Stepping into the stock market...

Teckademics8

My brother had gotten me interested in doing some stock trading but I've never had a single minute of hands on experience. I would love to start something simple and put in a small amount to see where it could take me with my free time.

Coming from somebody who doesn't know anything about the stock market, where's the best place to start to get my foot into the door?

Thank you!

-Spencer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will take all your free time if you are trying to day trade, so I suggest you don't even step.

I'm currently reading Warren Buffet's choice read: The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. There are free PDFs all over. Next on my reading list is One Up On Wall Street by Peter Lynch.

I currently have a Scottrade account and am just starting out (on my own). Any serious investing/life savings stuff is handled by my guy at Schwab. I consider it sort of a play account.

Looks like you picked the wrong week...

Easy way to lose your $. Leave it to those that work at the big firms and play with other people's dosh.

It's pure gambling on a personal level in my opinion - by the time you read anything in the news the big players have already made their moves and you are simply gambling and hanging on their coat tails.

Easy way to lose your $. Leave it to those that work at the big firms and play with other people's dosh.

It's pure gambling on a personal level in my opinion - by the time you read anything in the news the big players have already made their moves and you are simply gambling and hanging on their coat tails.

+1

Just basically view the stock market as a voting machine. The more votes a stock gets, (buys) the higher it goes, fundamentals hardly even matter anymore. I scratch my head at some companies that are hardly worth what they are traded for, its amazing.

IPO is the only way to go.

Bad time to dive in also.

Just go to the library and get any book you can.

What level are you at? Do you know the basics of business and economy? What a stock is? Why its issued? How its issued? Different securities available? Difference between common and preferred stocks? etc.

:iamwithstupid:

The reason I never got into it and never will is because I hate gambling.

Coming from somebody who doesn't know anything about the stock market, where's the best place to start to get my foot into the door?

Factoring what you noted and like many had said here, the best place to start is elsewhere and not even try to get your foot anywhere near the door.

Getting pretty ugly... Watch the vix... When it hits a fever pitch, its time to buy the broad mkts... Look for around 20-22... I think we could get there next week.

And the rest of the comments in this thread suck...

How to learn the market... Start by picking a financial channel... Bloomburg, CNBC, Fox business... Watch the fcuking thing... if the TV is on, thats what youre watching... Its a good way to learn the lingo and the interconnected portions of the market. (I like CNBC) Thre two big indicators to really understand is the 10 year yield, and the S&P.

Your first investments should be index funds (dia, spy, qqq).

Buy low. Sell high... Time is your friend. Be patient... Ignore fear... Fear is your friend... When the rest of the world is afraid, thats your opportunity....

When the rest of the world is afraid, thats your opportunity....

Exactly. This is how you make money in the market.

• 1 month later...

Honestly if you're not going to make it your career just buy Sector or Index ETFs. Wait for decent sell off in the markets and buy an index ETF. Gives you great diversification and if the S&P 500 or something similar fails to ever recover you probably have bigger concerns then your brokerage account. You're never gonna get insane returns, but last 12 months 20%, last 5 90%+, but never buy at all time highs (given post financial crisis was one of the best entry points and 5 years ago was still the tail end of it), or don't try and call the bottom. Aim to get close enough to the end of sell offs.

• 4 weeks later...
Getting pretty ugly... Watch the vix... When it hits a fever pitch, its time to buy the broad mkts... Look for around 20-22... I think we could get there next week.

And the rest of the comments in this thread suck...

How to learn the market... Start by picking a financial channel... Bloomburg, CNBC, Fox business... Watch the fcuking thing... if the TV is on, thats what youre watching... Its a good way to learn the lingo and the interconnected portions of the market. (I like CNBC) Thre two big indicators to really understand is the 10 year yield, and the S&P.

Your first investments should be index funds (dia, spy, qqq).

Buy low. Sell high... Time is your friend. Be patient... Ignore fear... Fear is your friend... When the rest of the world is afraid, thats your opportunity....

Took two months... But today or tomorrow would be good nibbling days...

I'm on vacation and didn't bring my laptop, so I'm hosed... But I would be buying a unit of the dji a or D&B today and tomorrow...

As others have said, I would probably wait. I think the market will be in correction soon. However, I've been wrong before and with the government printing so much money and stuffing liquidity into the system -- inflation is inevitable. So who knows.

My best advice... buy stock with companies that you truly believe in and just sit on it. If the company is run well and in a good market position, on a long enough timeline you'll have good odds.

Nothing is guaranteed though.

As far as individual stocks that I own right now it is very few. Ford, Apple, Polaris and a water fund.

I'm currently shorting Harley Davidson.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm on vacation and didn't bring my laptop, so I'm hosed... But I would be buying a unit of the dji a or D&B today and tomorrow...

So. When I posted this, the Dow was at 16554. It did fall a bit lower... But yesterday, it closed at 17390. Up 800+ points from my call... 5%+ increase in three weeks.

As it was, I bought when I got back from vacation on the 15th. Almost at the bottom of the market.

So. When I posted this, the Dow was at 16554. It did fall a bit lower... But yesterday, it closed at 17390. Up 800+ points from my call... 5%+ increase in three weeks.

As it was, I bought when I got back from vacation on the 15th. Almost at the bottom of the market.

I went the dollar cost average route for a few days between the 16th to 20th. Was a good time to snap up shares in stocks that were down because of the market and not because of a business/fundamentals issue or earnings.

I went the dollar cost average route for a few days between the 16th to 20th. Was a good time to snap up shares in stocks that were down because of the market and not because of a business/fundamentals issue or earnings.

October is always volatile for stocks. The large funds do a lot of reorganizing in October to prepare for end of the year tax and distribution issues... I can show you charts in some of the thing I invest in where they just chug along at a normal price, and year after year do a straight line down in early to mid October, and then snap back just as fast....

• 2 weeks later...
October is always volatile for stocks. The large funds do a lot of reorganizing in October to prepare for end of the year tax and distribution issues... I can show you charts in some of the thing I invest in where they just chug along at a normal price, and year after year do a straight line down in early to mid October, and then snap back just as fast....

Can you send me this list? Thanks!

Im not going to send you a LIST... But heres an example.

This is a one year chart for Blackrock Kelso, one of the pvt Equity firms. Great Mngmnt, pays a sweet Div. Just chugs along without much action all year... Then takes a shit on October 1... FOR NO fcuking REASON... And its a BIG SWING... Enough to shake out stop loss orders and sheep... Then mid months it turns around... And one month later its up a buck off its low, which is a big fcuking % move.... If you bought in the panic, (like moi) you did awesome... More shares, higher yield, and a 10+% gain in price.

Untitled_1.jpg

Here's another example in the form of a 1 yr chart... I don't think I need to say anything with this as it speaks for itself...

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Vix is starting to climb back up people... at 16 now... Look for 20-25...