would you tell a cop you have a loaded weapon?

cake

Stopped a couple nights ago on an interstate. Was out for a ride and on my way home.

State trooper tells me he clocked me at 80 (in a 65). Asks to see license, reg, etc.

Because of the discussion in this thread I decided to tell him about my loaded weapon: got stopped by a cop - wasn't doing anything illegal I decided to tell him)

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...;hl=stopped+cop

(after re-reading the thread I realized I should have stated: "I have a CCP and a loaded weapon" I'll remember if there is a next time.

me: Officer, I have a loaded weapon in the car.

him: Well THAT'S not good.

me: Officer, I have a concealed carry permit.

him: Where is the weapon?

me: In the glove box.

him: Where is your license and registration?

me: Behind me.

him: Open the passenger window. (he walks around to passenger side). Reaches in, asks if the weapon is "in here"

me: Yes sir.

him: he pulls out my .38 S&W revolver He says "I'm taking this with me"

him: Stay here. This is all being recorded

me: Yes officer

He walks back to his car. It takes forever. He comes back and asks for my phone number (I wondered why but didn't ask). I had fished out my reg & insurance and offered it to him, and he took it thanking me. He tells me to wait.

Another forever passes. He finally comes back to the passenger side of the car. He's a bit hard to understand (speaking softly).

Him: This is a warning. If anyone knew I stopped a Lamborghini they would think it would be going faster than 80. I'd like you to slow down. 83 is my threshold. (I thought it interesting that he tells me his "cut off" for a ticket). He had unloaded the revolver and gave it back to me, gave back the rounds (5 hollow points), gave back the paperwork.

he continues:

You are one of the most polite and respectful people I've dealt with in months. I appreciate it. AND - you could have floored it and I never would have caught you. (basically he is thanking me for stopping).

me: Officer, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I really appreciate this.

him: be careful pulling away

WHY DID HE NEED MY PHONE NUMBER??? When I told him he was repeating back like he was trying to memorize. When he came back to the car he asked me to repeat it AGAIN - then went back to his car. Can't he look it up (our home is unlisted - I gave him my cell).

Side note: I know evading the law is a bad idea, and I know they have radios. What he meant when he said I could have floored it: if I hadn't slowed down and "allowed" him to catch up to me I would have been out of his sight before he could pull onto the interstate (he was in a center crossover). There were two exits within 2 miles and I could have taken either exit and he never would have known which exit - or whether I continued on. Of course he could radio ahead and if another cop was in proximity I'd be screwed - but assuming none were around and I took off before he could get my plate or specifically identify me, he would have a difficult time in court. I would NEVER incite a pursuit - but if I had decided to take off and he lost sight of me - would he have a legal leg to stand on? (just curious)

Stopped a couple nights ago on an interstate. Was out for a ride and on my way home.

State trooper tells me he clocked me at 80 (in a 65). Asks to see license, reg, etc.

Because of the discussion in this thread I decided to tell him about my loaded weapon: got stopped by a cop - wasn't doing anything illegal I decided to tell him)

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?...;hl=stopped+cop

(after re-reading the thread I realized I should have stated: "I have a CCP and a loaded weapon" I'll remember if there is a next time.

me: Officer, I have a loaded weapon in the car.

him: Well THAT'S not good.

me: Officer, I have a concealed carry permit.

him: Where is the weapon?

me: In the glove box.

him: Where is your license and registration?

me: Behind me.

him: Open the passenger window. (he walks around to passenger side). Reaches in, asks if the weapon is "in here"

him: he pulls out my .38 S&W revolver He says "I'm taking this with me"

him: Stay here. This is all being recorded

me: Yes officer

He walks back to his car. It takes forever. He comes back and asks for my phone number (I wondered why but didn't ask). I had fished out my reg & insurance and offered it to him, and he took it thanking me. He tells me to wait.

Another forever passes. He finally comes back to the passenger side of the car. He's a bit hard to understand (speaking softly).

Him: This is a warning. If anyone knew I stopped a Lamborghini they would think it would be going faster than 80. I'd like you to slow down. 83 is my threshold. (I thought it interesting that he tells me his "cut off" for a ticket). He had unloaded the revolver and gave it back to me, gave back the rounds (5 hollow points), gave back the paperwork.

he continues:

You are one of the most polite and respectful people I've dealt with in months. I appreciate it. AND - you could have floored it and I never would have caught you. (basically he is thanking me for stopping).

me: Officer, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I really appreciate this.

him: be careful pulling away

WHY DID HE NEED MY PHONE NUMBER??? When I told him he was repeating back like he was trying to memorize. When he came back to the car he asked me to repeat it AGAIN - then went back to his car. Can't he look it up (our home is unlisted - I gave him my cell).

Side note: I know evading the law is a bad idea, and I know they have radios. What he meant when he said I could have floored it: if I hadn't slowed down and "allowed" him to catch up to me I would have been out of his sight before he could pull onto the interstate (he was in a center crossover). There were two exits within 2 miles and I could have taken either exit and he never would have known which exit - or whether I continued on. Of course he could radio ahead and if another cop was in proximity I'd be screwed - but assuming none were around and I took off before he could get my plate or specifically identify me, he would have a difficult time in court. I would NEVER incite a pursuit - but if I had decided to take off and he lost sight of me - would he have a legal leg to stand on? (just curious)

I think you've got a date coming.

No clue why he wanted your #, possibly attempting to double check your identity? Would not have let him in the car or let him take my pistol. But I'm guessing he ran the serial to make sure it didn't come up with any matches.

LMAO, maybe. "Hey Cake it's your buddy Rick!", "Rick? Rick who?", "You remember Officer Rick Schroder, I pulled you over the other night and told you what a gentleman you are.", "Oh, yea, uhh everything ok Rick?", "Yea buddy, just want to know if you wanna go hang out and take the Lambo for a spin? I'll let you drive my cop car and turn on the lights if I can take the Murci out."

No clue why he wanted your #, possibly attempting to double check your identity? Would not have let him in the car or let him take my pistol. But I'm guessing he ran the serial to make sure it didn't come up with any matches.

LMAO, maybe. "Hey Cake it's your buddy Rick!", "Rick? Rick who?", "You remember Officer Rick Schroder, I pulled you over the other night and told you what a gentleman you are.", "Oh, yea, uhh everything ok Rick?", "Yea buddy, just want to know if you wanna go hang out and take the Lambo for a spin? I'll let you drive my cop car and turn on the lights if I can take the Murci out."

I think cake is a woman

This occurred to me - but it didn't feel like he was hitting on me. He was VERY businesslike. I've researched this topic and can't find a definitive answer. He can ask whatever he wants. I don't have to answer. Can't he look up phone numbers? Doesn't he have access to that info if he wants it? - even unlisted phone numbers (like our home #)? One site suggested it's so I can be reached if my court date changes - but I received a warning (no court date involved) so why would he need my number for only a warning?

:lol2:

I am female (and drive an LP560)

:eusa_naughty:

Yeah, phone number part is strange. Should have asked why he needs your phone number.

LOL @ Romandad, sounds about right.

He fancies a good lookin' woman in an Lamborghini that carries a loaded pistol. He'd be dumb not to ask for your number! :lol2:
:icon_thumleft: :lol2:

I'll have to admit the phone number thing is weird although he could be testing you as he made you repeat it.

Police officers will at times quiz a person on personal and specific details and then re-ask to see if you are telling the truth or not.

Although it does not happen often I have always been very polite, co-operative and non-threatening whenever pulled over by the police.

My routine is to pull over in a safe spot well off the shoulder or roadside.

Put the vehicle in park

Lower the driver side window completely

Keep both hands visible on the steering wheel.

Depending on the conditions I may or may not choose to inform the officer that I have a loaded weapon in the vehicle. (In Georgia it is discretionary)

I have been pulled over twice in my company truck in the last 4 years, both times for speeding.

The first time I disclosed the fact that I had a loaded weapon and a CCP.

He radioed for back-up, removed my weapon, unloaded it, had me walk to the back of the truck, frisked me, held me up for about 25 to 30 minutes and gave me a ticket for speeding.

Although he thanked me and told me I did the right thing in informing him about my weapon I felt like a thug and was basically treated like one.

The second time I was pulled over I chose not to mention my weapon.

Got a ticket and drove off 5 minutes later.

No fussing about with anything.

I had both tickets reduced to non-moving, non-point violations and paid the fines.

I got pulled over two years ago in the Countach for speeding (I did not have my gun with me)

Pulled over at an angle so he could see into the car upon approaching me, door open, engine off, hands on the steering wheel.

