The Architecture thread

capt_chaos

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some very nice elements, I really like the kitchen and the mosaic work, can you explain something to me? Why are you guys so in love with gravel on the driveways? Can't think of anything worse.

What's the ask?

They want £4.5m. Nice but not that nice. The other issue for me is the energy bill for that house will draw a lot of energy (for a new build) because of its location. It is on the east of a steep hill. Gets in shadow of a hill quick, so that is why they have so many light fittings and that roof garden.

Location is key.

I am saying all of this to haggle on the price. ;)

not far away from where my folks live outside Eastbourne, lovely part of the world, not seen many places like that before on the South Coast.

must've been really confusing to construct that..

1299418_6.jpg

1299418_18.jpg

just curious why would anyone go thru all that work to build something but can't fit the lights in order? I have a friend's house with the same thing..the ceiling lights were all over the place. Almost seemed like you blind fold someone and ask him to point at the ceiling randomly and that's where they'll fit the lights.

Alot of times there something above the celing where a good lighting layout would be. And also alot of times the interior designer thinks that the off balance look is fabulous. All I know is it's a total pain in the balls to wire homes like that lol they are cool projects but some of it you really have to wonder about.

Generally lights get fitted above sections or things you want lit up on the ground for various reason, in ceiling symmetry isn't always what you are after unless you are trying to evenly spread the light, I know it suck if you are OCD :icon_mrgreen:

I see why now...but still not a good enough reason for the lights to be all over the place..that would be a no-no for me. :icon_mrgreen:

not far away from where my folks live outside Eastbourne, lovely part of the world, not seen many places like that before on the South Coast.

Small(ish) world. There are few places built or have been built recently that are embracing modern building concepts.

Eastbourne not so much though. :icon_mrgreen:

I cannot get into either of those last two posted houses. Two many issues that just feel way off to me. The last one hovering over a mosquito pond is not my idea of paradise.

I think it is awful but all the concrete made me think of Fortis. Definitely not my style.

This is what I like:

This

And This

Nice.

And Wheels would definitely approve. :icon_mrgreen:

I think it is awful but all the concrete made me think of Fortis. Definitely not my style.

This is what I like:

This

And This

What would you call that style, it seems to be popular in the States.

The house in the 2nd link I could deal with the one in the 1st one please kill me now :lol2:

Sorry :(

This is what I like:

This

And This

I always knew for the most part (excluding LA, NY & MIA etc) that property in the US is cheap, but OMG houses are cheap in the USA. for $3.5m you couldn't even build part of that Georia house here in Australia, let alone the price of the land.

I'm with fortis, the ornate / victorian type of interiors make me feel like running away and giving my eyes a rest.

I always knew for the most part (excluding LA, NY & MIA etc) that property in the US is cheap, but OMG houses are cheap in the USA. for $3.5m you couldn't even build part of that Georia house here in Australia, let alone the price of the land.

I'm with fortis, the ornate / victorian type of interiors make me feel like running away and giving my eyes a rest.

I agree, we are getting pillaged, how can you even build that let alone buy the land for those figures? Time to move :headbang:

It's all location. In other parts of the US that place would be $20m.

It's all location. In other parts of the US that place would be $20m.

Oh i get that, i mean more from the perspective of even constructing the residence.

with labourers costing $50 an hour here and most trades $80-$100 an hour, and the "Australia Tax" on the materials simply the construction of the dwelling is the bit that blows my mind.

If those houses were in my area they would be $10mm+

It's ok Fortis! Just personal taste

I know, that's the beauty of it :icon_thumleft:

Compared to Europe, Japan, and I'd imagine the populated parts of Australia (the coasts), the U.S. has a significantly lower population density, so the average American is able to afford lots more land then the average European, Japanese, etc...one thing I do not like about many of the modern luxury homes is those double staircases at you when you open the door. I mean it's like EVERY. SINGLE. HOME. has those. I like a more traditional-looking staircase, something like this:

victorian-architecture-staircase-carson-manson-3876ee9.jpg

I also don't like the open design of many of those homes, where it's like there are no separate rooms. I mean don't get me wrong, nice open areas are nice, but I also like areas that can be private.