Auto Insurance with new teen driver added.

Jagata

I just received some sticker shock on my auto insurance policy, my teen age daughter is now driving and our policy went up like 4X as much. The ins co. says it's because she has to be added to all the cars on the policy including Lambo, S6, Benz even though we said she does not get to drive those cars. Is their any companies that will only insure a teen age driver only on certain family cars we assign? I feel like it's a total rip off with this pricing practice.

Put one car in her name and setup her own policy. You won't be able to drive her car and she can't drive yours, but it will be quite a bit less expensive.

This is the only way to go once she is 18, as it limits your liability exposure if she gets in an accident.

At least that's how it was for me and my parents, which wasn't that long ago.

Put one car in her name and setup her own policy.

I thought you had to be 18 years old to legally have a vehicle under your name? My daughter just turned 16.

That's preposterous. There are companies that will allow you to exclude people in the household from certain vehicles.

Right? That's what I was thinking as well, but wasn't sure.

I thought you had to be 18 years old to legally have a vehicle under your name? My daughter just turned 16.

That was never the case when I was a teen, 10+ years ago. But I also live in a red state.

Not that I'm aware of.

I agree it sounds like a racket, you should be able to exclude a 16yr old from your fcuking LP640 lol. Yeah, she's not driving that one to her friends house for a study group. :lol2:

I have State Farm and they excluded my sons from my Lambos. Never was an issue, they are on my policy but listed as a dedicated driver on their cars only.

They did that simply to raise your premiums and raise their profitability on your policy. You can exclude her from the other cars in the house, no doubt. I would agree with Emanon though, I would put the car in her name to reduce liability if something goes wrong. Get her a dedicated policy.

I have Allstate and my son was only on his own car when he lived at home and now my 17 y.o. daughter is on her own car as well. No issue.

Playing devils advocate here, but say you manage to get her excluded from driving certain cars

What if this happens? Would your insurance cover the car as an uninsured motorist? If so would she be charged with car theft?