E-Gear Paddle Extensions are ready!

Fabspeed_Motorsport

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the macarbon CF paddles and they are awesome

They look nice. Are they tight when installed? Looks like they're the best option out there right now.

We're trying to find a good median between design, durability, and costs. We personally would love them to be in Carbon, we just have to find someone who can lay the carbon well enough to meet your needs. :icon_mrgreen:

Mike, the path you're on (balancing design, durability & costs) sounds just fine to me and there will be plenty of us who will buy this in black plastic as long as you meet those goals. You can always come out with a CF version later, after you've first gotten the "easier" one produced.

The one thing we will all agree on is to JUST... GET... IT... DONE... The years of delays and number of promises or implications about the paddles being just a couple more months out, continues to reflect poorly on Fab Speed.

Mike, the path you're on (balancing design, durability & costs) sounds just fine to me and there will be plenty of us who will buy this in black plastic as long as you meet those goals. You can always come out with a CF version later, after you've first gotten the "easier" one produced.

The one thing we will all agree on is to JUST... GET... IT... DONE... The years of delays and number of promises or implications about the paddles being just a couple more months out, continues to reflect poorly on Fab Speed.

I have to agree. We really want to get this done. It's been awhile since we said we will release it and we've came up short on that end. For that we apologize. As for the good news, I personally spoke with someone yesterday who is making us a few samples to test in carbon fiber. As always I will keep you guys posted before anyone else!

I have to agree. We really want to get this done. It's been awhile since we said we will release it and we've came up short on that end. For that we apologize. As for the good news, I personally spoke with someone yesterday who is making us a few samples to test in carbon fiber. As always I will keep you guys posted before anyone else!

Well mike,

If you meet all the design objectives,count me in for a set notifying me when they are done.

D

• 2 weeks later...

I have an UPDATE! :o

Some samples have come in of what the final product will look like. so, we have looked over the design and tested the durability on our owners Gallardo. We are completely happy with how comfortable and well it works. Now we are just waiting on the final product which will be here at the end of next week. Which is when I'll hopefully have pictures of the final product for you guys after this long arduous wait!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Count me in for one set!!!!!!!

Love it!!!!!

Now I will be able stop missing my shifts!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

TeamOrangeCrush,

I want them but they don't look very good quality for the money.

I'd rather have carbon fiber and have them extend down, and cover the silly opening in the back as they don't look clean with this design.

• 2 months later...

$495 (even $395) is ridiculous for two pieces of plastic. No way could it be cost of "engineering." Jewelers can make exquisite, complicated rings from scratch in less than a day which includes waxing, creating molds, pouring, finishing, etc. I would love to have a set but anything over $100 is absurd!

I want them but they don't look very good quality for the money.

I'd rather have carbon fiber and have them extend down, and cover the silly opening in the back as they don't look clean with this design.

$495 (even $395) is ridiculous for two pieces of plastic. No way could it be cost of "engineering." Jewelers can make exquisite, complicated rings from scratch in less than a day which includes waxing, creating molds, pouring, finishing, etc. I would love to have a set but anything over $100 is absurd!

I don't think you understand how engineering or mass production works.

That being said this whole project has been a disaster from the beginning.

I'll admit that I bought a set.

I feel I had little choice in the matter. I hate the stock paddles; they are simply too small and there are times when driving through curves that I had to think about or try to find the stock paddles rather than focus on my driving, and that's bad. There are only 2 choices for aftermarket paddles, these, and the MaCarbon horns which are carbon fiber and even more expensive. I have zero carbon fiber in my interior, so buying them in carbon and paying even more money to boot left me with the Fabspeed paddles as my only "choice".

Here are my basic thoughts on them, in no particular order.

1) The Cerakote texture is too rough. It's like very fine grit sandpaper. You can argue that it allows better traction, I would say it's simply a distraction, it calls attention to your fingertips, and that you don't really need finger traction on paddles for the way you actually use them. The factory seems to agree or they wouldn't have made the stock paddles glossy. Some edges up near the top are a little thin (on top of being rough) which also detracts from the feel.

2) The size is helpful, the fit is good. Yes, you will notice the difference from the increased size. One pleasant surprise was how they fit over the stock paddles. I was expecting that I'd worry about them somehow popping off etc, but the way the clips work with the stock paddles make them very secure, there is no need to do anything other than slide them on.

