo on the undercard.

If Maidana swarms FMJ like he did Broner, things could be interesting. At least, more interesting than the Canelo snoozefest. If he doesnt make a dent by the third round, I think he gets dismantled.

Thoughts? Im stoked, especially with Broner-Molina and Khan-Collazo on the undercard.

If Maidana swarms FMJ like he did Broner, things could be interesting. At least, more interesting than the Canelo snoozefest. If he doesnt make a dent by the third round, I think he gets dismantled.

No doubt Showtime is gonna drop the hammer on Mayweather if the PPV numbers disappoint (this seems to be the belief on his upcoming fight) because his opponent is solid, but not exactly prize-fight material.

With Manny's recent win, its only fueling the fire of the last few years, that the Manny/Floyd fight is what the fans want. People are not gonna pay top dollar to watch a lame fight, they want the excitement of a reasonably matched fight, with the suspense that keeps the sports-book handicappers on their toes, and keeps the MGM buzzing & happy.

Every one involved would make serious $, and that has a funny way of swaying people's opinion, and place serious pressure on Floyd to agree.

2 or 3 fight left in his Showtime contract (if I'm not mistaken), most think that he will leave the last fight for Pacman, I hope that's the case, that would be a fight I will attend !

Broner got humbled, Floyd might follow, unlikely as it is, that's what makes Boxing one of my favorite sports, you really never know, especially when its at this "top of the mountain" level !

I think the more FM should be encouraged to fight MP since the latter's feared power is now missing. I still want to see the fight. I want to see FM get in the ring with a fighter that is fast and of his caliber.

Agree, great card all the way around. The oddsmakers have this one right though, Maidana is a huge dog and deservedly so.

Loved seeming him destroy that imbecile Broner, but unlike what most of the public thinks because their styles look a little similar Mayweather is on another planet in terms of talent...Broner isn't even in his universe.

Boxing has been absolutely on fire the past 18 months, a true resuragance after so long in the toilet. This is going to be another fantastic year for fans due to guys like Golovkin/Ward/Stephenson/Garcia/Mayweather/Kovolev/etc/etc/etc in almost every division. A lot of great fights to be made.

Glad to see it, it's the 80s all over again... :eusa_dance:

Mayweather/Manny is never going to happen. Manny is not in his prime anymore so it dont matter now. That fight needed to happen years ago.

Never say never.

And if it's Pac's "heart" not his physical condition that people are questioning, there are no doubts that there is one opponent who could fix all of that.

I think Pac would be all in for the fight. Question is, would Mayweather?

• 3 weeks later...
Well, that was a lot more interesting than we would have thought.

858 to 426 punches thrown by Maidana & Mayweather respectively. 230 to 221 punches landed by Mayweather & Maidana respectively. If possible, you have to block out all of the non landed punches & only focus strictly on the landed ones. When you do that, Mayweather easily wins by two majority score cards that were in his favor.

858 to 426 punches thrown by Maidana & Mayweather respectively. 230 to 221 punches landed by Mayweather & Maidana respectively. If possible, you have to block out all of the non landed punches & only focus strictly on the landed ones. When you do that, Mayweather easily wins by two majority score cards that were in his favor.

I noticed a big percentage disparity in shots landed, but is that all boxing is about....percentages? Does tempo of fight not matter at all? The first few rounds Mayweather did pretty much nothing.

Some of the analysts felt that Maidana wasn't getting enough credit for controlling a round as he should have. There was a round where Mayweather landed 8 to Maidana 23....should mayweather have won that round if he went 8/8?

Mayweather himself is claiming he fought this way to make it more entertaining for the fans, and could have fought it "his way" and won more convincingly and in less exciting fashion.

BTW, we're getting away from the premise that this fight was a lot more interesting than was anticipated. Huge dog, and he put up a better show than just about every Mayweather opponent I've seen in a long time.

Or am I missing something?

I noticed a big percentage disparity in shots landed, but is that all boxing is about....percentages? Does tempo of fight not matter at all? The first few rounds Mayweather did pretty much nothing.

Some of the analysts felt that Maidana wasn't getting enough credit for controlling a round as he should have. There was a round where Mayweather landed 8 to Maidana 23....should mayweather have won that round if he went 8/8?

Mayweather himself is claiming he fought this way to make it more entertaining for the fans, and could have fought it "his way" and won more convincingly and in less exciting fashion.

BTW, we're getting away from the premise that this fight was a lot more interesting than was anticipated. Huge dog, and he put up a better show than just about every Mayweather opponent I've seen in a long time.

Or am I missing something?

U'r looking at this as a MAYWEATHER fight. I'm looking at this as 2 boxers and one is the champ and the other is the challenger, not considering names. & in order for the challenger to win he has to convincingly beat the champion. Maidana came up short. He didn't land more shots, he didn't noticeably hurt the champ at any point, and he never knocked down the champ at any point.

His aggressive tempo means nothing if he's not connecting.

