Meanwhile in Japan...

I added a second video that goes into detail on a driver that is part of the group in the first video. on the OP

Interesting stuff I must say :)

• 6 months later...

Yeah, I agree... the Japanese group that came on the Grand Giro were a blast to hang out with, they loved the attention, and love the brand!

Try that in the western world, they would impound your car, confiscate your house, put your children in labour camps while driving you to jail Hannibal Lecter style.

Very Tron...

Not to hijack the post....but can someone with a better understanding of the culture please explain what is going on here.... is this comic book art brought to life ?

• 2 months later...

i saw a chrome wrap gallardo in nyc this past summer, up by that circle on the south side of the park, 2 guys driving it with suits going bat shit crazy. sad thing was everyone thought it was cool, there were 100's of people watching theses blowjobs doing what ever it was they were doing.

the wrap wasnt the worst thing, the guys driving the car were, embarassing

At first I thought they were police cars carrying Christmas trees to a rave, but then I looked more closely and could see that they were UFO's disguised as Lamborghinis disguised as a cartoon. Either that or they combine to form Voltron when they're pissed off.

Very Tron...

Not to hijack the post....but can someone with a better understanding of the culture please explain what is going on here.... is this comic book art brought to life ?

The cars you see in this video can be grouped together as bosozuku and or garuchan. The styling did not simply get to this end result with exhaust pipes streaming towards the sky in odd fashion, but developed as so over time. The origin of this stuff is actually based on the Japanese Group 5 series races that occurred in the late 70s. These cars were well known for their almost absurdly wide fenders and over dramatic exterior parts. This of course spilled over to car enthusiast and POOF! We have what has evolved over time to a large niche crowd of kyusha-kai ( classic car group ) followers in Japan.

Shakotan is a very common term to use for some of these cars. Essentially meaning very low car. There is even a manga ( a great one at that ! ) called Shakotan Boogie from the 80s. The purpose of these groups and or cars is purely at face value and by being different and loud which is not how one is supposed to live in the all too harmonious Japan.

So is it from a manga? Well yes, sort of...

I leave you with a picture :)

20080316000921.jpg

And there is this one as well.

Not my style and I couldn't live with anything neoned up like that. But in a strange way I am fascinated by their culture and sort of admire what they do.

we are friends with them and love their style. Steve pov the video guro and Japanese translator will run Goldrush under our team name (TeamSalamone) manybe ... we are speeking of it.. and he will run it with a belladonna Ford gt wide body car.