I immediately stated that I new why he was pulling me over and that the vehicle was completely compliant, register, insured and I had a 100% clean and valid license.

I got basically the same response from the sheriff, I just appreciate your honestly and the fact you stopped, you could have floored it and I never would have caught you.

I Just said I would never even think about doing that and I am sure it would not take long for them to find me and my car.

He explained that if were to have wrote me a ticket he would have to arrest me, impound the vehicle and throw my ass in jail because of Georgia's super speeder law.

He gave me a warning and bid me a good day.

I couldn't thank him enough for giving me break.

I made a donation to the sheriff's fund the following week.

At the end of the day I believe most police officers are genuinely nice, especially if you are considerate and polite.

However if you become confrontational in the least bit that is going to change quickly and you are going to get shit back exponentially.

I am glad everything worked out for you Cake.

Sincerely Vic

Glad it worked out, dude with a Murci.. :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

It always seems to pay to be polite, respectful and honest.. They usually are the same way in return at that..

All the police officers up by me are great guys and stop by routinely just to check out the car. Actually played poker with one of them a little while back.. haha..

You can put up posts like this, you will not make me jealous.

Perhaps if she told the cop in a sultry voice she "has a loaded weapon on her person," would that make you jealous?

You can put up posts like this, you will not make me jealous.
if only YOU had stopped me :monkeyleft:

I forgot to mention the cop called for backup. The second officer only stayed a few minutes. I assume they figured out I wasn't a threat.

3 weeks later:

Yes howdy, this is officer bob. Do you remember me? Yeah, need to follow up on that warning. But I mean, we can go to dinner or something if that's easier for you too.

if only YOU had stopped me :monkeyleft:

I forgot to mention the cop called for backup. The second officer only stayed a few minutes. I assume they figured out I wasn't a threat.

Called for backup??? What State is this in?

I was pulled over last month and was asked for my phone number. I did not have an issue because I would like to be called if something (court date) changes, etc. Then was asked for my "place of employment". My first thought was "None of your f-ing business Gestopo assclown revenue generator". I decided that was probably not a good reply, so I just went with "Retired". : )

zwjif7.jpg

he probably completed and submitted a field interview card (or something similar to that). it's essentially for internal use. because it was an unusual stop or just not something you see everyday (a lamborghini, plus the gun) he would fill out the card to have it on record and put it out as a 'fyi' to all of the other officers - "hey, i pulled over this chick in a lambo, she had a gun, she was nice, speeding, gave her a warning"

if one day they get a call about a white lamborghini doing 120 down the interstate, they know theres one in the area and they know you drive it.

they usually do FI cards when they stop people on the streets/pull people over or talk to known suspects/troublemakers/etc. but they are not reserved solely for that reason. some agencies input the info into a database, some file them away in records, some officers keep them for their own file, and sometimes they just get posted on a bulletin.

thats my best guess.

What state? Here in GA there is no duty to inform officer law. Best course of action is to remain silent and NEVER offer any more info than is asked and then you have the right to remain silent......use it.

PA

The state of PA does not have a duty to inform officer law. Next time, remain silent. And save yourself the trouble.

I'll have to admit the phone number thing is weird although he could be testing you as he made you repeat it.

Police officers will at times quiz a person on personal and specific details and then re-ask to see if you are telling the truth or not.

Although it does not happen often I have always been very polite, co-operative and non-threatening whenever pulled over by the police.

My routine is to pull over in a safe spot well off the shoulder or roadside.

Put the vehicle in park

Lower the driver side window completely

Keep both hands visible on the steering wheel.

Depending on the conditions I may or may not choose to inform the officer that I have a loaded weapon in the vehicle. (In Georgia it is discretionary)

I had both tickets reduced to non-moving, non-point violations and paid the fines.

At the end of the day I believe most police officers are genuinely nice, especially if you are considerate and polite.

However if you become confrontational in the least bit that is going to change quickly and you are going to get shit back exponentially.

I am glad everything worked out for you Cake.

Sincerely Vic

Vic - I follow exactly the same protocol (pull over - safe spot - be polite - etc). A couple years ago I was pulled over because the local cop wanted to see the car - I was doing nothing wrong (see the thread referenced in my first post). The guy was creepy. I know I don't HAVE to tell them about my legally concealed weapon but it does raise a ton of questions, and my police friends tell me I'm better off volunteering it than remaining silent. Plus - RomanDad said it's better to say something and WHEN RD speaks I LISTEN :D!!!

