Top gear is on hold

capt_chaos

Last episode of Series 22:

Jeremy Clarkson's final appearance on Top Gear will be shown on 28 June, it has been announced.

The episode will be a 75-minute edition, airing at 20:00 BST on BBC Two, to conclude series 22.

It will be made up of two films shot before Clarkson was suspended from the show and eventually sacked, with co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May presenting links from the studio.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Chris Evans will be good for Top Gear. In my opinion the show was getting stale and needed a refresh. Chris Evans has mellowed in the 20 odd years since the bonkers lunacy of TFI Friday. He is a very professional, accomplished broadcaster and a total petrolhead.

I wish him great success.

Brits and Americans alike love traditional Top Gear, but whatever this is will lose the American audience faster than ever.

WTF.jpg

Americans will be looking at this asking what the fk is going on here and who is this fking weirdo? These guys are borderline unintelligible (to Americans). Sorry, just being frank. I'd rather see them do the show with muppets if this is the only alternative. If this sticks, I don't think it will be that difficult for an American Top Gear to be revived that works better.

Brits and Americans alike love traditional Top Gear, but whatever this is will lose the American audience faster than ever.

WTF.jpg

Americans will be looking at this asking what the fk is going on here and who is this fking weirdo? These guys are borderline unintelligible (to Americans). Sorry, just being frank. I'd rather see them do the show with muppets if this is the only alternative. If this sticks, I don't think it will be that difficult for an American Top Gear to be revived that works better.

image.jpg

Oh dear, you septics have it very wrong. I see good things from Chris being involved. Proven track record in turning around shows and Top Gear had lost its way.

I'm not saying it will fail. I'm just guessing America won't be so quick to get on-board. 'Mericans eat up charisma like candy, and that dude doesn't have it. It got pretty Wayne's-World there for a few moments, but Wayne and Garth were from another country and became less understandable the more excited they became. Jeremy Clarkson has a radio voice that presents well and is instantly recognizable. Americans males love that guy. Plus, it's a show mainly for guys. The unspoken aspects such as selecting the pretty girl from the audience to coincidentally place behind the speakers were also part of the unapologetic magic that Clarkson also symbolized (but ultimately crossed the line). He's the kind of character that can call you a fat dumb slob to your face and have you enjoy it, so that's hard to replicate.

Fortis, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking, but Beaker is cooler. In fact, I think this would be my all-star cast if forced to choose.

DreamTeam.jpg

I'm not saying it will fail. I'm just guessing America won't be so quick to get on-board. 'Mericans eat up charisma like candy, and that dude doesn't have it. It got pretty Wayne's-World there for a few moments, but Wayne and Garth were from another country and became less understandable the more excited they became. Jeremy Clarkson has a radio voice that presents well and is instantly recognizable. Americans males love that guy. Plus, it's a show mainly for guys. The unspoken aspects such as selecting the pretty girl from the audience to coincidentally place behind the speakers were also part of the unapologetic magic that Clarkson also symbolized (but ultimately crossed the line). He's the kind of character that can call you a fat dumb slob to your face and have you enjoy it, so that's hard to replicate.

Fortis, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking, but Beaker is cooler. In fact, I think this would be my all-star cast if forced to choose.

DreamTeam.jpg

All of Chris's shows have charisma, all of the points that you say Clarkson is involved Chris does it better.

Chris came to be a household name through presenting a TV show (channel 4) then a radio show (radio one so the BBC) so has a radio voice, he has also owned a successful production company and sold program formats around the world. Clarkson's experience was writing for a county newspaper.

You are writing it off without seeing a frame of footage.

All of Chris's shows have charisma, all of the points that you say Clarkson is involved Chris does it better. Chris came to be a household name through presenting a TV show (channel 4) then a radio show (radio one so the BBC) so has a radio voice, he has also owned a successful production company and sold program formats around the world. Clarkson's experience was writing for a county newspaper. You are writing it off without seeing a frame of footage.

I indeed took a look at this guy because I want to see it be a great show too. I'm sure he will be fine for a British audience. I just don't see Americans digging him like they did Clarkson, and it doesn't have anything to do with qualifications (Americans wouldn't know anyway). Some entertainment between the nations doesn't translate and some does, that's all. We may be pretty close, but we're still not living in the same culture. Even more American celebrity acts don't get any traction in the UK either.

Having said all that, I think an American watching Top Gear (the old Top Gear) is having a different experience than the native watching Top Gear -- they both love it for their own reasons and just don't realize that their reasons are different as TG's style worked on several levels. They only assume that they like it for the same reasons because, why not. American's basically abandoned their own Top Gear to watch the British Top Gear as evidence that it still worked better for them.

Couldn't agree more.

All of Chris's shows have charisma, all of the points that you say Clarkson is involved Chris does it better.

Chris came to be a household name through presenting a TV show (channel 4) then a radio show (radio one so the BBC) so has a radio voice, he has also owned a successful production company and sold program formats around the world. Clarkson's experience was writing for a county newspaper.

Maybe I should say it another way. Yes, I think Clarkson filled that role perfectly, and yes I think this Chris dude is a spaz. But regardless of what I think, I'm talking about how many average Joes are going to be watching the new show vice the old show. I can start rattling off names of American comedians who bombed in the UK, so I don't see what's so hard to understand about the potential for audiences to react differently...and just because British audiences like him, doesn't mean Americans will. Maybe his supporting cast will pick up the load. If the three amigos jump to another platform, I'm sure an American audience will be tuning in to see if they can pull it off. As a less-biased observer, my kid watched the hell out of the old Top Gear. I know him well, and I already know that the new host will put a big wtf-question mark over his head and that will be the end of his interest in it inside of ten minutes -- tough crowd.

So it is rumoured the contract is in the region of £3m. Chris does not need that, he has more than enough, he has a morning breakfast show, he has quit the evening talk show he was doing on BBC1. He does not need to work.

As mentioned he has developed talk shows and games shows which have been successful all over the world.

He has a deep love for cars.

And you are being negative about him despite him ticking so many boxes and you have not seen any of his shows.

fcuking hell the negativity on here has plumbed unknown depths

He might be the best ever but TG is Clarkson's baby, Chris will always be the stepfather, now some won't care but I am sure most regular TG viewers do, at the same time in today's disposable society things are forgotten very quickly and this Chris guy could have great success with the show but for me personally something will always be off. Just the opinion of a religious TG viewer.

On a separate note, Clarkson said he will start a new show which will be better than TG etc.etc. but he also mentioned that May might not be in, that put me off also, I think the trio needs to stay intact otherwise it will seem off again.

I think you're just taking it too hard Cap' (and discounting what I can view online). How can anyone be universally appealing? There's enough out there for me to get a feel for the guy in various settings, but I wouldn't throw LP out the door just because I'm bagging on one dude.

A good example is the Forza 4 console game release that was affiliated with Top Gear. Clarkson voiced the inner tour of cars and it was a seamless aural cameo. His voice alone was connected and recognizable, ingrained into the culture. May or Hammond could not have pulled it off either. From what I can see of Evans online, that's not what has made him. Different animals.

Taking it hard? No. Difficult to take your opinion hard when by your own admission you have not seen enough of the guys work so you don't know what character he is and what he can achieve.

Taking it hard? No. Difficult to take your opinion hard when by your own admission you have not seen enough of the guys work so you don't know what character he is and what he can achieve.

I'm saying you're overrating the degree of negativity. Nowhere did I say/"admit" that I had not seen enough on him. I've only said the opposite -- that I have gone out and seen what I can find because even I was thinking he wouldn't convey the same character in every instance. Thus, I have seen many frames of footage. I don't watch British television all day, but I doubt 200 more hours of Evans will alter my initial assessment. Although, I don't see what's so wrong with thinking that he might not succeed with an American audience. It's an educated guess. The only other thing I can surmise is that you're a personal friend of his for how I'm offending you.

On the language I mentioned, that's not me being negative either. That's just a matter of Americans understanding the faster English mixed with regional slang.

This will be very interesting to to see how it pans out that's for sure...

What do you do if you are TG producer - keep roughly the same format with a completely different cast ?

Or go at it with a completely fresh approach ?

No doubt TG was getting a bit long in the tooth and had been on the decline for a few years IMO but if they mix it up too radically then it's almost certain to fail.

One thing it could be an inspired choice of presenter in Chris Evans. His record speaks for itself and if he can bring his magic to the show there's a good chance that it will succeed.

The only slight doubt in my mind is that CE was at his peak 15 - 20 years ago - and it's not overstating it to say he was a broadcasting genius at that time. Time will tell whether that genius has deserted him or not..

A bit of a misnomer this conversation......

It's Clarkson, May & Hammond that made TG.....not simply Clarkson.

Therefore it Evans....and whoever and whoever which will be the deciding factor...not simply Evans.

The format of modern Top Gear was taken from Evans show...TFI Friday, following discussion between Clarkson & Evans at that time.

I personally have no idea as to whether it will work; I think it is little presumptuous to simply say Evans is a seasoned pro and therefore it will all be fine. Personally I think he will try a little too hard....and that may ruin it...or it may simply be a radically different format and therefore incomparable.

The allure of the show up until now was that they really didn't appear to care too much about anything...and having met Clarkson a few times over the years, that was not an act...he really is that person....good or bad.