To VT OR NOT

coldhammer

I have been looking at 97-99 roadster vt's. However lately i have seen several posts of people converting their VT to rwd. And it has me reconsidering my choice.

Is there a reason why someone would buy a VT then convert it to 2wd versus just buying a 2wd?

Other than the awd is there any other difference between a VT vs the 2wd model assuming years are the same?

Ive never had the oppurtunity to drive a vt so any input is appreciated.

I have been looking at 97-99 roadster vt's. However lately i have seen several posts of people converting their VT to rwd. And it has me reconsidering my choice.

Is there a reason why someone would buy a VT then convert it to 2wd versus just buying a 2wd?

Other than the awd is there any other difference between a VT vs the 2wd model assuming years are the same?

Ive never had the oppurtunity to drive a vt so any input is appreciated.

My VT Roadster I can drive 12hours a day, regardless of the conditions, wet, slimy, bad roads, traffic and so on, and I will have a constant smile on my face.

My SV is a 1/2hour car. It's twitchy, can't put the power down properly and in the wet it wants to kill you. After a spirited drive I get out of it shaking.

It's entirely up to you what you want to use the car for.

What ande said. The reason people convert the VT to 2wd is that 2wd diablos are much more rare (non VT, SE30, and SV cars). With the VT being more available and a few pieces just needing to be swapped its an easy mod.

2wd is lighter, less clunky feeling during turning, etc. Just depends what you like. I rode in an early Murcie and after experiencing that, I would for sure convert to RWD. Some of the newer AWD variants that are smoother, I. Might not mind the AWD

so the only difference between the two is the driving difference between an 2wd vs awd. Personally I do a lot of mountain runs around here so nimbleness is a priority for me. Ultimately though i want to build a high hp diablo so the awd would be advantageous for that. Sounds like if i can buy the vt and its an easy mod to change it to rwd then thats the best of both worlds.

Other than that nothing else about the models are different correct?

High HP build I think you're going to need to modify all the AWD components anyways, along with possibly a lot of the rest of the drive train. So knowing that, getting a VT or non will be more dependent on what your engine management setup is. For example, if you're going all out and do a setup that has boost by gear, RWD may be preferable still. If you're talking sub 800 hp, I think you're question is valid. If you're talking 1000 +hp then asking which stock setup to go with between VT and RWD is about as meaningful as asking whether to keep or get rid of your cigarette lighter.

High HP build I think you're going to need to modify all the AWD components anyways, along with possibly a lot of the rest of the drive train. So knowing that, getting a VT or non will be more dependent on what your engine management setup is. For example, if you're going all out and do a setup that has boost by gear, RWD may be preferable still. If you're talking sub 800 hp, I think you're question is valid. If you're talking 1000 +hp then asking which stock setup to go with between VT and RWD is about as meaningful as asking whether to keep or get rid of your cigarette lighter.

Its to premature to speculate on what i will end up doing in terms of power output or build. Primary focus is securing the car first. That said i know i wont leave it stock for long. But it would seem to me that regardless of which way i decide to go the VT may be the better platform as i can switch to rwd only if i choose too. Whereas if i buy a rwd im stuck with rwd.

In that sense, that's true. I believe the transmission case is different. The other AWD parts I would assume are not too bad to find. I would recommend following Limey's 6.0 turbo build thread for insight.

In that sense, that's true. I believe the transmission case is different. The other AWD parts I would assume are not too bad to find. I would recommend following Limey's 6.0 turbo build thread for insight.

Already on it ;)

Some other knowledgeable people may have much better insight, like Allan, based on his knowledge of Murphy's old car that SPE did the TT kit on. I don't recall whether that was an SV or VT.

get a VT and you have both options

easily convertable

i removed front shaft and i like the car more in 2wd (mine being a 97 roadster with all exhaust beside sport headers)

it is euro car and so no airbags etc...pretty light for a diablo now

the rear tries a bit to "slide" under full throttle. so you have to really know what to do if you push the car in 2wd. and i would not try pushing it in the wet.

AWD, as said by Andecorp is almost safe in most driving

I already responded on another forum because I didn't see this post, but in summary, stock for stock, a 5.7L VT is abut a second off the pace with a 2WD 91-93 car yet is more controllable. Following the conversion, it's same-same. If you are set on a roadster, you don't have a choice. All roadsters are VT.

The 1994 VT (first seen in 1993) brought in the big Brembo brakes, carbon fiber bits, power steering, better sorted electrics, and the low profile instrument cluster that you also see in early roadsters. The 1995 VT had a larger clutch disc that went into the roadsters too. 1995+ cars also benefit from a clutch rod fix since the new rod design was too fragile, and that's also around the time when the roadster was getting cranked into production. The VT coupe soldiered on and ultimately became the 6.0. The 91-93 2WD was long since dead to the factory and the only 2WD cars were the limited production SE30 and the SV in later years.

Some other knowledgeable people may have much better insight, like Allan, based on his knowledge of Murphy's old car that SPE did the TT kit on. I don't recall whether that was an SV or VT.

I believe Murphy's car was a 99 SV.....

• 2 weeks later...