3) These really are over-priced, and they are likely to leave a bad taste if you purchase them. I'm a capitalist with a background in business. Fabspeed is attempting to fill a need that otherwise would not be addressed; no one else is making paddles (except for the ol' MaCarbon horns). In that regard Fabspeed should be commended for making a very niche product. And no one is forcing anyone to buy these paddles, so you can vote with your dollars on whether you want the product for this cost, or you don't. There are no misrepresentations about the product and they are holding up fine. I knew up-front they were over-priced, so I do not "blame" Fabspeed. I chose to buy them, the responsibility is 100% mine.

That said, these things feel cheap as heck. Yes, we are paying for the fact that Fabspeed was very time-inefficient in developing these and has decided that they'll make $$ back by raising the price to compensate for both the time they put in, and the lower volume they'll get in sales (vs. a more mass-market car). And they know Lambo owners have larger wallets.

Bottom line for me, they feel like $125 (retail, mass-market) paddles that I could pay $275 for and still be ok with given the need they fill & that I'm supporting a niche product. At just under $500 and a texture that keeps making me take note of them when I drive, well... While I'd still have to "do it all again" because there simply is no other choice if you need something better than stock... It pisses me off that I paid that much for them. And when Fabspeed was nice enough to call me up weeks later and ask how I was enjoying the paddles, I didn't hold back and I let them know that they were way over-priced and that I wasn't happy at all due to the cost.

Well said SpyderBite! I cannot believe $500 regardless if I am wealthy or not. There is principle involved. This is no different than what companies charge for skid plates. Two pieces of plastic...$400. Shameful!

I'll admit that I bought a set.

I feel I had little choice in the matter. I hate the stock paddles; they are simply too small and there are times when driving through curves that I had to think about or try to find the stock paddles rather than focus on my driving, and that's bad. There are only 2 choices for aftermarket paddles, these, and the MaCarbon horns which are carbon fiber and even more expensive. I have zero carbon fiber in my interior, so buying them in carbon and paying even more money to boot left me with the Fabspeed paddles as my only "choice".

Here are my basic thoughts on them, in no particular order.

1) The Cerakote texture is too rough. It's like very fine grit sandpaper. You can argue that it allows better traction, I would say it's simply a distraction, it calls attention to your fingertips, and that you don't really need finger traction on paddles for the way you actually use them. The factory seems to agree or they wouldn't have made the stock paddles glossy. Some edges up near the top are a little thin (on top of being rough) which also detracts from the feel.

2) The size is helpful, the fit is good. Yes, you will notice the difference from the increased size. One pleasant surprise was how they fit over the stock paddles. I was expecting that I'd worry about them somehow popping off etc, but the way the clips work with the stock paddles make them very secure, there is no need to do anything other than slide them on.

3) These really are over-priced, and they are likely to leave a bad taste if you purchase them. I'm a capitalist with a background in business. Fabspeed is attempting to fill a need that otherwise would not be addressed; no one else is making paddles (except for the ol' MaCarbon horns). In that regard Fabspeed should be commended for making a very niche product. And no one is forcing anyone to buy these paddles, so you can vote with your dollars on whether you want the product for this cost, or you don't. There are no misrepresentations about the product and they are holding up fine. I knew up-front they were over-priced, so I do not "blame" Fabspeed. I chose to buy them, the responsibility is 100% mine.

That said, these things feel cheap as heck. Yes, we are paying for the fact that Fabspeed was very time-inefficient in developing these and has decided that they'll make $$ back by raising the price to compensate for both the time they put in, and the lower volume they'll get in sales (vs. a more mass-market car). And they know Lambo owners have larger wallets.

Bottom line for me, they feel like $125 (retail, mass-market) paddles that I could pay $275 for and still be ok with given the need they fill & that I'm supporting a niche product. At just under $500 and a texture that keeps making me take note of them when I drive, well... While I'd still have to "do it all again" because there simply is no other choice if you need something better than stock... It pisses me off that I paid that much for them. And when Fabspeed was nice enough to call me up weeks later and ask how I was enjoying the paddles, I didn't hold back and I let them know that they were way over-priced and that I wasn't happy at all due to the cost.

I was pretty disappointed after all the time and effort I put into giving them free advice to help them not make a crappy product.

It took forever, has a crazy price, is of sub-standard quality, just ok design and not even a group buy or discount for the people who helped them.

Two thumbs down.