Aventador Overheat Problem

NNL21

Hi,

I am having this temperature problem every time after I had driven hard and got stuck in the traffic without getting the chance to drive normally to let the car cool down. It is becoming quite a major problem for me due to the heavy traffic jams and hot weather here. I am not sure if others face the same problem with the temperature overheat but out of three Aventador in Burma, two including myself is having this problem. Our cars tend to overheat whenever we got stuck in traffic. So, I would like to know if there is any solution to this, as in are there any aftermarket parts that could solve the problem or any other way. For instance, in GTR, we could install different cooling system for transmission, oil and water. Also we could change the temperature thermostat which made a big difference in the temperature control. Due to my lack of knowledge about Lamborghini, I would be much appreciated if some of you could share some information and advice. Thank you.

Belated welcome to Lambo Power and congrats on your great collection of fine automobile.

Where did you import your Aventador from? Perhaps a call to the country of origin that imported the car. Or perhaps contact Lamborghini Bangkok since the tropical weather is relatively similar to your location.

Belated welcome to Lambo Power and congrats on your great collection of fine automobile.

Where did you import your Aventador from? Perhaps a call to the country of origin that imported the car. Or perhaps contact Lamborghini Bangkok since the tropical weather is relatively similar to your location.

Thank you.

I got my Aventador from Germany since it was the only brand-new unit available for that color at that time. So I think I will just contact Lamborghini Bangkok and see what they say.

Similar problem experienced by another member, unfortunately he didn't post any solutions. Maybe try to send him a private message.

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63646

Also this, not very probable but who knows

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68361

Thanks for sharing this information. I am having exactly the same problem as this person. Although mine was imported from Germany, my friend's was imported from the States and he is having the same problem. Now it is quite worrying to find out that "only" some cars have this issue. At first, I thought all Aventador have this same problem. Hopefully, there will be some aftermarket parts to solve this problem.

Can you manually raise the rear wing? I would think that is at least a starting point. Best of luck finding a good solution.

Both DrMac and I had this problem when we took our cars that generally live in the Northeast US to Vegas 2 years ago. Now grant it, 130 deg F any car much less a V12 will want to boil in its own skin but it turns out that the solution was to have prepped the car with a differ oil viscosity that would better withstand the head. Have you considered changing the oil esp. on the 2 cars that came from Germany & US? This would be the first place to start. Second, the car will naturally raise the spoiler and keep it raised as long as is needed but be sure to avoid it overheating because undoubtedly the car will go into Limp mode as just about happened to Dr.Mac as he was coasting into Caesars Palace 2 years ago in Vegas.

Good luck. Let us know how this turns out.

Hi,

I am having this temperature problem every time after I had driven hard and got stuck in the traffic without getting the chance to drive normally to let the car cool down. It is becoming quite a major problem for me due to the heavy traffic jams and hot weather here. I am not sure if others face the same problem with the temperature overheat but out of three Aventador in Burma, two including myself is having this problem. Our cars tend to overheat whenever we got stuck in traffic. So, I would like to know if there is any solution to this, as in are there any aftermarket parts that could solve the problem or any other way. For instance, in GTR, we could install different cooling system for transmission, oil and water. Also we could change the temperature thermostat which made a big difference in the temperature control. Due to my lack of knowledge about Lamborghini, I would be much appreciated if some of you could share some information and advice. Thank you.

what is the car doing when it is running to hot?

i lived in Vegas with a Murci and drove it when it was 50C with no problems.

i havent drove my Aventador enough to notice anything it was warm yesterday and i drove it 3 miles and the fans were running full blast the whole time, car was fine otherwise. nothing funny.

Both DrMac and I had this problem when we took our cars that generally live in the Northeast US to Vegas 2 years ago. Now grant it, 130 deg F any car much less a V12 will want to boil in its own skin but it turns out that the solution was to have prepped the car with a differ oil viscosity that would better withstand the head. Have you considered changing the oil esp. on the 2 cars that came from Germany & US? This would be the first place to start. Second, the car will naturally raise the spoiler and keep it raised as long as is needed but be sure to avoid it overheating because undoubtedly the car will go into Limp mode as just about happened to Dr.Mac as he was coasting into Caesars Palace 2 years ago in Vegas.

Great info. Thanks heaps. I will definitely change to thicker oil that can withstand more heat. Both of our car already went into Limp mode. I will keep you guys posted of how it turns out.

Can you manually raise the rear wing? I would think that is at least a starting point. Best of luck finding a good solution.

No. Is there such way to do that? I thought it can only be raised automatically when the car is at a certain speed and also when the car overheats. Thank you.

Thank you.

