RM Countach!

Allan-Herbie

I think the 81 BB sold for 430k. A 89 TR with 90 miles sold for 220k. Time capsule car..

Correction on my end.....it was a BB/LM not a typical BB. Totally understandable those will go for over a million if the street BBs go for 300-400k.

As I am not too familiar with the Countach, what makes this one so much more expensive then say any of the members' cars here? Is it the low miles? Year? Model? all original? I know sometimes auctions get a little wacky but with the prices of these cars recently it seems to be an upward trend.

If this is indeed the series 1 LP400S, it could be the most striking looking Countach ever. The 400S, esp. the first series sat lower to the ground than succeeding CTs (if you can believe that) plus the roof is actually lower too. It's noticeable in pictures.

Also the magnesium wheels are desirable too, and I think the older style gauges are more revered.

From a value point of view, it's hard to say which is worth more the 400S or the later Quattrovalvole (QV) cars....looks versus power. The market looks to be focused more on rarity, and while there are not a ton of downdraft carbureted QV cars in the US (under 50 I think), one can still get that motor in a 25th anniversary and there's also the fuel injected version like Allan's.

I remember distinctly seeing a white 400S in the late '90s, maybe 2000 going for around $45-50k. Don't think it was the series 1 or whatever, but still.

Less than 10 years ago Countachs were under 100k in Canada.

I'm in awe of the how fast they have appreciated.

I wonder when this will happpen to the Diablos. Think we'll ever see them hit the $1 Mil mark in the next 10 years?

I'd think the SE30's will be pretty expensive.

This copper car was a non running car. RM has its own shop, they spent months trying to get it running with no luck. Everything from the clutch to the waterpump were seized.

This car should have brought a lot more if running. Even the auctioneer sounds surprised.

Goes to show, you better drive your damn cars! :)

This copper car was a non running car. RM has its own shop, they spent months trying to get it running with no luck. Everything from the clutch to the waterpump were seized.

This car should have brought a lot more if running. Even the auctioneer sounds surprised.

Goes to show, you better drive your damn cars! :)

Peter

Maybe they didn't try that hard? To get a sitting Countach running is not that hard.

If the car was to be offered as a perfectly working piece of art it might open one up for certain liabilities.

Sometimes it is just good to say that you tried. Vic

Less than 10 years ago Countachs were under 100k in Canada.

I'm in awe of the how fast they have appreciated.

I wonder when this will happpen to the Diablos. Think we'll ever see them hit the $1 Mil mark in the next 10 years?

I'd think the SE30's will be pretty expensive.

I dont think the diablo ever reached the same iconic status as the miura or the countach... Having said that, yeah, five to ten years from now we will be having a similar conversation regarding them... And certainly some of the Special Ed. diablos will skyrocket.

As I am not too familiar with the Countach, what makes this one so much more expensive then say any of the members' cars here? Is it the low miles? Year? Model? all original? I know sometimes auctions get a little wacky but with the prices of these cars recently it seems to be an upward trend.

These are earlier model years, that had lower production numbers... But, as they say, 'a rising tide lifts all boats'.

Commission at RM is 10% for both buyer and seller. Yes, the auction business is a good business to be in.

So they made $180,000 off that one sale?

Im in the wrong fcuking business...

Think they got $180,000 from buyer and seller.

$360K from that one sale.

just think about the 36 million dollar gto!

I dont think the diablo ever reached the same iconic status as the miura or the countach... Having said that, yeah, five to ten years from now we will be having a similar conversation regarding them... And certainly some of the Special Ed. diablos will skyrocket.

Diablo’s are the last of the totally crazy pre-Audi Lambos. Less than 3,000 produced versus almost 4,000 Murcielagos. Their time will come. GT’s and SE30’s will be first IMHO.

Diablo prices in the UK are already on the move.

Diablo’s are the last of the totally crazy pre-Audi Lambos. Less than 3,000 produced versus almost 4,000 Murcielagos. Their time will come. GT’s and SE30’s will be first IMHO.

Diablo prices in the UK are already on the move.

I think GT, SE and SV will be the ones to move, but if the trend of the Countach follows, 91 will be highly desired, as will the last of the line 6.0. The VTs are shit out of luck.. :eusa_dance: J/k

I think GT, SE and SV will be the ones to move, but if the trend of the Countach follows, 91 will be highly desired, as will the last of the line 6.0. The VTs are shit out of luck.. :eusa_dance: J/k

I honestly have had random thoughts about selling the car again but all this Countach stuff makes me feel like I would be plagued with regret if I did and then prices jumped!

That's the car spewing coolant everywhere..

Wrong gasket - turned out to be a non-issue. As I am sure you know, the car was sold. From what I have heard it is pretty damn nice.

