Next generation of Ford GT is coming!

Nath4N

CHADW, after reviewing the thread I saw that you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the power plant and gearbox, probably even pricing.

Thanks, I'm a good listener. :icon_mrgreen:

There may be some pricing volatility on 05/06 just because there are some that plan to sell to get the new car but as noted by others, I think the new car is so different and expensive that the last gen should hold very well.

I want a '16 badly!

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care how much power it makes, even if an EcoBeast puts out 800hp....

It reminds me of the XJ220 Jaguar. Amazing body design, but a very unexotic engine, and that engine even had major racing (rallying) heritage.

The Fiesta and Focus look really out of place...not because they're bad, but I think the three cars on the right make the other two look...a little dated already.

Another thing to mention .... so its has 600hp... and will be seeing deliveries by END of 2016 i read ... So that is two years from now. 458 replacement will be already previewing a Scuderia version; the Huracan SL will definitely be out by then. I just can not see the appeal of a V6TT 600hp car (lets say they bring it up to 650hp, the argument remains), when you will have a LP650 SL Huracan; and the Aventador SV, and the McLaren equivalent, and the Ferrari, etc... Surely the C8 mid engined Corvette will be out, will have a V8, and will surpass the Z-06 in power for sure, so that will be 750hp at my guess. Apart from its looks .... what else appeals, especially at $450k

Power isn't everything, there is no need for more than 600 HP in a street car, power to weight is the key IMO, the HP war has to stop somewhere.

Power isn't everything, there is no need for more than 600 HP in a street car, power to weight is the key IMO, the HP war has to stop somewhere.

Agreed power is not everything; but unless this car will weigh 1,200kg (which there is zero chance it will), then it needs the power, it is a trumps game. For 600hp, they could easily have kept it n/a v8 ! Especially with 2 years till deliveries!

Additionally, the cars I mentioned are much more desirable for the history, the noise, the engines, the brands. Who in their right minds would buy a $450k car from a mass producer like Ford, Chevrolet, Volkswagen, etc..

I agree. The car looks small and is made of carbon fiber with aluminum frame. It'll probably weight next to nothing.

I agree. The car looks small and is made of carbon fiber with aluminum frame. It'll probably weight next to nothing.

It looks small?? Is that sarcasm?

Thats what the engineers of the C7 Z-06 said. Thats what Lamborghini said with the Aventador. Just to name two big names.

No chance it will be lightweight. I hope I am wrong of course, as I believe lightweight is the way forward too. But we are talking about regulations in TWO years time, and we all know they are not getting any more lax. Look at how much a Huayra weighs compared to a Zonda, just to make it road legal everywhere in the world, most notably USA with its stringent safety regulations. And there we are talking about the ultimate supercar producer!

Dare i say it looks better than the Aventador... :eusa_shhh:

No, it looks like a kit car. At least current Ford GT owners won't have to worry about depreciation.

Umm... We do ! :icon_mrgreen:

I knew someone would say this. Come on man, you are better than that ;)

That is why VW bought Bugatti, Bentley, Lamborghini, etc. Is so that they have brands with history and with specific know-how. When we go to service our cars its at a Lamborghini dealership, not a Volkswagen mega dealership with several hundred VW Polo sitting around. Its not snobbery, its just for me a fact that I wouldn't want my $450k Ford being serviced on by the same mechanics who have never seen one, and usually service Ford Focus cars; both due to expertise and 'care'. Even Nissan realised this for their $100k car, and had to make sure that there were specially educated personal at these 'special' dealership/service centres.

To go back to the lightweight; I would have loved if this was a fully road legal, manual, flat plane crank V8, weighing 1,200kg WET; with those looks. I'd pay $450k for that, even if its a Ford!

Another thing to mention .... so its has 600hp... and will be seeing deliveries by END of 2016 i read ... So that is two years from now. 458 replacement will be already previewing a Scuderia version; the Huracan SL will definitely be out by then. I just can not see the appeal of a V6TT 600hp car (lets say they bring it up to 650hp, the argument remains), when you will have a LP650 SL Huracan; and the Aventador SV, and the McLaren equivalent, and the Ferrari, etc... Surely the C8 mid engined Corvette will be out, will have a V8, and will surpass the Z-06 in power for sure, so that will be 750hp at my guess. Apart from its looks .... what else appeals, especially at $450k

Hmm, well first of all, I hope the C8/Zora has a V8. That's not a given anymore.

Re: 458 and Huracan - perhaps not so fast? The Gallardo came out as an '04 model and the Superleggera wasn't revealed until '07. The F430/Scuderia timeline was somewhat similar if I recall and the Speciale debuted three full years after the 458's debut too, so I don't think the new GT will be dated at all when it comes out. The C7 Corvette was revealed in January '13 and it took almost a year before most dealers got any deliveries.

Agreed!

:iamwithstupid:

And then maybe we can start focusing on things like: Braking ability, Suspension Geometry, Tires, unsprung weight, CoD.

This is a car that is going to race LeMans it seems. Which means it has to be a a total package, the dick has to match the balls. No one wants to be all balls.

The R18 had a 3.7 Diesel V6 making 532bhp and that won LeMans. I think we will all be fine with 600-700.

