Mannheim Request

AzExoticLover

I had that silver car down to 153, but decided to wait more. I LOVE the options but hate silver/minor carfax. I think they will drop another 5% in the next 5 months and 10% in another year when all the 2012's are out of warranty. Unfortunately 15K makes a difference for me so i will try to wait it out a tad longer. My goal is to get a good color with low miles for 155ish by april... If I'm wrong then i suck it up and raise the budget and get a car. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had that silver car down to 153, but decided to wait more. I LOVE the options but hate silver/minor carfax. I think they will drop another 5% in the next 5 months and 10% in another year when all the 2012's are out of warranty. Unfortunately 15K makes a difference for me so i will try to wait it out a tad longer. My goal is to get a good color with low miles for 155ish by april... If I'm wrong then i suck it up and raise the budget and get a car. :)

There was an orange MP4 - 12C went for $121,000. Boy do they depreciate FAST!

There was an orange MP4 - 12C went for $121,000. Boy do they depreciate FAST!

Link?

If the spyder wasn't already awesome with roof up as well, I would have one of each by now. I wouldn't want to own one without a warranty though, so I think extended is a must.

If the 2 other orange cars that sold within days of the $121k one went for $160k+, the $121k one must have been a real piece of shit. Maybe it was wrecked.

The Mclaren dealer is right by my house.. The same cars (650S) sitting for months.. I think the bottom is not even close yet, and it will be pretty scarey to own one of these cars out of warranty..

The Mclaren dealer is right by my house.. The same cars (650S) sitting for months.. I think the bottom is not even close yet, and it will be pretty scarey to own one of these cars out of warranty..

they have a new warranty extension program for cars

that were previously bought from a McLaren dealership.

Plus these cars are very reliable and require little

maintenance.

they have a new warranty extension program for cars

that were previously bought from a McLaren dealership.

Plus these cars are very reliable and require little

maintenance.

:iamwithstupid: I think the 650's will pretty much hold for a while and the 12c's have bottomed out and are a great buy! IMO

the biggest discount ive heard of is 10k off msrp with a pretty much loaded 650S.

If the 2 other orange cars that sold within days of the $121k one went for $160k+, the $121k one must have been a real piece of shit. Maybe it was wrecked.

Not necessarily, auction condition reports can be all over the place and not always indicative of how a vehicle actually shows. Auction cars totally depend on who is watching the sale that day. Mileage plays a pretty big factor as well. There is a 2012 MP4 available right now wholesale for $148K with a tiny bit higher mileage than the one that sold for $121K. Of course, this is wholesale and not retail, no warranties/customer service levels are different etc. At this price level, I personally think there are tons of advantages buying retail vs. wholesale.

Some quick searching and I found a pic of the orange one that sold for 121K

AIqM2LV.jpg

Why are they taking such a hit on the deprecation more so than a Lambo or Ferrari?

Why are they taking such a hit on the deprecation more so than a Lambo or Ferrari?

I'm surprised also since they are A MUCH BETTER car

I'm surprised also since they are A MUCH BETTER car

:iamwithstupid: :lol2:

I think they are a bargain now for buyers. I also think 1st year 12c model had some

glitches that they had to work out. im sure this hurt resale

:iamwithstupid: :lol2:

I think they are a bargain now for buyers. I also think 1st year 12c model had some

glitches that they had to work out. im sure this hurt resale

The 2013 model in the $180k range is the car to buy for sure if one is looking for value...

Agree 100%. I feel like the depreciation on those Mclarens are outpacing their performance. The same cars are sitting in the Miller Motors for more than a year.

I am guessing many were excited to buy them before and immediately after release but when they got the car it wasn't what they expected, there is more to an exotic than just outright performance, it needs to have some character, a certain aura , combined that with the glitches associated with a new model/first year production and many dropped them, that caused an oversupply of the used car market and brought the values down significantly.

Locally , when the dealer couldn't move them they dropped $100k off the new car price, the used car market (very small) got killed, the market will take a while to regulate itself.

I can't see the newer cars, 650S, drop to the level of the 12C but you never know, when Ferrari comes out with the 458 replacement, Lambo with the Huracan Spyder the buyers will be even harder to get hold of, this segment of the exotic car market is the toughest.

McLaren can only learn from this and hopefully improved their product further in order to capture the attention of those who aren't that interested at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
I am guessing many were excited to buy them before and immediately after release but when they got the car it wasn't what they expected, there is more to an exotic than just outright performance, it needs to have some character, a certain aura , combined that with the glitches associated with a new model/first year production and many dropped them, that caused an oversupply of the used car market and brought the values down significantly.

Locally , when the dealer couldn't move them they dropped $100k off the new car price, the used car market (very small) got killed, the market will take a while to regulate itself.

I can't see the newer cars, 650S, drop to the level of the 12C but you never know, when Ferrari comes out with the 458 replacement, Lambo with the Huracan Spyder the buyers will be even harder to get hold of, this segment of the exotic car market is the toughest.

McLaren can only learn from this and hopefully improved their product further in order to capture the attention of those who aren't that interested at the moment.

interesting discussion ( mclaren annual service ) on how Mclaren screws their own customers by over charging when you bring your Mclaren in for service. No wonder the values on these Mclaren keep dropping. Talk about getting raped by the dealerships. Meanwhile the cheapest MP4 went through the auction for $121,000. I am seeing the same Mclaren inventories in front of Miller Motorcars all the time and it makes people wonder if they are selling their cars at all. A friend of mine only got $185,000 trade in value for his 2014 MP4 - 12C CONVERTIBLE, no wonder they are only asking $220,000 for a 2014 MP4 - 12C Spyder.

2014_11_09_07_49_46.png

What are the rough service costs? Figured most stuff would be warrantied

it is. first year service about 1300 2and year service $3800.

They are great on warranty replacement no hassles

They are introduction a sub range to the 650S called the Sports Series, I believe, I wonder what effect will that have on used car prices since the Sports Series will be considerably cheaper new with a very insignificant reduction in performance.

IMO McLaren should've gone initially after the 911 market, that's where they are aiming the Sports Series at and after the Aventador market, there is still some room there, there is no direct competitor for the Aventador.

Like many other things, it likely has to do with plenty of marketing & politics. I do not know the markets well enough elsewhere but in Canada and in a few places in SE Asia, Mac's dealerships aren't exactly the stellar ones. They are big enough & financially capable but the creme de la creme dealers already have Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Porsche's & Aston Martin's etc... The top dealers would not risk an already successful and stable brand by introducing yet another brand to which its road cars are in their infancy. So the Mac gets passed onto the next tier of dealers that lack the marketing and support techniques. That's the first blow.

The second blow reminds me of something that Hollywood had done a few years ago: they made a photo composite of a woman using what were termed by majority as "perfect body parts" from various A-listed actresses; i.e. the eyes of star A, nose of star B, lips of star C etc...; the end result was Meh at best. I think Mac suffers the same here: bit by bit, it's spectacular as augmented by the performance figures. Even the styling, when viewed at certain perspective individually seems refreshing and stylish. But when put together as a whole, it really is underwhelming. And when Mac does get it right, as in the P1, it's a 7-figure price and in limited supply for the privileged few only.

Dealership needs to be profitable to survive. When the product at this price level does not stir the potential buyer's soul, trouble is ensured and the only way to move the product is to lower the price and try to recuperate loss as much as possible. The majority of buyers in this segment are financially sound and market astute and most likely have good taste as well. Aside from the simple desire of trying a Mac out because they can and perhaps they just wanted something different, why would they want to hop on a boat that doesn't really have the best crew to sail into uncharted territory.