Blown Motor M3 2011 Sedan

kinnsella

She advised me in writing an oil change was not needed because the engine was in fact a reman unit.

Well shes fcuking retarded because regardless if it's a new motor or a rebuilt one, the break-in period and requisite oil change would be the same.

Now on principle I would be pissed if what is in your car doesn't match what was in the written agreement.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well shes fcuking retarded because regardless if it's a new motor or a rebuilt one, the break-in period and requisite oil change would be the same.

Now on principle I would be pissed if what is in your car doesn't match what was in the written agreement.

To say I'm frustrated is an understatement.

To say I'm frustrated is an understatement.

don't waste any more of your own personal time...get a lemon lawyer and let them handle it...they get paid from the car manufacturer anyways when it is all done and settled.

don't waste any more of your own personal time...get a lemon lawyer and let them handle it...they get paid from the car manufacturer anyways when it is all done and settled.

I'm considering it reluctantly. I just don't have the time. Turns out it is a remanufactured engine which is extremely disappointing. They are clowns.

Well it just gets weirder. BMW is not sure but they think it is a new motor with a re-manufactured part #. At this point I don't know what to believe, should have more tomorrow, apparently it has been escalated to Germany. Spoken to a lawyer, in a holding pattern until I get a final decision from BMW.

KinNsella.....a possible solution : An Accusump

Accusumps are oil reservoirs that connect to the engine's oiling system. They are designed collect pressurized oil from your engine and store it so it may be discharged when oil pressure is low. An Accusump Oil Accumulator delivers oil before starting to eliminate dry start scuffing (pre-oiling) and discharges oil during low oil pressure surges to protect against engine damage during demanding conditions.

LINK:

http://www.accusump.com/accusump_units.html

There was a member on here who did his own oil changes (Redline?) on his Enzo. Oil is an interesting topic. Manufacturers are getting higher and higher on intervals - and I just don't believe them at all. There is NO way a high performance motor can go 7, 10, 15k miles between changes. Lots of BS out there also. Buddy had a late 2000s 330 and had his oil changed AT THE DEALER and they did an "engine scope" every single oil change... I know the M-cars need valve adjustments which lends to higher costs, but there is still a lot of crap they try and peddle.

My C230 is oil changes every 13k and,it is supercharged. I'm at 130k miles and no issues except maybe having to add a quart of oil once a year. Hope your issue gets resolved

There was a member on here who did his own oil changes (Redline?) on his Enzo. Oil is an interesting topic. Manufacturers are getting higher and higher on intervals - and I just don't believe them at all. There is NO way a high performance motor can go 7, 10, 15k miles between changes. Lots of BS out there also. Buddy had a late 2000s 330 and had his oil changed AT THE DEALER and they did an "engine scope" every single oil change... I know the M-cars need valve adjustments which lends to higher costs, but there is still a lot of crap they try and peddle.

aehaas, and he actually has a ton of great info on various oils he has used and has tested. One thing to remember, there isn't one best oil. They are all very dependent on the particular engine demands, clearances, etc.

I'm not sure what the oil capacity is in the M3, but honestly 10k+ isn't out of the question depending on use. But the only real way to tell is to take a sample and have it tested. Keeping the oil cool is one of the biggest hurdles to long intervals, and if the car has a well designed oil cooler that isn't an issue.

My diesel truck runs 10q and usually gets changed around 10k miles, comes out black as tar but the analysis tests always come back fine. I know it's just a clunky diesel, but it does inject fuel at 23k PSI and runs around daily on 34psi of boost. They are relatively high stressed motors, just not spun to 8k rpm.

aehaas, and he actually has a ton of great info on various oils he has used and has tested. One thing to remember, there isn't one best oil. They are all very dependent on the particular engine demands, clearances, etc.

I'm not sure what the oil capacity is in the M3, but honestly 10k+ isn't out of the question depending on use. But the only real way to tell is to take a sample and have it tested. Keeping the oil cool is one of the biggest hurdles to long intervals, and if the car has a well designed oil cooler that isn't an issue.

