Best trucks?

BLK85

TTSL, mine is a 4x4 duramax as well. I'm running 325/60/20 which is essentially a 35x13. The alignment is critical so they don't eat tires. Don't dare use factory specs, they are absolutely awful. I aligned mine myself, 1/8" toe total and -3/4 degree camber equal driver and pass. On 20x10 wheels the tires wear perfectly. It seems odd because the tires look like they have a lot of neg camber due to the height, but it needs it. As the suspension cycles it pushes the tires through a lot of positive camber and toe goes pos as well.

Done this way the truck handles like you wouldn't believe! It actually overseers which is hilarious in a crew cab 4x4 truck, but it will drift turns in 2nd gear :lol2:

To be fair I have it as low as possible to fit those tires, maybe 4" lift max. It still fits inside a standard height garage.

Needless to say I have ruined the day of more than a couple mustang drivers in that big truck.

Wheels, that question is way too broad. You could be looking at a Tacoma on up.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My truck originally came out of the Chicago area, and while it has the plug in engine block heater the previous owner said he never used it even in sub 0 temps. If you drive a lot in super cold they make covers that block off the grill to help keep them warm.

I will say for most people a new 1/2 ton is more than adequate. But if you want a 3/4 ton, go drive one of the gas engines that is making under 400 ft-lbs and get back to me. Nearing 8,000lbs empty is just miserable to drive with those puny gas motors.

Diesels are also more expensive just to operate. 2-1/2 gallons of oil, plus an external transmission filter that gets changed ever 10k miles. A $60 fuel filter that gets changed every 15k, and anything else you need is $$$ in comparison.

The ~$8k upcharge (new) for the diesel option isn't always worth it, just don't ever drive one if you're seriously considering the gas truck. And by all means look at the resale value of 3/4 ton trucks with gas engines vs those with the diesel. You'll make up damn near every bit of the price difference when you go to sell it.

We need pics of your truck at some point!

TTSL, mine is a 4x4 duramax as well. I'm running 325/60/20 which is essentially a 35x13. The alignment is critical so they don't eat tires. Don't dare use factory specs, they are absolutely awful. I aligned mine myself, 1/8" toe total and -3/4 degree camber equal driver and pass. On 20x10 wheels the tires wear perfectly. It seems odd because the tires look like they have a lot of neg camber due to the height, but it needs it. As the suspension cycles it pushes the tires through a lot of positive camber and toe goes pos as well.

Done this way the truck handles like you wouldn't believe! It actually overseers which is hilarious in a crew cab 4x4 truck, but it will drift turns in 2nd gear :lol2:

To be fair I have it as low as possible to fit those tires, maybe 4" lift max. It still fits inside a standard height garage.

Needless to say I have ruined the day of more than a couple mustang drivers in that big truck.

Wheels, that question is way too broad. You could be looking at a Tacoma on up.

Yeah I've tried to get an alignment done many times and only the toyota dealer has a machine big enough since its a CCLB. Then when I pull up they all say to me like um this is a toyota dealer not a chevy dealership. It just seems like everyone with the 20x10s on duramax forum cant get more than 15k miles out of the tires . The ones I have now are 60k mile tires and they look like slicks after 15 lol I'll look into the alignment stuff. Glad to hear someone is getting good mileage on them.

Yeah I've tried to get an alignment done many times and only the toyota dealer has a machine big enough since its a CCLB. Then when I pull up they all say to me like um this is a toyota dealer not a chevy dealership. It just seems like everyone with the 20x10s on duramax forum cant get more than 15k miles out of the tires . The ones I have now are 60k mile tires and they look like slicks after 15 lol I'll look into the alignment stuff. Glad to hear someone is getting good mileage on them.

Most shops are run by dipshits that only want to align it to the horrid factory specs. You need to find an offroad shop that deals with this sort of thing or even a competent race shop.

If you're brave and have some time, just do it yourself like I did. :icon_mrgreen: One of these, a decent tape measure, and some home made slide gauges.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/DECO-Magneti...Gauge,2698.html

We need pics of your truck at some point!

It's in the garage and a total mess of tools from working on a rental all weekend, but once it stops raining i'll pull it out and get some better shots.

Here's a front tire shot for TTSL. If his is the newer body style he will have trouble fitting tires this big sitting so low. IMAG3171.jpg

IMAG3172.jpg

Essentially it's a CC/SB 4x4, added the SS front bumper, 2010+ side emblems, stripped all the other body molding and emblems. About a 3-4" front lift with stock ride height rear. First set of stock replacement 2" Fox pros on it as well. Other than that not much done to it, PPE programmer, some of the LBZ intake parts, EGR blocked, 3.5" downpipe next to the cab that goes right into a catless 4" Corsa SS exhaust. It's never been on a dyno but should be making right around 520hp / 900 ft/lbs at the motor. :icon_mrgreen:

What year is your truck? Looks good from what I can see! Mines an 06 I'll see if I can put some pictures up. I'm a bit of a dmax junky if you will lol you need to ditch that PPE programer and buy some EFI live tuning. Will really wake that thing up. Belive me i had the PPE tuner on mine and efi is leagues ahead. You should also look into a FASS lift pump, maybe a resignator delete if you want some good turbo whistle. Then off to the trans shop for a stage 5 transmission lol I'll look into my alignment and try and figure it out.