Wrong gasket - turned out to be a non-issue. As I am sure you know, the car was sold. From what I have heard it is pretty damn nice.

Yes, I heard any issues are small, and relatively easy to fix...

i think that this is similar to the frenzy that we saw in the late 80s... wonder when there will be another crash?

A $300k Countach doesn't really strike me as a bubble (clearly that is the lower end of the market). Given that is 1/2 price of a new decked out Aventador, I think it is actually pretty good value.

A $300k Countach doesn't really strike me as a bubble (clearly that is the lower end of the market). Given that is 1/2 price of a new decked out Aventador, I think it is actually pretty good value.

Never said it would crash at 300k , but the pattern is familiar and as with all cycles, there is bound to be a crash or soft landing that happens... thats just history repeating itself in another guise... as to when, maybe 400K who knows?

400S1 at the auction was a late 1979 with later style wheels, it is the one to last S1 with the wheels from the successive S2

the question is why no bravos?

....probably because first owner wanted it with the "COOLEST and LATEST wheels" back then so it is original like this

so basically if we think about it, this is a late S1 with S2 rims ....so exactly the same as an early S2 car but still an S1 ...;) funny not?

the price i think had a LOT to do with the car being almost new and in a rare nice color combination

this car had no bravos and no SW small gauges so it is not the most desirable S1 in theory...but probably the lowest mile countach LP400S in the globe...so again who really knows ?

the magnesium dish wheels are commons to all S2 and S3 so are not something that makes it more expensive than others

the fact it was not running is almost irrilevant to me...i think the point of a such a low miles car is SHOW and DISPLAY...pure collector item and garage queen....if you start worcking, fixing and driving it .. you will ruin the car from a certain point of view....

today's values are 1.0-1.4 M for LP400

800-900 for S1, so we can say may be 600-700 for S2 and around 500 for S3 ? almost all countach looks to be 300k and up ...even project cars

imo we have passed the reasonable pricing for them...these prices are all over where they should be and the same goes for many other models

do not get me wrong: i LOVE the countach

i think the craziness is even worst for some Ferrari and Porsche

today's values are 1.0-1.4 M for LP400

800-900 for S1, so we can say may be 600-700 for S2 and around 500 for S3 ? almost all countach looks to be 300k and up ...even project cars

imo we have passed the reasonable pricing for them...these prices are all over where they should be and the same goes for many other models

do not get me wrong: i LOVE the countach

i think the craziness is even worst for some Ferrari and Porsche

Given they built 2000 or a bit less Countach, it only takes 2000 or a bit more people willing to ownership with crazy money to make a crazy market.

But I think the entire Exotic saga we are witnessing in an offshoot of a world awash with money with no parking spot. So a lot land in car assets. That too shall pass. The trick to riches is to time when it turns and why it will... That may last a while more.

This said, I truly believe $300K is built in the base price of a countach. Also the best sample will keep up. The projects or botched cars however, will crash back down.

They made 2042 Countachs, however to keep things in perspective.

They made 650 anniversary Countach's. The 25th edition Countach was the equivalent to 4.5 years of QV production, that's a lot.

Not to bash the 25th edition however it is truly unique in itself. So unique I would consider it a stand alone model. I know some will disagree, however this is my opinion.

The LP400 is very unique and very expensive, there is no confusing it with the Cannonball Run Countach.

When I saw my first LP400 back in 1990 I was puzzled to say the least. Where was the wing, the big tires the wheel flares? I did not recognize an LP400 as the Countach I knew.

Now how many have been destroyed over the past 25 to 40 years? 10%, 15 - 20%.

If you eliminate the 25th edition as well as the LP400 production you have 1,235 Countachs left assuming none were destroy which we know is not the case.

Take 10% off of that figure and you are left with 1,112 Countach's.

Not very many. Now how many of those are in the United States?

It is my opinion that you have fewer than 500 Countach's (less the 25 & LP400 editions) here in the USA.

You want a Countach here in the USA, you are going to pay the premium from here on out.

Just my two cents, Vic

They made 650 anniversary Countach's. The 25th edition Countach was the equivalent to 4.5 years of QV production, that's a lot.

Not to bash the 25th edition however it is truly unique in itself. So unique I would consider it a stand alone model. I know some will disagree, however this is my opinion.

I agree with this.

that is a good point and i cannot argue with that...

looks like 80% of other countach owner-buyer-fans are not much interested in the anni

and ALSO that anniversary fans really LOVE the variant and usually like it well over the older ones

same for the LP400

LP400 and anniversary can be considered almost other models...very different from the rest and more different than the other cars are btw them

this said still the market for the "regular" countach is from 400 to 900 k $ ...looks still a bit high to me considering they were 1/3 just 2-3 years ago...

i mean this rise i was aspecting but not so quick