My diesel truck runs 10q and usually gets changed around 10k miles, comes out black as tar but the analysis tests always come back fine. I know it's just a clunky diesel, but it does inject fuel at 23k PSI and runs around daily on 34psi of boost. They are relatively high stressed motors, just not spun to 8k rpm.

I live in the Santa Monica Mountains, lots of opportunities to ring the car out daily going to and from the office. I think you may have hit the nail on the head, when you drive the M3 hard, the oil temp's rise significantly, it never really moves in the Gallardo. M3 boards suggest the tolerances are VERY tight. I've always felt it could use a secondary oil cooler.

It depends if the motor works better with the oil at higher temps or not? The ZOH6 for instance is meant for higher oil temps to run better. I don't start pushing mine until the oil hits 170 degrees or so. I keep the oil temp setting as my default in my car. It will get up to about 200 degrees when I really push it and I'm not on the highway.

It depends if the motor works better with the oil at higher temps or not? The ZOH6 for instance is meant for higher oil temps to run better. I don't start pushing mine until the oil hits 170 degrees or so. I keep the oil temp setting as my default in my car. It will get up to about 200 degrees when I really push it and I'm not on the highway.

As far as oil temps go, that is actually pretty low. You absolutely want the oil up to temp before you start pushing it, and that goes for any high performance motor. Getting the oil up around 170-200 is perfect, hot enough to cook off any moisture but not burning it down. When you see oil temps of 240+ is when it starts breaking down on a molecular level and motors start consuming themselves.

• 9 months later...

Well the M3 fiasco came to a head today having been in the shop for the last 3.5 weeks.

Since the engine change, the car has had a number of problems; power steering failure, it went into limp mode several times, it won't idle properly and will surge intermittently and the gearbox will occasionally lurch at low speeds. Net net it's been at the dealer for 75 days and counting since the end of April last year when they replaced the motor.

BMW finally raised the white flag and have agreed to buy it back today. 3rd BMW in a row.

Not sure what to buy next.

Well the M3 fiasco came to a head today having been in the shop for the last 3.5 weeks.

Since the engine change, the car has had a number of problems; power steering failure, it went into limp mode several times, it won't idle properly and will surge intermittently and the gearbox will occasionally lurch at low speeds. Net net it's been at the dealer for 75 days and counting since the end of April last year when they replaced the motor.

BMW finally raised the white flag and have agreed to buy it back today. 3rd BMW in a row.

Not sure what to buy next.

Ive had quite a few BMW's and never had a serious problem, sorry to hear about all the trouble. The new C63 looks pretty impressive if you are trying to stay in the same category.

I picked up a 2011 M3 Sedan with 6k miles on it in 2012 as my dd. Last year of the good stuff, no turbos, hydraulic steering and shitty gas mileage. I have 2 kids, need 4 doors and wanted a small daily driver with an edge. Great car, really spans the grocery getter to serious piece of kit once you dial out the understeer.

Well the motor blew at 35k miles....rod bearing failure. BMW wants to put a re manufactured unit in, any input would be appreciated. My initial thought is walk away and make them buy the car back. It's under warranty.

Edit: just saw this was an old thread)

A few things. I am very familiar with these motors. The oil burning is completely normal. The oil burning is due to oil coming in between the Pistons and the cylinder walls and does produce a "level of protection," if you will . The 5,000 mile oil change is highly recommended for the S65 and S85. The rod bearing issue is very common and unfortunately, you and me both are/have experienced this issue. I just caught mine and am changing my bearings soon. If you love the car, new BMW units should have the larger clearanced rod bearings which provide more lubrication for the crankshaft and are less prone to wear. I recommend looking into BlackStone. They will test your oil samples for $25 every oil change and it will provide you with an outlook on replacing your rod bearings down the road. These are race car engines in a 4 door sedan so rod bearings are really a preventative maintenance issue. Every oil change (if you end up getting a new engine) should be done carefully with attention to if there is copper in the oil or in the filter, (it's recommended you cut it apart to look for shavings during each oil change). Let me know if there's anything you'd like advice on!

