Hmmmmmm....

ostoneman

Stunning cars, I remember they giving them away in the 90's. The price are ridiculous however, has there been any documented sales at theses prices. If so, the market has really gone nuts .

The Porsche Market has absolutely gone to shit. I used to watch the Porsche Market closely for years, (since 2005), as I wanted to do a 1973 RSR backdate project, (back then I set my goals lower). Since then, Porsche prices have more than tripled! I remember reading a Car and Driver arcticle on how and old Porsche 911 was the budget classic car and how easy parts were to obtain. Nowadays, that's a joke! What used to cost 17K is now 70K! The 964's are no exception either. Everything up to the 993's have gone up considerably and sadly there are some people willing to pay those prices. I have a friend here who bought a Porsche 993 911S for 60K, granted it was low mileage, but still! Everyone knows that 996's will sit for years to come at the same prices (with the exception of the GT3/GT2/Turbo).

The Porsche Market has absolutely gone to shit. I used to watch the Porsche Market closely for years, (since 2005), as I wanted to do a 1973 RSR backdate project, (back then I set my goals lower). Since then, Porsche prices have more than tripled! I remember reading a Car and Driver arcticle on how and old Porsche 911 was the budget classic car and how easy parts were to obtain. Nowadays, that's a joke! What used to cost 17K is now 70K! The 964's are no exception either. Everything up to the 993's have gone up considerably and sadly there are some people willing to pay those prices. I have a friend here who bought a Porsche 993 911S for 60K, granted it was low mileage, but still! Everyone knows that 996's will sit for years to come at the same prices (with the exception of the GT3/GT2/Turbo).

I agree with you, the earlier car especially. What boggles my mind are the prices for the 1973 Carrera RS touring and sport. The sport is at 1.4 million I believe and there really is nothing special about that car, it is not even that rare and could be duplicated for less than a 100k. But I guess, the money is there for it.

My dad is really kicking himself in the ass for selling his 1991 C2 Turbo. He bought it in the high $40k range in the late 90's and sold it in 2003 for almost $60k. Car had 10,000 miles and was PERFECT. Black on Black. Not an imperfection anywhere. He almost never drove it, and would regularly take it out just to wash it, drive it down the street and back and put it back in the garage.

Now that car would likely be listing in the $130k-$160k range.

Here is a 1994 which of course is the most desirable year as it has the 3.6 motor in a god awful color with an ask of $300k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Other-3-6-...=US_Cars_Trucks

I expected this to be pink or something....i certainly wouldnt say any of porsches blues are a bad color, but thats just me. I think the biggest thing going against that car are the aftermarket wheels. Need the orgiianl 3.6 Turbo wheels on it.

I expected this to be pink or something....i certainly wouldnt say any of porsches blues are a bad color, but thats just me. I think the biggest thing going against that car are the aftermarket wheels. Need the orgiianl 3.6 Turbo wheels on it.

If that car was Guards Red/Cobalt Blue/White/Black/Silver/Grey it would sell far quicker and at a premium over that color.

I just got back stateside (was gone for 8 months) and i was really considering getting an early (longhood) 911 cause they where just so pretty and cheap but when i got back but... NOPE. they have gone mental in price. All i could do was sit back and watch the market continue to climb higher and higher and my hopes get lower and lower.

Even the simple 911 SC's that used to be 12ish grand for a good driver are 45-55+ now and at that price range there are other cars i would rather get, so Im back to the drawing board.

I agree with you, the earlier car especially. What boggles my mind are the prices for the 1973 Carrera RS touring and sport. The sport is at 1.4 million I believe and there really is nothing special about that car, it is not even that rare and could be duplicated for less than a 100k. But I guess, the money is there for it.

The problem is the old 911 is not toooooooo far removed from the modern 911....essentially still the same model line. Other comparative cars of the era, such as the Dino etc...are also fetching silly money, but are models very unique to the era. That said, the 2.7 was highly regarded in '72 however....and because of that it is what it is today... I have no idea why the 2.8 RSR doesn't get the exposure of the 2.7 however...as it absolutely should.

P3218017.jpg

P3218019.jpg

As you say the fact is you could spend very little on the standard 'S' and have the same car exactly.....but that's not the point with these original car classics.....and as you say; if you have the money ! I for one wouldn't spend anything close to that on a 2.7 or a Dino.....especially the Dino

:iamwithstupid:

Prices go up but the cars are still what they were when they were worth peanuts.

The 3.6 'S' has never been peanuts.....but the prices today are stupid.

The 'flaubach' variant fetches even more....it's all down to rarity and 'special' factory models....

http://www.rhcollectibles.com/web/used/Por...n-Ohio/1305861/

The problem is the old 911 is not toooooooo far removed from the modern 911....essentially still the same model line. Other comparative cars of the era, such as the Dino etc...are also fetching silly money, but are models very unique to the era. That said, the 2.7 was highly regarded in '72 however....and because of that it is what it is today... I have no idea why the 2.8 RSR doesn't get the exposure of the 2.7 however...as it absolutely should.

P3218017.jpg

P3218019.jpg

As you say the fact is you could spend very little on the standard 'S' and have the same car exactly.....but that's not the point with these original car classics.....and as you say; if you have the money ! I for one wouldn't spend anything close to that on a 2.7 or a Dino.....especially the Dino

The 3.6 'S' has never been peanuts.....but the prices today are stupid.

The 'flaubach' variant fetches even more....it's all down to rarity and 'special' factory models....

http://www.rhcollectibles.com/web/used/Por...n-Ohio/1305861/

That is one good looking 911 in the picture, looks spotless. Dinos suck, they look and sound good but a total slug .We must have had over 100 Dino's in Beirut in the 70's and they were looked at as the poor man's Ferrari . Regardless of pedigree, they are not rare and again I don't understand how a Dino can be worth as much as a Countach.