Thought experiment: $55k to spend on a car... what do you get?

el_chorizo

Hmm I liked the M4, but I don't have nearly as much experience in the older M3 as you do.

Viper it depends on the year, the pre 03 cars do have shitty brakes, but that's resolved for $2k. The 03' cars have brakes as good as anything out there.

You got me on the Vipers, my experience is on the older ones when I used to track my 996tt. The Porsche would crush them on braking.

When it comes to BMW's, I have owned 9 and counting. NA cars have always been my preferred ones. The best BMW I have ever owned was an 07 328i base model sedan with a 335i sports suspension, brakes and wheels. Special order with a fixed rear seat. Better than the 2 M3's I owned. Wasn't fast, but a truly balanced great driver that I thrashed without caring about it. If I could find it, I would buy it back.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drove one, it's a monumental pile of shit. To be fair I have a hearty dislike for all the current Lexus IS / RC cars. They are the definition of underwhelming experience combined with too much fast and furious styling.

If anyone here buys that over an M4 I'll petition to have you perma-banned. :eusa_naughty:

I wouldn't say the Lexus is a "monumental piece of shit".

Boring? Yes.

Piece of shit? No.

You got me on the Vipers, my experience is on the older ones when I used to track my 996tt. The Porsche would crush them on braking.

When it comes to BMW's, I have owned 9 and counting. NA cars have always been my preferred ones. The best BMW I have ever owned was an 07 328i base model sedan with a 335i sports suspension, brakes and wheels. Special order with a fixed rear seat. Better than the 2 M3's I owned. Wasn't fast, but a truly balanced great driver that I thrashed without caring about it. If I could find it, I would buy it back.

Very cool insider info, Kinnsella.

What do you think about the 1/2 series?

Buy one of mine. I am pretty sure the brakes on this will get you to stop...

Viper

Very nice car, and yes, I bet that SOB will stop.

But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a metal overflow tube on your PS reservoir. They are known to boil over anyway and set shit on fire, with the up and down pipes that close you're begging for trouble.

I drove the M4, IMO it was rubbish, I really disliked it, very heavy and cumbersome, the interior is terrible, I gave it to my brother to drive he said WTF is this? :lol2:

it drove like a modded E92 335i..nothing much

for 55k i would buy a E46 M3.

601976026_U43gr-L-1.jpg

Lots of great suggestions in here. I've decided I will likely wait until next year to pick up a new Raptor. I really love the design and styling of it, plus it'll tow my Airstream better than my Range Rover.

In the mean time since I get bored easily, I'm picking up a '14 Ducati 899 to make the wait more bearable ;)

I'm picking up a '14 Ducati 899 to make the wait more bearable ;)

Great choice. Too bad you aren't closer, we could take the Ducatis out for a ride.

If you have $55k "to spend on a car," would you not be willing to make $55k worth of payments and then get rid of it? There are a bunch of great rides that are largely depreciated that you can just leak the lump sum into over time with nominal interest rates.

I just went through a very similar quest for a new car for my wife. Ended up with a fully loaded 2012 650i vert, CPO to 100k and a an original MSRP of $105k.

Car is awesome, looks great and is super comfortable. IMO it is the best option in that price range hands down.

650i.jpg

Lotus Elise is hands down is the most fun car to drive i have ever owned.

WTF i was thinking the day i sold that car i dont know, i hope i never get that stupid again in life. christ......

i blew $550K on cars that put me to sleep FWIW.

It aint the price, its the ride

I'm going to go totally off track here.

what's a used 356 worth in the US these days? If i had that amount of money, i'd stick it in something that's classy or classic rather than something that's middle aged and likely to have maintenance issues.

For $54k MSRP, you can go off the beaten path entirely and get the Alfa Romeo 4C.

2500 lbs, mid engined, a good power to weight ratio, and best part is that there's no power steering.

Only downside to me is the lack of a proper manual transmission, but the dual clutch is obviously acceptable to most.

If it was your only car, it would be a tough choice to make given the competition. But if you already have a few cool, complementing toys, it's worth a look IMO. Looked nice at the NY Auto Show.

Sounds like you're looking for a GT cruiser.

A used Mercedes CL AMG sounds about right for that price, with some left over.

I read first PT Cruiser, lol :D

Buy one of mine. I am pretty sure the brakes on this will get you to stop...

Viper

I would like to have that.