The Architecture thread

capt_chaos

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll take it. Wood is a beautiful material to work with. We still have high rises here in Chicago with no sprinkler systems. Up until recently, the 96 floor John Hancock building had no sprinklers in it and the retrofit installation is still ongoing.

I'll take it. Wood is a beautiful material to work with. We still have high rises here in Chicago with no sprinkler systems. Up until recently, the 96 floor John Hancock building had no sprinklers in it and the retrofit installation is still ongoing.

I remember when NYC instituted a local law back in 2004 to get all existing high rises with sprinklers by 2019. Felt like such a long time away, and I imagine there will be some extensions. It's just hard to retrofit when you need pumps, storage tanks, etc.

Yeah, nothing new high rise is getting built without sprinklers and you're definitely going to want that extra level of protection as we've seen in London lately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That looks cool but I am way too lazy for that.

I just leased a building to Tormax they will help me with some of the crazy automated doors ideas I have for my next house when it's time to build the next one.

quick question.. is it worth spending the extra money on a 100% concrete structure vs wood floor trusses and a wood roof truss system?

this is all new to me.. I was told go all concrete if possible.

Concrete floor is amazing. So stiff and quiet below. Much more difficult to move plumbing around, however.

No idea on ceiling/truss.

quick question.. is it worth spending the extra money on a 100% concrete structure vs wood floor trusses and a wood roof truss system?

Each has its own pros & cons. It highly depends on application and location. Too many variables to provide a fair answer.

I wouldn't have anything else but suspended concrete floors in my house, imagine people running around upstairs and you hearing all of the drumming downstairs, it would make my head explode :icon_mrgreen:

Get the build thread going my friend :icon_thumleft:

Concrete floor is amazing. So stiff and quiet below. Much more difficult to move plumbing around, however.

No idea on ceiling/truss.

If the intention is to access plumbing work for future works or if serviceability access is a concern I'd drop the ceiling or create bulkheads to allow the pipes to be installed underneath the upper floor, with one caveat, I'd wrap them all in order to soundproof them.

All concrete would your best bet here in South Florida with potential threat of Hurricanes

That and if you ever plan on having a family one day, and end up with a small herd of boys, youll thank god. My house sounds like the fcuking stampede from Jumanji is coming through when my 7 year old starts running around. God help me when the baby joins him.....

hahaha you guys are funny. ok sounds like all concrete is the way to go especially on the coast.

thanks bros... build thread soon to come. have to decide on builder first lol

Going with builders/contractors generically is often the tail wagging the dog.

A good A/E firm will have all the answers you need and provide you with the flexibility you want, plus provide accountability for getting something built the way it's supposed to. At the very least a 3rd party to the process.

The more exotic the project, the more it makes sense to spend more on the soft costs.

Going with builders/contractors generically is often the tail wagging the dog.

A good A/E firm will have all the answers you need and provide you with the flexibility you want, plus provide accountability for getting something built the way it's supposed to. At the very least a 3rd party to the process.

The more exotic the project, the more it makes sense to spend more on the soft costs.

great info! TY

Coastal an all concrete structure will be awesome. 2nd floor, definitely pour some lightweight concrete to keep the sound down.

Are you hiring a GC, design build firm? or doing this as owner/builder?

Most new stuff is built with the plumbing out of the slab as much as possible these days, safe for the kitchen island and a few necessary spots. If you stay away from a post-tension slab, moving plumbing in the future isn't a *massive* ordeal. It's a mess, but in that circumstance, you're already up to your eyeballs in mess anyway.

Coastal an all concrete structure will be awesome. 2nd floor, definitely pour some lightweight concrete to keep the sound down.

Are you hiring a GC, design build firm? or doing this as owner/builder?

Most new stuff is built with the plumbing out of the slab as much as possible these days, safe for the kitchen island and a few necessary spots. If you stay away from a post-tension slab, moving plumbing in the future isn't a *massive* ordeal. It's a mess, but in that circumstance, you're already up to your eyeballs in mess anyway.

it looks like I'm going with a father/son team, builder & architect under one roof which I like.

it looks like I'm going with a father/son team, builder & architect under one roof which I like.

Make sure they have done projects similar to what you are planning ie concrete structure vs stick frame. You do not want someone trying to build something new to them for the first time on your dime. Someone who has earned some scar tissue over the years building concrete homes will be far better suited to guide you down the right path so the only considerations you have to think about are how many cars do you want to fit in the garage and finishes.

make sure there are clear liability agreements in place, between all parties, even if under the same roof, its been my experience that architects love to spend your money at the drop of a hat..good luck!

you guys are awesome! great points.

they have built and are building some sick homes. ill post pics asap.

ill have my RE attorney draw up the contracts and out line this.

thanks!