Race car

megachad

Ok,

So I just purchased a 350z 2003 basic car. I am building a specZ race car out of it. Anyone else have experience with the specZ class. Very excited.

Just gutted the thing over the weekend. I have a long ways to go, but it is a pretty easy build.

Sourcing parts is tough. Has to be the brembo kit on the factory car.. can't even be a brembo kit new, must be brembo 350z kit.

KW suspension.

enkie rpf1 wheels

r1 tires

I can go as low as 3175lbs due to power

Cage

going with the sparco adv seat

race radiator

oil cooler

new rotors

hawk pads

post-19695-1404842563_thumb.jpg

post-19695-1404842581_thumb.jpg

post-19695-1404842605_thumb.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is awesome! I believe that the 350Z and the G35 Track Pack both used the same Brembo Brake Kit.

They did! I sourced a set for $740.. About $500 cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

Make sure the rear control arm issue is resolved with the updated suspension.

I believe the early cars had a recall on them.

But aside from that, congrats! That's going to be bad ass!

Why KW? Can you have remote reservoirs?

Also can you go mono balls and mono ball camber plates?

What pads and rotors are you going with? SRF Fluid?

Congrats on the new car!

In the Subaru/Miata world, a lot of guys buy the pads with the strongest bite and cheap rotors from autozone/orileys/etc. Let the rotors get destroyed over a couple track days and replace. I'm not sure if that's the same option in the 350Z brembo world, but it might be worth looking into.

Make sure the rear control arm issue is resolved with the updated suspension.

I believe the early cars had a recall on them.

But aside from that, congrats! That's going to be bad ass!

Thanks i'll look into it

Why KW? Can you have remote reservoirs?

Also can you go mono balls and mono ball camber plates?

What pads and rotors are you going with? SRF Fluid?

KW is the suspension they allow. that is it.. It is technically the KW made specifically for this Nissan race group.

I can do front camber upper arms because I believe they made them for the Nismo edition

SRF fluid is overkill for this really. I am going with Motul 600. Motul 300 in the gear oils and I love castrol synthetic motor oil.

Congrats! I was on the track at Miller a couple of weeks ago with a spec Z. Looked like a fun time!

It is a pretty neat group. Looks to possibly even get to 8-10 cars by next year.. Pretty good purse opportunities as well for such an inexpensive group to get into.

In for the build man! Looks like it's gonna be A LOT of fun!

Thanks.. I am going to try and video/take pics of a lot of it. I forget once I get going on something.

Congrats on the new car!

In the Subaru/Miata world, a lot of guys buy the pads with the strongest bite and cheap rotors from autozone/orileys/etc. Let the rotors get destroyed over a couple track days and replace. I'm not sure if that's the same option in the 350Z brembo world, but it might be worth looking into.

I'll have to look into it. Luckily you can win hawk pad certificates if you place in top 3.

I had an 03 years ago too. Hated the seats.

the stock suck..

SRF fluid is not over kill. For the money its worth it all day long vs the MOTUL

CASTROL SRF The SRF is the absolute best brake fluid on the market, period. If you want the best the Castrol SRF is it. Due to it's extremely high dry & wet boiling points. Dry: 310°C (590°F)

Wet: 270°C (518°F)

MOTUL RBF600 The world's best selling brake fluid. Developed for all forms and levels of racing, the RBF600 is one of the most popular fluid's on the market today. Dry: 312°C (594°F)

Wet: 216°C (421°F)

Brake pads Carbotech all day long.

Sweet! Looking forward to the build! :)

Friend of mine had a blue 2006 a few years ago. Car was a lot of fun to drive and surprised me with how well it handled.

Thanks i'll look into it

KW is the suspension they allow. that is it.. It is technically the KW made specifically for this Nissan race group.

I can do front camber upper arms because I believe they made them for the Nismo edition

SRF fluid is overkill for this really. I am going with Motul 600. Motul 300 in the gear oils and I love castrol synthetic motor oil.

That's lame only KW.....

So can you do mono ball cartridges in the stock control arms, camber, toe links etc?

