Coming Soon: Oakley Huracan

beddu

So guys, wanted to let you in on a project.

As you know, renders of their proposed Huracan had long been produced on the interwebs, but whilst some components and ideas were already developed, they struggled to obtain a development vehicle. Until now..

IMG_20140914_WA0035.jpg

At the discretion of the owner, a friend of mine, I will not reveal too many details, but I'll say that I've recently been appointed by Oakley Design as his Middle Eastern agent, and we will shortly, hopefully, be fully established. As I currently work at a Middle Eastern Lamborghini importer, there were some interesting quirks I learnt of and gave feedback to them which they'll provide interesting fixes for (anyone else have the front hydraulic wishbone bushes explode for example?). I will post updates as they come. For now, some baselines:

Weight - 1422kg dry quoted by Lamborghini?

IMG_20140915_WA0014.jpg

Nah. This is with close to no petrol in the tank, and no driver.

Dyno figures on a cloudy British day on a Mustang:

IMG_20140914_WA0030.jpg

And how it is now:

IMG_20140915_WA0007.jpg

Keep following, it's going to be special..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also admins, please let me know if i'm breaching any seller policies - I'm merely repeating Oakley Designs' development of their Huracan components, as they do their own direct marketing

So, following on..

IMG_20140918_WA0034.jpg

IMG_20140918_WA0035.jpg

Strip-down continuing unabated, down to the muffler. The previous picture showed the new Prototype Titanium muffler, weighing in at 12kg replete with titanium bi-modal valves. The stocker?

IMG_20140918_WA0040.jpg

38KG. That's 26KG saving from the extreme rear of the vehicle. Interesting tidbit, the plastic rear diffuser? It clocks in at 18kg!! So, watch that space..

So, following on..

IMG_20140918_WA0034.jpg

IMG_20140918_WA0035.jpg

Strip-down continuing unabated, down to the muffler. The previous picture showed the new Prototype Titanium muffler, weighing in at 12kg replete with titanium bi-modal valves. The stocker?

IMG_20140918_WA0040.jpg

38KG. That's 26KG saving from the extreme rear of the vehicle. Interesting tidbit, the plastic rear diffuser? It clocks in at 18kg!! So, watch that space..

What the heck did they do to a perfectly good Huracan!

I'm ready to cry... :crybaby2:

But, seriously, interesting thread. Huracan being put on Weight Watchers diet.

Weight saving might be a huge benefit, if safety of removal of certain parts is being taken under consideration.

very low numbers from that Mustang dyno..... weight is as expected.....

I was thinking the same thing. Do you really think there is a 27% loss to the wheels? That seems REALLY high.

Keep in mind it's a very fresh engine - would've had less than 300mi when it was on the dyno. Using the Gallardo loss figures that figured about 585HP "crank" but Jon's waiting for more Huracan dyno figures to filter in, he didn't run the drag test to get wheel loss figure, what's jotted on paper are estimates. Do note though, the car was run those 300mi on crappy Saudi 95 Octane fuel that's equal parts dust:petrol, he had drained that and put in a quick splash of I think 98 Octane just for the dyno run - the car was literally offloaded from the plane from Saudi and straight to the dyno. Quick things he did note, muffler is almost identical to 2014 R8, front differential identical to Gallardo, and front hubs shared with Aventador (keep note of this one..)

The weight was extremely surprising, but Oakley even found in past the Aventador Roadster to weigh in at 1746kg wet, instead of the quoted 1625kg dry from Lamborghini. Unless the car has a huge capacity for oil and coolant and whatnot..

This customer took the weight to heart, and there may be some interesting developments being carried out. I guess it is a shame to see the first customer car in Saudi (yep!) being straight away shipped out and stripped naked, but I guess it shows dedication. Keep in mind Oakley is a Pirelli test driver, so he's had experience of the car prior to launch and knows what to work on.

Safety is paramount, he won't even reupholster airbag covers, or touch anything remotely related to sensitive wiring areas. However, he noticed the front crash beam was steel rather than aluminium as is typical..

So, this happened about 20 minutes ago:

IMG_20140924_WA0016.jpg

IMG_20140924_WA0015.jpg

IMG_20140924_WA0018.jpg

IMG_20140924_WA0019.jpg

Oh, and the muffler came out slightly lighter than planned!

IMG_20140924_WA0022.jpg

That's now 28.5kg weight saving from the exhaust alone, WITH bi-modal valves!

Before:

DSC_0295.JPG

And the after ^_^:

IMG_20140929_WA0030.jpg

IMG_20140930_WA0007.jpg

IMG_20140930_WA0012.jpg

Apologies for the heartache in seeing this. Can you guess what's happening? Note, there'll be some interesting measurements soon from this as well..

Also, these are in the process too:

IMG_20140925_WA0028x.jpg

More soon

Carbon fibre?

*Cough*

^_^

Plus they're getting some things weighed - as this car is the first, it's also getting some bespoke touches. Quick question - the glass engine bonnet and forged carbon engine bay panel set has been delayed until further notice for all our cars, how about stateside? I also saw this from their engine tuner's instagram page of the same car:

Screenshot_2014_09_29_09_20_42.png

• 3 weeks later...

Pardon the lack of updates - it's been a bit manic, just got back from the UK where I spent some time with Oakley. Unfortunately not much interesting or available to show as everything is still a work in progress and some sensitive items, what I can send is this though:

lamborghini_wheel_comparison.jpg

Yes, it's only a render, but this is what the customer is getting done for his specific car.

For progress as a whole, pretty much ALL molds are now complete and ready to be laid with prepreg. Parts are also due to trickle in, and assembly will come together with some interesting developments too. All design is finished, and it'll look and perform pretty special..

• 2 weeks later...

So,

IMG_20141025_WA0016.jpg

Anyone want to guess what that component is? Still needs finishing, but, suffice it to say some good weight savings from it ^_^

A lot more to come, everything is starting to come together now!

Another prominent component done.

IMG_20141028_WA0032x.jpg

Let's just say it's a bit more aesthetic in nature, and adds some weight. About 1kg ^_^

This is such a tease even for me!