1390512894334_zpsa4348d02.jpg

SAM_0244_zpsa7049c16.jpg

Some gauges

I had twin turbos and 45% injectors in it but it was pushing way to much power for the stock motor lol only a matter of time before it cracked a piston so now it just has stock turbo and built transmission. Can roast the tires off it in 2nd gear lol

BLK, diesel is.going to hate 7 mile trips twice a day. A 1500 gas will be fine, but you need to give the big trucks time to get up to temp.

Yea thats what my buddy with the Diesel has said too. I would like a Diesel but everything you have said about the added maintenance and added cost and higher fuel, I just dont need the added towing.

Same guy towed something for the boss to Florida and back. The people in charge mis estimated the weight and did a lot of damage to the truck and trailer. The ratings for the truck and trailer arent wrong, and over weighting them is not something to do. Even though the trucks have enough power to pull anything, other stuff doesnt hold up.

What year is your truck? Looks good from what I can see! Mines an 06 I'll see if I can put some pictures up. I'm a bit of a dmax junky if you will lol you need to ditch that PPE programer and buy some EFI live tuning. Will really wake that thing up. Belive me i had the PPE tuner on mine and efi is leagues ahead. You should also look into a FASS lift pump, maybe a resignator delete if you want some good turbo whistle. Then off to the trans shop for a stage 5 transmission lol I'll look into my alignment and try and figure it out.

Nice! Mine is an 05'. I've kept the PPE on level 3 for the very reason of staying away from a $4500 transmission build. :eusa_naughty:

I know its alot but it is so much fun lol when that torque convert locks up hold on lol your in California so you could go to Inglewood transmissions. Hes one of if not the best trans builder in the country.

• 1 month later...

The 6.0 ford powerstroke diesel did have some issue's. But the main one was the EGR valve, plugged and the dealers often diagnosed a blown turbo, etc. The best solution was disconnect the egr (even though technically illegal) and you'd have no more problems. I've had 3 Excursion, one 7.3 and the others 6.0. I put 150k miles on my last Excursion, picked it up with 10miles on the odometer. Only had one problem, it started hesitating, blowing black thick smoke, etc. Disconnected the EGR and no problems after. Biggest repair bill was four new tires. I've switched to a Porsche Cayenne, its mainly for the dog or Id have a sedan.

Now I tow a small boat, 22 Donzi Classic to local lakes. I'm also involved with several mining companies and go off road. Didn't need a big truck, skipped the F250 and F350. Ended up buying a 15 F150 with the V8, didn't like the ecoboost V6 twin turbo. I've had the truck 1 week last Friday. Fully loaded except Navigation (never use it) and leather (doesn't belong in a truck that goes off road). Absolutely love this truck. The entertainment system syncs up with my iPhone. Automatic hands free. Voice command works excellent, etc.

I looked at Dodge and Chevy, neither had near the quality of fit and finish the Ford has.

Looked at trucks and the 15' F350 with the 6.7 has a new larger turbo and makes 440HP & 860FT/LBS TQ

WOW!

The power these new trucks, especially Dodge, are making bone stock is insane. Almost to the point you can overload them to the point of being dangerous. IMO pickup trucks shouldn't be rolling 24k lbs legally, you know the farm boys will have them 10k over weight on a regular basis with a gooseneck, overload bags, and a tandem dual trailer.

The power these new trucks, especially Dodge, are making bone stock is insane. Almost to the point you can overload them to the point of being dangerous. IMO pickup trucks shouldn't be rolling 24k lbs legally, you know the farm boys will have them 10k over weight on a regular basis with a gooseneck, overload bags, and a tandem dual trailer.

Anytime you see someone hauling hay bales they are likely overweight. Those things add up quick.

I thought about the F350 6.7. Decided it was too much truck for my purposes. . The power and torque was impressive. I've started daily driving the F150 and the one complaint is parking. Would be even harder in the F350. If this wasn't a semi work truck, Id get a Raptor or a Platinum edition.

I don't think I could get a smaller or gas engine truck after having a diesel before. Was seriously looking at raptor for a while and if they were cheaper, it would be tempting. But even money, I'll take a lifted diesel over a raptor any day.

The thing I like about the diesel is the range. My last Excursion topped up fully would get 740miles on a tank. The new F150 gas V8, well it gets 900 kilometers or around 559 miles. Not bad but not as good as the Excursion.