You know you want an I3!

LMAO....we are seriously considering one.

Though a BMW 328id Msport Wagon seems to be option A at this point. Ticks all the boxes.

Pros......

I will drive the Lambo more often.

It's all wheel drive, ski runs. Assuming CA gets snow.

Not too large.

Great gas mileage.

I will never love it.

Sporty enough.

Works for the kids and trips to home depot.

When my wife curbs a wheel or clips a bumper, I won't care.

Having the loaner made me drive the lambo more these last 2 months than I have in years.

As my wife pointed out if you can return a BMW after 24 to 30 months and are willing to drive a loaner for a month or two during that time (depending on the car), they are less expensive than picking up a used KIA.

Edit: just saw this was an old thread)

A few things. I am very familiar with these motors. The oil burning is completely normal. The oil burning is due to oil coming in between the Pistons and the cylinder walls and does produce a "level of protection," if you will . The 5,000 mile oil change is highly recommended for the S65 and S85. The rod bearing issue is very common and unfortunately, you and me both are/have experienced this issue. I just caught mine and am changing my bearings soon. If you love the car, new BMW units should have the larger clearanced rod bearings which provide more lubrication for the crankshaft and are less prone to wear. I recommend looking into BlackStone. They will test your oil samples for $25 every oil change and it will provide you with an outlook on replacing your rod bearings down the road. These are race car engines in a 4 door sedan so rod bearings are really a preventative maintenance issue. Every oil change (if you end up getting a new engine) should be done carefully with attention to if there is copper in the oil or in the filter, (it's recommended you cut it apart to look for shavings during each oil change). Let me know if there's anything you'd like advice on!

Great input. Better than on the M3 boards. I lost faith in the car when the motor blew, and I will miss it. I think the e90 M3 is the last of it's kind. It's a truly great car. If this was my first BMW with problems I might press on...

I know it was a major PITA for you but it sounds like BMW took care of everything they had to, in good faith I would give them more business. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Great input. Better than on the M3 boards. I lost faith in the car when the motor blew, and I will miss it. I think the e90 M3 is the last of it's kind. It's a truly great car. If this was my first BMW with problems I might press on...

Thanks man! People on the M5 boards do a LOT more research and DIY on their cars I've come to notice. I've noticed that the lower you go on the BMW food chain, the more people are afraid to take their cars apart and learn about them, (at least with the newer cars). When I owned my E90 325i, people with the same car wouldn't even think about touching it. M3 owners, would do stuff here and there, but now we have people on M5 board completely taking cars apart and whole components and doing DIY's on how to refurbish these cars and components, when these cars are just as sophisticated as the Lamborghini's we love here. We have board member's engineering replacement parts that are higher quality than the originals.

I love my M5 for exactly what it is, and I agree with you that the E90 M3 is the last of a generation of great cars. I'll NEVER get rid of my M5, as long as it will drive.

If you ever do decide to go back to an E90 M3, I do recommend it, and by that time, issues will be more easily diagnosed thanks to other users and research done by other people. Just as a fun bit of information, there was a guy with an E60 M5 on our board that reached 260,000 miles on his car, and had minimal problems, so I hope if you do go back, you don't get another bad apple!

Ian

You know you want an I3!

post-13077-1426207670_thumb.jpg

Yup!!

Got a favorable settlement from BMW after a lot of negotiating. Decided to give them another shot.

2014 BMW Terra REX i3 is my new beater. M3 goes back in a couple of weeks.

The i8 is ridiculous. If the i3 is half as cool for half the price you can't beat it!

It gets almost as much attention as the Lambo. I've really grown to like it once you understand it's idiosyncrasies.

I got a loaded one for $43k and in CA if you lease it for 30 months or more there is another $2500 rebate.

In other news we are picking up a 328xd M Sport Wagon for the Missus Monday. Traded in her SUV, decided to downsize our footprint.