707HP Challenger Hellcat...

FikseSTS

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the car will be heavy, but still, 707HP!

Yeah saw the video they posted today, pretty crazy

That's just nuts. I wonder if they'll come back and bump the VIPER to like 800 next year?

Thats kind of the rumor.

Thats kind of the rumor.

I would say this might be a little counterintuitive here but:

Perhaps the Challenger needs more power than the Viper. The Challenger is a no holds barred muscle car with little pretense to do much else but be a beast in a straight line.

Compared to its peers (Camaro, Mustang) it's clearly the muscle car of that lot. It never had the handling finesse of those other two cars. With that size, it needs 700 hp. :lol2:

The Viper on the other hand, like many high end sports cars out there are bordering on having too much power. A lot of it is keeping up with the Joneses, but here that target should only be the Corvette Plastic mess-06 and nothing else (including the Hellcat).

The only other scenario I can recall like this was when the Buick Grand National had slightly more power than the Corvette in 1987. If I recall correctly, it was quicker on the strip as well. And that's not counting the GNX either which was even quicker.

Non issue, IMO.

Any ideas what it will cost?

A pulley, tune and exhaust would make it even more bonkers

Only number I've seen is $55k, but I don't think that's official and don't know if there are lots of options that aren't included. If you can get a well equipped one for $60k or less there will be a serious waiting list IMO. This is the best looking of all the retro themed muscle cars IMO and now with this engine it should do really, really well.

Only number I've seen is $55k, but I don't think that's official and don't know if there are lots of options that aren't included. If you can get a well equipped one for $60k or less there will be a serious waiting list IMO. This is the best looking of all the retro themed muscle cars IMO and now with this engine it should do really, really well.

Absolutely. A comparable GT500 or Z/28 with less horsepower doesn't do a thing for me. This just looks mean and with that engine and price point, it's going to be fun to watch how they sell and perform

Yep the ZF 8 spd or trememc 6060 (viper tranny) in the manual. The ZF is supposed to be quite nice.

Now... how long till that motor winds up in a jeep grand cherokee. :eusa_dance:

Yeah I have it on my Jeep GC, pretty decent. If that motor ends up in a Jeep GC I might just have to upgrade lol.

Absolutely. A comparable GT500 or Z/28 with less horsepower doesn't do a thing for me. This just looks mean and with that engine and price point, it's going to be fun to watch how they sell and perform

Would rather have that then the Z28 for $75,000....

It should be mentioned that the Z28, ZL1, and a good number of the Mustang variants will spank this and any other Challenger on a road course. Driving dynamics in general won't be in the same neighborhood, IMO. This would be the same argument one would make comparing the Hellcat to a POS, Viper, 911, etc.

But by the same token, nobody does pure cruiser muscle car like this Hellcat. This is the essence of what the Challenger wanted to be from the start.

This car can have 2000 hp and I dont want it...

And then there's this. :icon_mrgreen:

The pricing will dictate how people really feel about this car. $55k it's an awesome deal, but I just can't see it. I'm guessing $70-80k, maybe more. At that point, only the hardcore SRT guys stay on probably.

Yep the ZF 8 spd or trememc 6060 (viper tranny) in the manual. The ZF is supposed to be quite nice.

Don't you find it surprising they already have an 8 speed auto that can handle this much torque?

It was always an issue with those SL Benzes and even Vettes that they were limited to the 4 and 5 speed autos for the big boy motors, while the smaller engined cars could get the 6 and 7 speed box (at least for the SL, I think it's still this way).

I don't think they intend for this to be a road course car at all. If anything I bet it's setup pretty well for the drag strip from the start and that ZF Auto will be a monster.

I'm thinking $65k with the auto and it does a deep 10 at 13x off the showroom floor.

Like I said, if they drop that motor/tranny in a Jeep GC it will be hilarious. Can you imagine a stock jeep walking a GTR from the stoplight? :lol2:

I hope it sounds good. I was watching the "Bullitt" chase and then a sort of remake chase and the cars in the remake (modern Mustang and Charger) sound like a joke in comparison to the original cars: