Who here meditates?

Rawr

I've learned Transcendental Meditation when I was 12 or so when my mom got me into it, I just never knew what it was called until I listened to Jerry Seinfeld. I wondered if everyone got the same mantra and people just got played for their cash. Also thought it was kind of useless, but now as I get older and mind goes 100 miles per hour daily I find meditation really helps. I'm still a novice but it's cool that even if I don't reach that level where mind becomes calm and things settle to their places (about 1/5 times for me) I can usually reach the "body feeling rested, or tired and ready to relax and sleep/nap" level 2/5 times. The other 2/5 times nothing happens and I get annoyed and stop.

Who here meditates, what tips would you give, how has it affected your life?

for more on TM and why Jerry Seinfeld thinks it's like "having a phone all your life, and finally getting a charger for it." check out this video:

Yes once, maybe twice a day.

It is very important to me, so much so I have a dedicated room in my apartment for it.

I go in, I take some time, it lets me unwind and unleash the stress and strains of my life.

Then I wipe, flush and spray a bit of air freshener

"Who here meditates, what tips would you give, how has it affected your life?"

I do every day usually around lunch time, dont know if its called TM but I put my self in a nice zone no matter how much stress ive had so far in the day, or what I have going on after lunch I fall asleep and relax for about 10mn....I feel it puts me in better focus for the rest of the day

It is very important to me, so much so I have a dedicated room in my apartment for it.

I go in, I take some time, it lets me unwind and unleash the stress and strains of my life.

that made me fall out of my chair i laughed so hard

I have a sacred time and perform a small ceremony everytime I eat a kebab :turboalex:

Jirre + kebab mastication + masturbation= meditation

Does falling asleep while envisioning large breasted women count?

Cap, that was a good one. :lol2:

As the video points out, the way to think of it as energy cost benefit analysis. You have depleted energy. You do something for 20 minutes, and you gain hours of energy back.

There is no way I could sit still without my brain processing something, I've tried but I can't do it, I can't switch off :(

watch the video..clearly explains how meditation will do exactly that using a punching bag metaphor. :)

watch the video..clearly explains how meditation will do exactly that using a punching bag metaphor. :)

Ok I will watch it tonight.

There is no way I could sit still without my brain processing something, I've tried but I can't do it, I can't switch off :(

Who says one need not think while meditating?

You have a natural talent for comedy Cappy.

You have a natural talent for comedy Cappy.
:iamwithstupid:

my mantra:

cappy.....want.....cappy.....want.....cappy....want....

Who says one need not think while meditating?

Isn't that the whole purpose? What's the point of it if I would still be thinking that the color of my bedroom walls doesn't exactly go with the color of the curtains and the wall paper I've selected?

Isn't that the whole purpose? What's the point of it if I would still be thinking that the color of my bedroom walls doesn't exactly go with the color of the curtains and the wall paper I've selected?

I don't mean intense thinking, I just mean relaxed thinking. Sort of dream-like. Though maybe what I mistake for meditation is occasionally sleep :D

Every time I get comfortable and meditate - I fall asleep. It's a great way to relax and get to sleep - but I've not had success meditating in the middle of the day simply for the sake of meditating (without sleeping)

I first learned meditation before a surgery. I was very scared of the surgery but had no choice. I could not take any pain meds or sleep aids in the days leading up to surgery - so I learned meditation as a way to get to sleep and to relax and calm myself when thoughts of surgery made me nervous.

It was extremely effective, and I was able to get completely away from sleep aids. It also helped control post surgery pain, and I know some hospitals offer mindfulnesss or meditation classes to help people prepare for surgery. My sister took a class in Boston before she had surgery. They offer the same classes here. My schedule didn't allow for a class so I learned from books, and the internet.

There are proven statistics that meditation can help people control pain, improve outlook, reduce hospital stays and recovery time. I am surprised that insurance doesn't cover it since ultimately it provides a better result and saves money.

The benefits are known. It's not easy to do, and I'm a beginner - but I find it useful and would like to improve my skills.

I don't know how true it is, but I had heard that when monks were burned alive, they just burned silently.

I follow the teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda (many consider him to be the Father of Yoga in the west). He gives several techniques of meditation which have worked wonders for me. The teachings are based upon the universality of all true religions. One of his books, Autobiography of a Yogi, was the book that Steve Jobs gave to everyone who attended his memorial service (planned in advance, check the video). The book changed my life when I read it the first time. No big costs to pay or anything of the sort, they have mail out lessons and you pay the cost for printing/postage.

http://yogananda-srf.org

Amazon Link to the book if anyone is interested: http://www.amazon.com/Autobiography-Self-R...raphy+of+a+yogi

51i9CIrGDLL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg