NYS Inspection - ODB Unable to communicate

215mph

This never has happened before and I wanted to share my experience. My inspection expired and I recently took my 98 SV to the local mechanic shop to get inspected. The mechanic did his normal tour of the SV and confirmed that all was perfect as it should and plugged his own Diagnostic tool to determine if there were any codes, all was fine. He proceeded to plug in the NYS Inspection machine to begin it's own diagnostic and to our surprise the machine could not communicate through the OBD. Thus it Failed due to "Unable to Communicate" He attempted 3 times with no success. FYI, NYS has a new system and software called SYSTECH.

He thought maybe it was his machine due to some plug damage issue. I took it to another shop on my way home and the same issue occurred. I called him and we concluded that possibly the new software from SYSTECH does not have a 98 Diablo on record. Well this morning I called DMV provided them the overview of my dilemma and the shops name and facility #. They advised me to call SYSTECH. After calling them and conferencing in DMV it was indeed determined that my car was not captured and did not exist even though it has been registered in NY for the past 8 years. In the end DMV authorized the shop to enter my vehicle manually into the SYSTECH inspection machine and generate an inspection ticket without plugging into the OBD. I now have an inspection sticker.

I asked if I would have to do the manual process again next year or if the software would be upgraded with my vehicle's information by then. SYSTECH stated it should be resolved by then. I highly doubt that I am the only vehicle that has or will have this problem with the implementation of this new Inspection NYS Software "SYSTECH".

Had this issue last year with my Gallardo. I found a tech support line at the NY DMV inspections division (518) 474-5282 x 4 spoke to Mark. Says they are working on software to recognize some cars and other cars that are problems but for now calling the inspection station and request them to pass it through and it worked! Future reference for people having issues.

• 6 years later...
On 4/10/2015 at 12:19 PM, KaiatEliteMS said:

Had this issue last year with my Gallardo. I found a tech support line at the NY DMV inspections division (518) 474-5282 x 4 spoke to Mark. Says they are working on software to recognize some cars and other cars that are problems but for now calling the inspection station and request them to pass it through and it worked! Future reference for people having issues.

awesome bro 

I had an issue with the Diablo just used the number you had put up. 

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!