test drove the new S550 coupe today

cake

Took the S550 coupe out for a couple hours today.

Hubby loved it. I thought it was okay but probably wouldn't rush to order one.

Pros:

- handling is WAY improved over our 2011 CL550 - much tighter in comfort mode and REALLY sporty in sport mode

- Interior is very nice

- seats are super comfy

- sunroof is HUGE (ours had a regular electronically operated cover but they offer an option called Magic Sky where the glass becomes "clouded" at the touch of a button instead of the motor driven cover - however neither are a sunroof - the glass roof is fixed which might be a con)

- Designo Platinum Black paint is pretty

- low, athletic stance, aggressive looking front end (except for the stupid shiny bits in the grill)

- rear view cam and overhead view are amazing - backing into parking is a breeze

Cons:

- 20" wheels make the ride unforgiving - I'd probably want 19's for comfort

- car is smaller overall (shorter, lower - not sure if same width - haven't checked specs and couldn't tell visually)

- back seat is even tighter than before

- shiny metallic "dots" on the front grill...strictly window dressing and perform no function. They seem distracting in an otherwise aggressive looking design with an athletic stance. Kinda like big diamond stud earrings on a really fit athlete. Out of place IMO

- lane departure feature is obnoxious and we preferred it off

Overall - a nice car that is an improvement over the previous generation and might sell better than the CL550 (which confused people because of the CL designation). I'd be interested to experience the AMG package....

We plan to go back in a few days and drive it again with a friend. If I discover anything new I'll update.

Any pics? Sounds like a great car. Huge fan of the looks!

I know looks are subjective but I couldn't disagree more. I think the new S class coupe is one of the worst exterior designed cars to hit the road in recent memory. BUT I also happen to think the new S class sedan is one of the most beautifully elegant cars to ever roll on four wheels.

NAY

112869-first-drive-review-2015-mercedes-benz-s63-amg-4matic-coupe.3-lg.jpg

2015-mercedes-benz-s63-amg-4matic-coupe-in-parking-space.jpg

YAY!

2014-Mercedes-S63-AMG-Germany.jpg

gtspirit-mercedes-s63-amg-0017.jpg

gtspirit-mercedes-s63-amg-white-0009.jpg

gtspirit-mercedes-s63-amg-0002.jpg

I know looks are subjective but I couldn't disagree more. I think the new S class coupe is one of the worst exterior designed cars to hit the road in recent memory. BUT I also happen to think the new S class sedan is one of the most beautifully elegant cars to ever roll on four wheels.

:iamwithstupid:

I was underwhelmed by the exterior design. It lacks the crisp lines and muscular tension of the previous gen (which I happen to love). It drove MUCH better but left me a bit flat everywhere else.

I forgot to mention that from the passenger seat the dash board is significantly higher. I'm 5'4" and had to raise the seat to the limit in order to feel comfortable seeing over the dash. In our 2011 the passenger seat (where I usually am) has much better visibility.

When we go back later this week I'll take pics. I was astounded that the dealer allowed the car to be driven in it's filthy condition. Bird poop, rain spots (which look bad on black) left me with no desire for pics.

When we drove the sedan we hated it. Mushy feel, nothing appealing about how the car handles. Frankly - I wasn't thrilled with the lines of the sedan either (although I think it's better than the coupe). The interior stitching and design is quite nice. Feels very luxurious and more in keeping with the price.

I dont know, I think the coupe looks pretty damn good. Just used to the badge on the back to be up higher which is throwing me off a lil. Im a fan of both coupe and sedan.

Hubby took a few photos....(sorry - lousy phone pics)

We took some photos of our 2011 CL550-4 next to the newbie

I still don't like all the shiny dots in the grill of the new car

It looks good from the rear and the front but I don't like it in profile

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

Somehow, the new one keeps reminding me of a Passat CC

in Europe a lot of people jokingly compare it to a Renault Laguna Coupe

NAY

112869-first-drive-review-2015-mercedes-benz-s63-amg-4matic-coupe.3-lg.jpg

2015-mercedes-benz-s63-amg-4matic-coupe-in-parking-space.jpg

YAY!

2014-Mercedes-S63-AMG-Germany.jpg

gtspirit-mercedes-s63-amg-0017.jpg

gtspirit-mercedes-s63-amg-white-0009.jpg

gtspirit-mercedes-s63-amg-0002.jpg

that white coupe looks awesome IMO

I've been a big fan of the CL models but the new model lost so much of its grandeur.

Just look at the one you own and the new model, what a difference in size and looks. It always had its own look, but now it's inspired by the new E-class (coupe) or whatever they used.

I also think the new model became too sleek, too 'modern', as if it's competing with a BMW 6 series when it is/was competing with the likes of a Bentley Continental.

I love the sedan, and I love the front of the coupe. The back end leaves something to be wanted though. Im not sure about it yet.

IMG_0800.JPG

There is no comparison. In "looks department" the one on the left is so much better looking than the new one.

But only in appearance. Engineering wise ... huge crap.

65a09011-9e0d-4ee8-adf5-a338d9b17f5a_zps

There is no comparison. In "looks department" the one on the left is so much better looking than the new one.

But only in appearance. Engineering wise ... huge crap.

65a09011-9e0d-4ee8-adf5-a338d9b17f5a_zps

As far as engineering - we've had great luck with ours. Runs like a champ. Great to drive. Wonderfully comfy for road trips. The new S platform absolutely handles better (more sporty) but this isn't a sports car and it's fine for highway driving. If we want fun in the esses we'll take a different car.

Hubby was ready to fall in love with the new S class and was disappointed by the sedan and even more disappointed by the coupe.

I've accepted each of the S-class sedan iterations from the turn of the century. They all look nice.

The CL/S coupes have all been a bit interesting looking and not quite as cohesive as the sedans.

MB really made a stunning car with that '99 CL600 and has yet to offer a replacement with that much presence for its generation.

Having said that, this very newest one doesn't look bad at all. I could see why most would prefer the one before it, but it's not a big drop off IMHO. Perhaps it's because when I look at it I see a little bit of the old Lincoln Mark VIII which I liked. :icon_mrgreen:

Also, I think there's some styling cues taken from the SLS with the taillights.