Audio options

profunctional

Aventador has the worst sound system of any car I think I've ever driven. Seriously. As far as I'm informed, it's a problem with speaker placement and the acoustics. It can't be the components that are so shit. The sound in the Huracan isn't amazing, but it's 1000x better than the Aventador – no way Lamborghini just skimped on the parts for the big car.

I am an audiophile and I can say the Huracan sound system is the worst I have ever heard (can't speak to the Aventador sound system). My BMW 6 B&O system is the best I've heard anywhere and even a Buick Regal (standard sound) blows the Huracan away.

I used to replace every sound system in my vehicles before the car manufacturers started to really integrate entertainment into the dash, then it just became amp and speaker replacements. Unfortunately, I am afraid of what I expect to be weak electronics in Lambos to tinker much with them. Since they all are closely integrated messing up stereo electronics can and will also mess with the entire car.

If anyone has experience changing out electronic components for an Aventador or Huracan, I'd also be interested in your comments.

And then there's the engine acoustics. You won't find a better sound anywhere. 😊

You either put in some $ on upgrades or just accept it the way it is.

Could you guys articulate what it is that's so bad about the sound system?

Bad Tonal balance? (the overall balance of bass/midrange/treble...the actual "sound")

Lack of Presence? (the vocals and instruments have no real presence in the cabin)

Lack of Dynamics? (the impact you can feel)

Bad Imaging/Staging? (vocal/instruments not well defined on sound stage)

My guess is that it's probably a very bright (i.e. harsh) and thin (no "weight", "body") sound with very little bass -- that to me would be horrible tonal balance which would make the whole other questions irrelevant. Adding a subwoofer does not fix a thin sound and only barely helps with too much treble. It's an EQ problem that's probably best fixed with new gear.

In my experience, speaker placement is often an overrated concern for the average listener. You give me nice speakers, amps, etc. and stock locations are just fine 95% of the time. This can even be a coaxial driver in the door if need be (tweeter mounted over woofer).

It's a stock system after all, not an IASCA competitor (and most of those cars aren't perfect either).

I am an audiophile and I can say the Huracan sound system is the worst I have ever heard (can't speak to the Aventador sound system). My BMW 6 B&O system is the best I've heard anywhere and even a Buick Regal (standard sound) blows the Huracan away.

I used to replace every sound system in my vehicles before the car manufacturers started to really integrate entertainment into the dash, then it just became amp and speaker replacements. Unfortunately, I am afraid of what I expect to be weak electronics in Lambos to tinker much with them. Since they all are closely integrated messing up stereo electronics can and will also mess with the entire car.

If anyone has experience changing out electronic components for an Aventador or Huracan, I'd also be interested in your comments.

If the interface concerns you, maybe getting an Audison Bit One (or other processor) and letting that do all the interfacing without disconnecting the head unit could be the way to go. It is often the only way to go with some of these newer cars with integrated consoles.

BTW, on the issue of OEM car systems......any car system can sound as good as anything else. The thought that brand names are better than non brand names is not always true, and I would absolutely have to hear the different systems before I made a choice.

From a true "audiophile" perspective, it's likely next to impossible to get "good" sound out of this genre of cars due to overall design constraint.

The car (Aventador of Huracan) is essentially a very low-profile wedge with a very compact cabin. Even with DSP, it just cannot be done. With carefully selected/matched hardware, tonal balance and dynamics can be had but imaging is likely impossible. To start with, you are not sitting right. The only exception to this rule is probably the McLaren F1. Doesn't matter if you adjust the balance/fader, you are just sitting wrong. The speakers inside the upper dash fire upward towards the bottom of an extremely raked windshield so those won't work very well. The other pair of speakers (on the Aventador) is at the front bottom of the doors --- about next to your knee cap/shin. The centre console on the Avenatdor is gargantuan which further ruins the acoustics. Cars having Alcantara interior will further adsorb the sound. And honestly, after Audi bought Lamborghini, they simply dumped the cheapest stereo from their A4 series into those bulls (the original Gallardo had a bottom-of-the-line Panasonic in it). Need I say more? (Keep in mind that this is based entirely from a hardcore audiophile point of view.)

The Huracan stereo is already much improved from the Gallardo. I would like to know what sparks your high praise on your BMW 6 B&O system.

As often said, stereo on these genre of cars is, at their very best, BGM only. The best music comes from the other side of the firewall/bulkhead behind you. For better sound, turn off the stereo altogether and drive in higher rpm. :)

• 2 weeks later...