U'r looking at this as a MAYWEATHER fight. I'm looking at this as 2 boxers and one is the champ and the other is the challenger, not considering names. & in order for the challenger to win he has to convincingly beat the champion. Maidana came up short.

Both of them are champions, this was a unification bout so there's no champ and challenger. Still, I have no issue with FM winning because he did more in the second half to get the victory. But I thought it was close. I had it a draw or at the very most FM up by 2rounds -that is being too gratuitous already. I don't understand how the 2 judges scored it 117-111 and 116-112. Clearly there is too much bias.

But after watching this fight, I don't understand how a lot of people can think that Pacman has no chance against FM. I'm pretty sure Pacman is faster, smarter and has more stamina than Maidana. I seriously think FM will have a hard time with Pacman. And it would be nice to see a fighter unify as much belts possible in a weight division.

I'd love to see RaginBull weigh in. I know he is a huge boxing fan and I think he was there for the fight!

Adrien broner is a no talent ass clown with zero class.

Amir khan was very impressive. Great welterweight debut. Stuck to his plan and completely outfoxed Luis.

Maidana, god bless him, chino gives zero fucks. He fought his heart out but money may is too damn smart and quick.

I'm guessing they rematch in sept.

A good night for boxing.

FM has avoided matches that area real challenge. He takes the big $$ "HBO" fights leaving the real threats on the sidelines. He is trying to build his legacy so maybe he will fight Pacman.....would have been a better more meaningful fight when first scheduled.

great fight either way! im just happy Justin bieber showed LMFAO

he looked like FM's boyfriend from jail :fgay:

Anywhere I could watch that fight?

Finnish sports channels for which I pay enough suck, as they did not even show the fight!

I was there. The fight was impressive. Maidana got called for hitting him in the back of the head several times with that overhand right he kept throwing. FM won the fight, the first few rounds to Maidana, but FM won the fight.

The 100k people running like a heard of cattle past Fiamma in the MGM was exciting, they say someone pulled out a gun.

I was there. The fight was impressive. Maidana got called for hitting him in the back of the head several times with that overhand right he kept throwing. FM won the fight, the first few rounds to Maidana, but FM won the fight.

The 100k people running like a heard of cattle past Fiamma in the MGM was exciting, they say someone pulled out a gun.

According to media sources a camera rig fell over....no gunshots.

Best article I found, that deciphers the fight, with decent technical analysis:

http://deadspin.com/how-marcos-maidana-alm...ther-1571800209

Some excerpts from the above article in "." along with my $0.02:

Maidana clearly didn't get enough credit for that takedown.

"....Floyd Mayweather is the world's most masterful boxer, while Marcos Maidana fights like a man who has never boxed before, ever...."

Maidana fights like a drunk fighting at a bar, from the technical lens he's a street fighter, plus his defense needs ALOT of work, power is nothing if you can't control it, which is why Floyd won, your 800+ punches Maidana mean nothing if they aren't accurate.

I really enjoyed that fight.

These type of fights, keep the sport exciting, no one expected Maidana's overhand right to be this effective, it stunned Floyd, and it may be the key to identifying his achilles heel; keeping him on the ropes, where his impressive leg work and fast combinations do nothing for him, Floyd proved to be weak when fighitng on the inside, he can only win; fighting on the outside.

Maidana, god bless him, chino gives zero fucks. He fought his heart out but money may is too damn smart and quick.

Most boxing analyst, would go far enough to say Maidana is anything but a pro-boxer, he's a brawler, but that may be the secret to beating Floyd, since it goes against his mental hard-wiring (expectations) of where/how he's going to be attacked.

But Floyd being Floyd, he does what real winners (in any of life's realms) can do, he adapted, adjusted, tweaked himself, and neutralized the threat.

"....The wild and crazy guys are sometimes the hardest for a boxer to handle, because their punches do not come from where they should come from, according to the boxing handbook...."

I would enjoy the re-match, no one came closer to beating Floyd than this Argentinian.

But doubt Floyd would take that route, too much to risk, too little to gain. Plus I don't feel he deserves it, he scuffled (more than box) and still couldn't win, and even tried to use a horse-hair filled glove, instead of the conforming foam padded glove that is safer (both are approved by the Nevada athletic commission), but both fighters have to agree which glove the opponent uses, and Floyd's camp said "HELL NO".

Amir Khan could be a possibility, I respect his fighting spirit, too much ego at times, but enjoyable none the less.

Finally, the greatest (Ali) chimed in with a tweet, asking Floyd to face Pacquiao, we can only wish he answers Ali's urge (via his post fight tweet)....http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/10885632/floyd-mayweather-remains-undefeated-boxing-legends-calling-out?ex_cid=espnsoc

Great night for boxing, I got my PPV $ worth !

Floyd just posted this pic and quote on his Facebook page. Must be nice!

"$32,000,000.00 for 36 minutes. I'm waiting for the PPV numbers to come in so I can make another $38,000,000.00 on the back-end... making it a grand total of $70,000,000.00."

post-424-1399379265_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...