Glad it worked out, dude with a Murci.. :icon_thumleft: :icon_mrgreen:

It always seems to pay to be polite, respectful and honest.. They usually are the same way in return at that..

All the police officers up by me are great guys and stop by routinely just to check out the car. Actually played poker with one of them a little while back.. haha..

LOL @ "dude with Murci :lol2:

I really don't know if they are all "good guys". I'd like to think so, but they are in a position of tremendous power which has all sorts of possibilities for abuse, and THAT is what makes me really nervous in a traffic stop or any encounter with the law (unless I'm the person calling them for help). I respect that they put themselves in danger every day to keep us safe. I wish I could feel more comfortable in a traffic stop but I never will. It's also partly about being female and being alone and isolated. There was enough traffic in this case that I didn't feel personally threatened, but in the past I've been pulled over and it's scary when you feel completely isolated. In those cases my window doesn't go all the way down until I'm positive it's a "real" police officer. I figure they should understand and a genuine cop will forgive my wanting to verify his identity when circumstances put me at a significant disadvantage.

3 weeks later:

Yes howdy, this is officer bob. Do you remember me? Yeah, need to follow up on that warning. But I mean, we can go to dinner or something if that's easier for you too.

If I get the call I will certainly be posting here!!

he probably completed and submitted a field interview card (or something similar to that). it's essentially for internal use. because it was an unusual stop or just not something you see everyday (a lamborghini, plus the gun) he would fill out the card to have it on record and put it out as a 'fyi' to all of the other officers - "hey, i pulled over this chick in a lambo, she had a gun, she was nice, speeding, gave her a warning"

if one day they get a call about a white lamborghini doing 120 down the interstate, they know theres one in the area and they know you drive it.

they usually do FI cards when they stop people on the streets/pull people over or talk to known suspects/troublemakers/etc. but they are not reserved solely for that reason. some agencies input the info into a database, some file them away in records, some officers keep them for their own file, and sometimes they just get posted on a bulletin.

thats my best guess.

I never heard of this before and it sounds plausible and might explain his asking for my phone number - which DOES appear on the computer generated warning.

The state of PA does not have a duty to inform officer law. Next time, remain silent. And save yourself the trouble.
I know I didn't have to say anything. That's why I wanted input from LP'ers. On the one hand - if everything is fine then there is no reason they need to know. On the other hand- if something happens where the stop becomes confrontational - I imagine they become much less "friendly" once they find out I'm armed. From their point of view I am a threat until the weapon is in their control - and I understand why he took it with him back to his car, and why he gave it to me unloaded, and returned the rounds separately. See my earlier comment that RD said last time (two years ago) I'm better off telling them about the weapon.

This occurred to me - but it didn't feel like he was hitting on me. He was VERY businesslike.

Take my word for it.... He was hitting on you....

Take my word for it.... He was hitting on you....
I usually have decent "radar" for this type of thing, and it REALLY didn't seem like it. I could be wrong, and I will take your word for it....but it did not AT ALL come across that way. He barely looked me in the eye.

I did zip up my jacket before I stopped because I wanted to appear "demure" and there had been a touch of cleavage before I zipped. I wasn't gonna pull any of that "hang the boobs out" crap, and didn't want to go in that direction (not that it would help in the least).

I thought filmstudent's "field report" comments might be the best explanation...

If he WAS hitting on me I guess I should be getting a call one of these days. I'll be very surprised....

Breasts can work on a cop, it just depends on the cop. My sister has some female friends who have relied on the breasts to affect cops when stopped :rolleyes: :)

I agree with always be polite. My mom got pulled over and the cop although he gave her a ticket, noted in the ticket that she was polite. Apparently a lot of people must be rude with cops. Not very smart IMO.

Breasts can work on a cop, it just depends on the cop. My sister has some female friends who have relied on the breasts to affect cops when stopped :rolleyes: :)

I agree with always be polite. My mom got pulled over and the cop although he gave her a ticket, noted in the ticket that she was polite. Apparently a lot of people must be rude with cops. Not very smart IMO.

"Ms Wheels was polite. She used her breast to affect me so she receives a written warning. 9/10 great rack" :lol2: