F1 Driver Jules Bianchi seriously injured

Fortitude

Def a big mistake on the flag corner.. I only hope the driver can be alright, but it seems very very improbable.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the flags were ok. That station is to state the condition after that point and where drivers can accelerate back to speed.

My thought is that he may have actually let off for yellow too much which caused a loss of downforce and eventual crash.

I think the flags were ok. That station is to state the condition after that point and where drivers can accelerate back to speed.

Yeah that's how I would interpret it too..

It does seem a little odd to see the guy continue to wave the green flag but a) perhaps he was in shock and just in auto-pilot mode and b ) do marshalls even have the authority to reg flag a race of their own volition?

In hindsight a lot of things could have been done differently but we've seen this sort of occurrence many times over the years with no serious consequences.... just a very unfortunate accident.

Saying that - those marshalls were extremely fortunate.

Absolutely horrendous crash, it's a miracle we are not talking about a death.

My thought is that he may have actually let off for yellow too much which caused a loss of downforce and eventual crash.

i thought the same thing on the downforce issue, but the driver def didn't slow down in the previous corner like he should have then if the double yellow's were flying.

I'd say that is still a very real possibility unfortunately.

All I can think of is Why not portable cranes like they use at Monaco?

I know they are limited to how they can change the run offs at the track due to the location but still there must be room to use the big cranes?

http://en.espnf1.com/japan/motorsport/story/178509.html

Jules Bianchi's family has confirmed the Marussia driver suffered a "diffuse axonal injury" after his crash at the Japanese Grand Prix and remains in a critical but stable condition.

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/japan/motorsport/stor...cSkJBpgXWQoa.99

And my father, 40+ year Neurosurgeon, avid F1 fan, comments

DAI is a somewhat broad category of injuries. Can be recoverable to normal and some patients remain comatose. So a very broad range of possibilities. The term itself describes a type of injury that is spread throughout the brain without being a specific region or center of involvement. Usually the deeper structures of the brain are more involved. Best seen on MRI. Lots of time to see if recovery will occur.

Godspeed Bianchi.

Yeah that's how I would interpret it too..

It does seem a little odd to see the guy continue to wave the green flag but a) perhaps he was in shock and just in auto-pilot mode and b ) do marshalls even have the authority to reg flag a race of their own volition?

In hindsight a lot of things could have been done differently but we've seen this sort of occurrence many times over the years with no serious consequences.... just a very unfortunate accident.

Saying that - those marshalls were extremely fortunate.

As I have learned, the marshall did everything correct:

"The man was waving double yellow flags when Sutil originally crashed, as instructed by race control. Once the tractor lifted the Sauber, it began to move back towards the opening in the wall. Once it moved past the marshal post, he immediately switched to a green flag, as per the regulations." Source

So since Bianchi then crashed before the post, he kept waving green since the track technically was clear after that point. With all the safety regulations in F1, you'd think they have buffer zone, especially under those conditions...

Knowing that corner was a high speed run off area, a crane behind the barrier, instead of a tractor should have been placed to recover vehicles.

Drivers are supposed to drive under yellow flags at least 0,5sec slover than normally would from flag post to next, there are about 20 flag posts at the track. So doing 200 instead of 225 does not matter much when you start to aquaplane... He should of had driven much slower ofcourse but racing drivers want to be efficient even under double yellow flags..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope he makes a full recovery too but he is still critical. Sounds like he is still in a coma, just not a medically induced one. I have seen some amazing recoveries. Hope Jules is one of them.