I would go with SRF whether you think it'd overkill or not, change it once a year and bleed and top off before every track day call it a day. Best shit period

What hawk pads will you use? I use dtc-60's & 70's, they work great... I also use endless pads now and then

Waiting to find out what Chipster thought of the 03 seats.

Lol, the gov't building I sit at has cell blockers so sometimes I don't get anything through....or sometimes twice :)

Looks like fun. I did a similar build for PCA club racing in a 944S2 about 15 years ago. It was fun to build and then go race it. Have fun!

SRF fluid is not over kill. For the money its worth it all day long vs the MOTUL

CASTROL SRF The SRF is the absolute best brake fluid on the market, period. If you want the best the Castrol SRF is it. Due to it's extremely high dry & wet boiling points. Dry: 310°C (590°F)

Wet: 270°C (518°F)

MOTUL RBF600 The world's best selling brake fluid. Developed for all forms and levels of racing, the RBF600 is one of the most popular fluid's on the market today. Dry: 312°C (594°F)

Wet: 216°C (421°F)

Brake pads Carbotech all day long.

Don't get me wrong. I know that SRF is the complete shit.. I was tossing back and forth what to do and I have had 0 problems with the much lesser expensive Motul 600 for years.. So I am going to stick with it this time.. If I feel I need SRF I won't hesitate to go to it. I'll have to look into carbotech.

Sweet! Looking forward to the build! :)

Friend of mine had a blue 2006 a few years ago. Car was a lot of fun to drive and surprised me with how well it handled.

Thanks! Yeah, I got to drive a specz on the track that was just built and I couldn't believe it. I was at about 80% and ran a pretty strong time.. I feel with my own car and some practice I'll be running in the top time tier with the other drivers out there.

That's lame only KW.....

So can you do mono ball cartridges in the stock control arms, camber, toe links etc?

I would go with SRF whether you think it'd overkill or not, change it once a year and bleed and top off before every track day call it a day. Best shit period

What hawk pads will you use? I use dtc-60's & 70's, they work great... I also use endless pads now and then

I don't believe you can do mono ball cartridges, basically, the best you can run is Nismo stuff from the oem Z car.. that is the best other than the couple things they allow like a racing radiator that must fit in stock position.

It doesn't really suck for that fact that everyone is bound by the same rules, so It's all about the best driver wins.. They want a competitive class, not a class where the most money to throw at the car wins. I for one love being an under dog and would love if some guys are cheating with things like this.. Because then when I beat them they will really feel like a tool. :icon_thumleft:

We are doing dtc-60 front and blue rears.. because of the brake bias this seams to settle the cars more neutral.

Any video of in car man??

Lol, the gov't building I sit at has cell blockers so sometimes I don't get anything through....or sometimes twice :)

Looks like fun. I did a similar build for PCA club racing in a 944S2 about 15 years ago. It was fun to build and then go race it. Have fun!

That would be a blast. any video of you doing it? I love watching in car footage!

update on this project.

tore out suspension, brakes, radiator, a/c compressor, a/c lines and condensor.

Got KW suspension put in.

Got all fluids drained and replaced.

Waiting on all the replacement parts and the build will be finished up pretty soon. :icon_thumleft:

post-19695-1405520783_thumb.jpg

post-19695-1405520800_thumb.jpg

post-19695-1405520812_thumb.jpg

That would be a blast. any video of you doing it? I love watching in car footage!

I may in an older computer. No Go-pro's back then and I didn't want to add the extra couple of pounds that a camera may have weighed haha.

Here are a couple of shitty pics I had on my Facebook though.

2m3k001.jpg

6fo20g.jpg

Definitely look into Carbotec pads. Great guys to deal with. Give them a call, explain the purpose of the car and listen to what they have to say.

I have looked into those brakes.. I haven't heard bad, but nothing amazing. I guess they are a good price point.. I have another brake pad I am going to use after the Hawks wear out..

I can win free Hawks pads as well, so it's kind of a nice way of getting free pads.. I plan on winning if you couldn't tell. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_thumleft: