Blown Motor M3 2011 Sedan

kinnsella

I picked up a 2011 M3 Sedan with 6k miles on it in 2012 as my dd. Last year of the good stuff, no turbos, hydraulic steering and shitty gas mileage. I have 2 kids, need 4 doors and wanted a small daily driver with an edge. Great car, really spans the grocery getter to serious piece of kit once you dial out the understeer.

Well the motor blew at 35k miles....rod bearing failure. BMW wants to put a re manufactured unit in, any input would be appreciated. My initial thought is walk away and make them buy the car back. It's under warranty.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can get them to take the car back, do it. It is unlikely they will agree to it given that is has 35000miles but worth a try. I would have no issue with a remanufactured unit with a warranty.

I agree this is one of the last old tech m cars. I dd a 08 m3 coupe. Not many options out there give me a na V8, 6 speed mt, and a great trunk. Just about to turn 36000 mi. I agree with the post above too, hopefully your dealer takes care of you.

manufacturers buy back cars that were bought used?

I know that could be tricky, I have owned a lot of BMW's, so we'll see.

I posted the engine failure on a couple of BMW forums, the consensus is there can be issues with the bearings, which is what killed my motor.

Personally I think BMW has spread itself way to thin rapidly expanding into every possible niche with all the X vehicles, Mini's and now the i cars.

Personally I think BMW has spread itself way to thin rapidly expanding into every possible niche with all the X vehicles, Mini's and now the i cars.

:iamwithstupid:

I went on their site the other day as I do about once a year to check out lease specials, and it took 5 minutes to load the page now that they have 8,000 models.

Took a feather out of lamborghinis cap!

I would go with the reman engine as it will have a 1 year warranty on it, and they have likely fixed what is ailing the motor. As for buying the car back, I don't even see how that is possible since it was bought used, it is 3 years old and no where near a lemon law. The reason cars have warranties is for issues where they burp a motor or trans, and then they fix it. The reason for the reman motor is likely because they don't have any new ones laying around anymore. Either way, I sincerely hope it works out.

I would go with the reman engine as it will have a 1 year warranty on it, and they have likely fixed what is ailing the motor. As for buying the car back, I don't even see how that is possible since it was bought used, it is 3 years old and no where near a lemon law. The reason cars have warranties is for issues where they burp a motor or trans, and then they fix it. The reason for the reman motor is likely because they don't have any new ones laying around anymore. Either way, I sincerely hope it works out.

You bring up good points, however you're never going to get a "yes" answer if you don't ask. I would prefer to return the vehicle as it seems there is an underlying bearing issue with some of these motors, at least that's the feedback I gotten on a few BMW message boards when I raised the issue. I have had serious issues with 2 other BMW's recently both were lemoned so I think they are open (at least it seems) to buy it back due to all the problems I have had.

I'm sure you and your dealer know the situation the best. But nothing generally wrong with remanufactured just want that with long warranty.

Just got it back from the dealer. What an awesome car, you forget what you have. Been stuck driving a 320i for a week or so. The 320i isn't a bad car, the M3 is so much better. You can see the corners cut on the new gen car, it's huge and it only got 22 mpg (I get 16 in the M3). Though they have massively improved the electric steering on this gen car from the 2013's and the sport setting with the gearbox in sport too is very good for a base car, engine buzzy at the top of the rpm range. Grip level is surprisingly high considering it's probably on rock hard run flats, understeers predictably at the limit.

I must commend BMW for their incredible customer service, I thought it would take 3 to 5 weeks to source and replace the engine. It took 5 business days. Just wish they would build more reliable cars.

Still awaiting a response on whether they will buy it back...not sure I want them too.

post-13077-1398388975.jpg

Just got it back from the dealer. What an awesome car, you forget what you have. Been stuck driving a 320i for a week or so. The 320i isn't a bad car, the M3 is so much better. You can see the corners cut on the new gen car, it's huge and it only got 22 mpg (I get 16 in the M3). Though they have massively improved the electric steering on this gen car from the 2013's and the sport setting with the gearbox in sport too is very good for a base car, engine buzzy at the top of the rpm range. Grip level is surprisingly high considering it's probably on rock hard run flats, understeers predictably at the limit.

I must commend BMW for their incredible customer service, I thought it would take 3 to 5 weeks to source and replace the engine. It took 5 business days. Just wish they would build more reliable cars.

Still awaiting a response on whether they will buy it back...not sure I want them too.

Glad you got it back on the road so fast, drive safe :icon_thumleft:

If you should keep the car, I would change oil at 7500 mi instead of 15k. That is likely thr cause of failure

Funny you should mention that, I had a long conversation when I picked up the car with one of the senior service writers. His recommendation if I keep it, oil changes every 3,000 miles. I think BMW is doing themselves a disservice not requiring a more frequent maintenance schedule on their more highly stressed engines.

More good news, the motor is a new unit, not a re-manufactured one.

Funny you should mention that, I had a long conversation when I picked up the car with one of the senior service writers. His recommendation if I keep it, oil changes every 3,000 miles. I think BMW is doing themselves a disservice not requiring a more frequent maintenance schedule on their more highly stressed engines.

How funny you should mention that.

I had a CPO 335i Sedan, and when it was under CPO Maintenance warranty, 7500 miles-10,000 miles is FINE, no worries, etc. As soon as it ran out, they had a new position that "No-you cant wait that long! You will blow your motor! Change it every 3,000-4,000 miles! The service writers in Miami were horrible too. I had a brake light bulb go out, and while I was at the dealer, I asked them to change it while it was in for service. He tells me-"That will be $109.00." I say-For a Brake light bulb? I said thats a $10 part at best that takes 15 seconds to change out?? He has the balls to tell me "Well you arent driving a Toyota!" I said what the f0ck, are you kidding me-you talk to customers this way?! I went right to the parts counter bought is for $7 and installed it right in front of the guy in 15 seconds. Had a bunch of issues with the High Pressure Fuel Pump on it too. Love the Marque and the feel of the cars (I have had 3), they have just become so unreliable lately.

Got rid of it because I was tired of $250 oil changes on a $30,000 car, and spending $1200 on a brake job when needed. Miss it, but love taking my accord in and getting my brakes done and an oil change for the same price as an oil change with BMW, not caring if the motor blows because it will cost $3000 to fix, etc. Have my Z when I want to have fun.

If you should keep the car, I would change oil at 7500 mi instead of 15k. That is likely thr cause of failure

Glad you got it back on the road so fast, drive safe :icon_thumleft:

^great news!

Don't chance oil too often either. Many people say It takes several hundred-1000kms for new oil to get into it's best performance.

Revving engine with cold oil is very bad for these motors, especially those who live in colder areas, at least it is with all running Castrol TWS oils which is very stiff when cold..

Trade it in on a CPO'd RS4! :eusa_dance:

I think he wants something more reliable...not less. Last thing in the world you equate with reliable is a used Audi!

Don't chance oil too often either. Many people say It takes several hundred-1000kms for new oil to get into it's best performance.

Revving engine with cold oil is very bad for these motors, especially those who live in colder areas, at least it is with all running Castrol TWS oils which is very stiff when cold..

I use the stock Castrol oil, the previous engine burned about a quart every 5,000 miles. The oil is so viscous it is like water.

QUOTE (HannibalACP82 @ Apr 28 2014, 03:00 PM) *

Trade it in on a CPO'd RS4! eusa_dance.gif

I think he wants something more reliable...not less. Last thing in the world you equate with reliable is a used Audi!

I've done used Audi's....never again.

if in doubt about interval, just look at the oil on the dip stick after engine was running. the color will tell u when it is due.

e46 m3 (and similar for E92 m3), engine oil starts to get dirty around 4k mi. at 7000 mi, it is dark brown and due. sludge is bound to happen at 15k mi over time. castrol tws oil is $13/qt. not the end of the world. you can find them on amazon by the case for less sometimes. 3k mi interval is a waste imo as the fluid is barely dirty.

gallardo oil starts to get dirty around the same mileage too. i change it every two years around 5-6k miles. castrol edge 5w40 which is about $5/qt.

btw, m3 oil is so easy to change. you can do it with an extractor if you don't want to get under the car.

if in doubt about interval, just look at the oil on the dip stick after engine was running. the color will tell u when it is due.

No way to look at oil on a dipstick in an E9X M3, unfortunately. I expect them to cover and seal off the entire engine compartment any time.

yeah, that's a pisser. e92 has so much programming that changing a battery requires computer reprogramming at the dealer. it's ok if you plan to sell the car before warranty is up. but for a keeper, it makes maintenance more expensive than it should.

yeah, that's a pisser. e92 has so much programming that changing a battery requires computer reprogramming at the dealer. it's ok if you plan to sell the car before warranty is up. but for a keeper, it makes maintenance more expensive than it should.

They tell you that, but really they just plug a tender or jump kit into the cigarette lighter jack while they change it... Or so I've been told.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is where it jumps the shark. BMW NA told me in writing the replacement motor was brand new.

They refused to budge on taking the car back, but we did reach an agreement for loss in value which while I was not very happy with, I really had no other choice because I have too much going on right now and no time for litigation.

So the service manager contacts me for a correct mailing address and W9. In my reply I asked her whether I needed the 1,200 mile oil change that all M3 V8's require. The service advisor when I picked up the car had mentioned the run in period but not the oil change. She advised me in writing an oil change was not needed because the engine was in fact a reman unit.

I called BMW NA and they now do not know whether it is a new or reman unit. Fcuking unbelievable. Still waiting to hear what they are going to do now. I pushed strongly for them to take it back.