I disagree.. If you are going to pay 300-400K for a car like this it better beat a Tesla P85+ lol. With technology these days a 10 sec car is absolutely expected from a Super/Hyper car...otherwise you WILL get bored with 550hp-600hp these days... if this car runs mid 11s no one will buy it, IMO.

Part of these new super cars is the acceleration aspect... make the car a 12/13 sec car.. no one will buy it after a test drive. It has to make you somewhat smile..

I disagree.. If you are going to pay 300-400K for a car like this it better beat a Tesla P85+ lol. With technology these days a 10 sec car is absolutely expected from a Super/Hyper car...otherwise you WILL get bored with 550hp-600hp these days... if this car runs mid 11s no one will buy it, IMO.

Part of these new super cars is the acceleration aspect... make the car a 12/13 sec car.. no one will buy it after a test drive. It has to make you somewhat smile..

Funny how 20 years ago a 12 second Diablo or F40 was epic power, and now it's s**. :icon_mrgreen:

Relying on power and straight line thrills is a never ending chase, until either the owner runs out of talent and/or money. I once bought a 400 hp car simply on a 10 minute test drive after years of driving sub 200 hp. Within 6 weeks tops, it no longer felt like a fast car, and only managed to feel fast under certain situations. I have no doubts raising the power levels to 500/600 would have been nice but temporary fixes at best.

If you get your thrills on winding roads then the necessary HP levels drop a ton. A standard Camaro SS or Mustang 5.0 that handled/braked like a hypercar would be way more satisfying to own than a normal 700 hp version, IMO.

I get what you're saying of course, otherwise everyone would be in an Elise, Caterham 7, Atom, etc.

Best solution I think is to get a Hellcat or something like it for the straight line fix and get a balanced sports car that has nice power but not insane power.

Depends on what you are into, my car makes me smile every time I drive it and look at it, I've never got bored with a Lambo, if a Tesla is faster honestly I couldn't care less, I still buy what invokes a lot of emotions for me.

I don't care for drag racing or straight line highway runs, I know a lot of local exotic owners and I don't think they've ever drag raced their cars, so how fast an exotic goes down the quarter is a non issue for 90%+ of the exotic buyers.

In my opinion horsepower, stats, and quarter mile times are all important, because they are the easiest metric by which to judge the performance of a car, but it's not everything. Every driver will have many opportunities to run a car from 0-100+ through the gears or make a straight line highway pull, but a much smaller percentage of drivers will get to drive their cars on a road course or a twisty road. So straight line performance is an important criteria for most.

Most important to me is how balanced a car is. In other words, I want to know that the braking and cornering capabilities are commensurate with the level of acceleration. 1000+ horsepower cars that can barely put the power down are fun for straight line blasts, but wouldn't do well on a track or a road course. There's more acceleration than braking and cornering, and that creates a lopsided driving situation. That's why I'm a big advocate of the McLaren. Although it is wicked fast in a straight line, it also matches that acceleration with braking and cornering that is equally impressive and makes for a very balanced and capable package. I've driven that car on twisty mountain roads where I felt like I was superman.

I think this GT will function along the same lines.

In my opinion horsepower, stats, and quarter mile times are all important, because they are the easiest metric by which to judge the performance of a car, but it's not everything. Every driver will have many opportunities to run a car from 0-100+ through the gears or make a straight line highway pull, but a much smaller percentage of drivers will get to drive their cars on a road course or a twisty road. So straight line performance is an important criteria for most.

Most important to me is how balanced a car is. In other words, I want to know that the braking and cornering capabilities are commensurate with the level of acceleration. 1000+ horsepower cars that can barely put the power down are fun for straight line blasts, but wouldn't do well on a track or a road course. There's more acceleration than braking and cornering, and that creates a lopsided driving situation. That's why I'm a big advocate of the McLaren. Although it is wicked fast in a straight line, it also matches that acceleration with braking and cornering that is equally impressive and makes for a very balanced and capable package. I've driven that car on twisty mountain roads where I felt like I was superman.

I think this GT will function along the same lines.

Very good post!

Is anyone else excited as hell at all the great cars coming out??

918, P1, ThethetheFerrari, New NSX, 650S, New Ford GT, New Shelby, New Z0H6, likely a new viper with Hellcat motor, Hellcat cars, new Cadillac V cars.

American car companies are NOT focking around

It looks small?? Is that sarcasm?

Thats what the engineers of the C7 Z-06 said. Thats what Lamborghini said with the Aventador. Just to name two big names.

No chance it will be lightweight. I hope I am wrong of course, as I believe lightweight is the way forward too. But we are talking about regulations in TWO years time, and we all know they are not getting any more lax. Look at how much a Huayra weighs compared to a Zonda, just to make it road legal everywhere in the world, most notably USA with its stringent safety regulations. And there we are talking about the ultimate supercar producer!

Obviously not 'small' but yes it does look like it's going to be extremely light weight. There is an interview with Dave Pericak, the Ford Performance director, and he says it will have the best power to weight ratio of any car, ever. And it's all carbon fiber, including the chassis. So, yes, I bet it will be extremely lightweight in today's terms and stupid fcuking fast. We'll just have to wait and see, but that's my prediction for now.