I got my Aventador from Germany since it was the only brand-new unit available for that color at that time. So I think I will just contact Lamborghini Bangkok and see what they say.

I am not entirely sure but your car being German/European spec may be the culprit. Many UK-spec'd Mercedes and BMW that were imported to Hong Kong as gray market cars (as both UK & HK cars are right-hand-driven) had similar problems: overheating in HK's hot & humid summer (32C / 95% humidity) during traffic jams. But all the same models that were sold through Mercedes' and BMW's sole agents were perfectly fine. Turned out the thermostat and in some cases the radiator were different on the S.E. Asia spec'd cars. Like others had said, the oil likely plays a role too. I think calling Lamborghini Bangkok and/or Lamborghini Jakarta to find out the specs for cars in those areas would likely reveal and solve your problems.

I am not entirely sure but your car being German/European spec may be the culprit. Many UK-spec'd Mercedes and BMW that were imported to Hong Kong as gray market cars (as both UK & HK cars are right-hand-driven) had similar problems: overheating in HK's hot & humid summer (32C / 95% humidity) during traffic jams. But all the same models that were sold through Mercedes' and BMW's sole agents were perfectly fine. Turned out the thermostat and in some cases the radiator were different on the S.E. Asia spec'd cars. Like others had said, the oil likely plays a role too. I think calling Lamborghini Bangkok and/or Lamborghini Jakarta to find out the specs for cars in those areas would likely reveal and solve your problems.

Lamborghini Thailand they do not service cars that not purchased from them. I had this problem before and even reported this issue to Lamborghini SPA, but the owner of the Lamborghini dealer Thailand was tricky enough to got away with this issue. He falsify the factory and make up his own story.

Not many people in Thailand purchase cars from Lamborghini Thailand because the price that the owner set is super outrages price.

My Aventador also got the heating problem as well.

Yes, i have to agree with you. It would be good at first to change oil and then to check it out.

Keep us informed pls.

its aventador roadster 2013in jakarta indonesia with overheat problem,blown coolant tank and break glass engine cover

lamborghini_kepanasan.jpg

contact Lamborghini directly; they have to sort this out! Such a massive car company (Audi backing), have to do smthg about this!

good luck!

you can try adding water wetter to the coolant. or more water to the coolant mixture. it may shorten the life of expensive water pump though.

slightly thicker oil is good in hot climate. look at the user manual for an approved viscosity.

i think AV has engine stop/start option. that can help keeping the temp down in heavy traffic.

lastly, a fan relay change may be needed. relay controls when fans come on. a modified relay can help. it's too bad the radiators are in the rear on AV. combine with engine heat, it gets heat soaked even when fan is on.

i hate to say it but the v12 layout puts limitations on daily use. radiators should be front of the car. also, clutch/trans should be rear of the car to avoid expensive engine out clutch changes.

Thanks everyone for the advices and the information...I truly appreciate it... It is quite hard for me to contact any dealer since I did not buy the car from them....I will try solving the problem by changing engine oil and also maybe changing the thermostat if possible...I am just quite busy these days and did not have a chance to tend to my cars...I will keep you guys updated after I find a good solution to the problem...

Thanks everyone for the advices and the information...I truly appreciate it... It is quite hard for me to contact any dealer since I did not buy the car from them....I will try solving the problem by changing engine oil and also maybe changing the thermostat if possible...I am just quite busy these days and did not have a chance to tend to my cars...I will keep you guys updated after I find a good solution to the problem...

Try different oil and water wetter, I don't think the thermostat will make any difference as it should be open already if the engine is getting hot, you could look for a different thermostat for the cooling fans but probably you will end up installing either uprated fans and fan motors or larger capacity radiators or both.

Wishing you good luck with the modifications, try looking at the part numbers for cooling system components for different country/climate zones and see if you spot any thing different for hot versus temperate areas.

• 1 month later...

hi NNL21 dropped you a PM. in malaysia the common problem is the overheating of clutch thus need to be especially gentle in heavy traffic. i have also heard of another problem whereby the car would not start if the engine is too hot (could take 1-1.5 hour to cool down). i will find out more including solution and post here.

• 1 month later...

local lambo dealer in Taiwan got new radiators from the factory. Its a free upgrade...service guy told me no more overheat issues. Car is at the dealer getting the upgrade as we speak

local lambo dealer in Taiwan got new radiators from the factory. Its a free upgrade...service guy told me no more overheat issues. Car is at the dealer getting the upgrade as we speak

Yes, Lamborghini recently released a big upgrade campaign on all Aventador. New radiator, fan belt and new engine/transmission/instrument cluster software upgrade. My car is currently at Lamborghini BH getting all of the upgrades done! You should contact your local dealer and book a time to get the upgrades!