Checking out PCH and the Redwoods

speed2

In mid June I will be returning from a cruise and wind up in Vancouver and then start a road tour of the California coast. We want to start somewhere in Northern Cal and drive south to see the PCH and eventually the Redwoods which have always been on our bucket list. Should I start in Eureka and rent a car there? How far south do you have to go before you get to the Redwoods? We eventually will arrive at San Fran to catch a flight out. Anything else to see on the way south? Am I starting to far north by starting in Eureka? Thanks guys.

If you want to see the best redwood trees, everything between Crescent City and Eureka is fantastic. There's like 4 or 5 state/national parks just about the redwoods. From Eureka take 101 South until you hit Leggette, then hook up with 1. From there south 1 is great. If you want to hit the Redwoods again, stop in Muir Woods (just north of SF). I live right near there and its fantastic. The Marin Headlands are also a must if you want views of the city and Bay Area. I will say that the PCH is to some people even better between SF and LA, so if you're not totally set on flying out of SF and don't mind an extra day of driving, then head all the way down to LA.