Engine almost stalls when giving it gas

Chipster

No apologies! I appreciate all the ideas. I'm a mechE and not an EE lol so if the fuses were ok for the injectors but the relay was bad, I don't know what effect that could have? I initially suspected a pinched vacuum line but I've checked those. Throttle sensors I will check but I thought this was something hat couldn't fail but could be adjusted? And it ran fine with their current setting before. Definitely a few things to look further into just to be sure. Alternator was replaced with a fresh rebuilt higher output unit. Battery is fairly new and kept on charger. Cranks up fine so I would assume it wouldn't even crank if the battery was bad.

If you can verify a spark somehow, fuel pressure, and the throttle position sensor.... (Not sure the effects of the Carter motor) disconnect the power supply and try swapping EU's left to right

did run fine after you put back the engine? if not there's a RPM sensor connector by the tranny/clutch area, I had same issues on My 95 and thats was the problem, after a clutch job I forgot to reconnect.

did run fine after you put back the engine? if not there's a RPM sensor connector by the tranny/clutch area, I had same issues on My 95 and thats was the problem, after a clutch job I forgot to reconnect.

It did run fine for a while after. So everything was connected.

Seems I remember reading, on older Diablos, that the alarm shuts down the fuel solenoid. And these get stuck. Some just remove.

Good luck

Seems I remember reading, on older Diablos, that the alarm shuts down the fuel solenoid. And these get stuck. Some just remove.

Good luck

Thanks, perhaps in the mid to later '90s models, but I don't believe '91-'93 Diablos have this solenoid.

Yes, I don't believe I have any kind of alarm system.

It is like 19 degrees here and supposed to get a snowstorm tonight so not really feeling like laying under the car to check the fuel pumps lol. We will see when I get some warm weather again.

Sounds like a fuel issue.

Check pump relay.

I'm definitely thinking fuel. But if it was a pump relay, wouldn't the car not start at all? I was thinking about replacing all the fuel system fuses and relays anyways. I'm guessing that relay may be a pain in the ass to get.

Edit: Found the relays...well assuming the website has them...but I ordered 4 to replace the ones in the engine bay fuse/relay box, along with the fuses for all the pumps and injectors. Also the ones behind the passenger seat.

I'm definitely thinking fuel. But if it was a pump relay, wouldn't the car not start at all? I was thinking about replacing all the fuel system fuses and relays anyways. I'm guessing that relay may be a pain in the ass to get.

Edit: Found the relays...well assuming the website has them...but I ordered 4 to replace the ones in the engine bay fuse/relay box, along with the fuses for all the pumps and injectors. Also the ones behind the passenger seat.

If I may ask, what website are you using to source the relays & fuses?

Thanks.

If I may ask, what website are you using to source the relays & fuses?

Thanks.

Bavarian Auto. I think there were some cross referenced relay number options too but I went with the ones listed in the manual. Just normal fuses though...hopefully that's right. I'll see if they actually ship or if those relays aren't actually in stock. They were 9 something each for the Bosch relays.

Bavarian Auto. I think there were some cross referenced relay number options too but I went with the ones listed in the manual. Just normal fuses though...hopefully that's right. I'll see if they actually ship or if those relays aren't actually in stock. They were 9 something each for the Bosch relays.

Thanks, it's good to have a source should I need any of these parts in the future.

No problem. I believe they do have them because I accidentally messed up on quantity and made two orders and they emailed to confirm combining them.

Sooooooo....I replaced the 4 relays in the engine bay fuse/relay panel along with the 2 20 amp fuses for the electro injectors. Also the relay, 1 5 amp fuse and 3 10 amp fuses under the passenger rear seat area. And it cranked right up. Replaced them all at once so no idea which one was the culprit but i'm guessing one of the relays because all the fuses looked ok. So that's great news! I pulled the fuses back out from behind the passenger seat to kill the fuel pressure because i'm still going to install the aeromotive regulators soon.

Oddly enough, not sure what I wiggled and jiggled...I had also pulled off the panel to access the fuel pumps and check those out and wiggled some wires down there too....but when it cranked up was pretty much right at 12V on the battery gauge in the car which is pretty much the highest it's ever been lol. So turned into great news all around. I'll do a separate write up on the regulators install.

For the early Diablo, the Bosch 0 332 014 151 relay has been superseded by the Bosch 0 332 019 151 relay. The new ones are brown in color. And around $9 a piece. Paid $1 each for the fuses since they are the glow ones if they burn out.

Phew. Relief all round. I was getting worried there. If it can happen to one it can happen to any of us.

Help, support, suggestions, ideas. Yet another example of why this is the best place on the interweb.

Phew. Relief all round. I was getting worried there. If it can happen to one it can happen to any of us.

Help, support, suggestions, ideas. Yet another example of why this is the best place on the interweb.

Definitely true! If Nick hadn't suggested a relay, I wouldn't have guessed that. On the plus side, it made me buy fuel pressure regulators and I think that will be a good upgrade.

Thanks to all for the help!!

Sooooooo....I replaced the 4 relays in the engine bay fuse/relay panel along with the 2 20 amp fuses for the electro injectors. Also the relay, 1 5 amp fuse and 3 10 amp fuses under the passenger rear seat area. And it cranked right up. Replaced them all at once so no idea which one was the culprit but i'm guessing one of the relays because all the fuses looked ok. So that's great news! I pulled the fuses back out from behind the passenger seat to kill the fuel pressure because i'm still going to install the aeromotive regulators soon.

Oddly enough, not sure what I wiggled and jiggled...I had also pulled off the panel to access the fuel pumps and check those out and wiggled some wires down there too....but when it cranked up was pretty much right at 12V on the battery gauge in the car which is pretty much the highest it's ever been lol. So turned into great news all around. I'll do a separate write up on the regulators install.

For the early Diablo, the Bosch 0 332 014 151 relay has been superseded by the Bosch 0 332 019 151 relay. The new ones are brown in color. And around $9 a piece. Paid $1 each for the fuses since they are the glow ones if they burn out.

Great news indeed, but c'mon man, one relay at a time :eusa_naughty: so you (and we) know which was at fault!

Seriously though, glad it's running again for you.

Great news indeed, but c'mon man, one relay at a time :eusa_naughty: so you (and we) know which was at fault!

Seriously though, glad it's running again for you.

Haha, it would be nice to know that. However, it was only $60-70 to replace all that so I'd say if you run into an issue that seems similar, just replace everything.

Fantastic news, I was sad for you when you couldn't work it out.

Thanks Fortis! Between the knee surgery and this issue, I had barely driven the car since October so it was getting frustrating! Luckily my elderly neighbors couldn't hear me over the exhaust but I was definitely shouting "FCUK YEAH!" 😀

Congrats! That's fabulous news, amazing how something simple (and often over looked even obvious) can be such a source of frustration. Pleased as punch for you.

Thank you! Definitely a lesson learned to run through some simple stuff first. Honestly, I've replaced just about everything in the engine bay so I knew it had to he something simple but I guess with these cars it's easy to think the worst.