With all the early 911 hysteria

Allan-Herbie

What do you guys think of unloved Porsches like the 944 Turbo, and 928 S, S4, and GTS? Lately Ive been looking at them. Have always liked them. Some of the modded 928s are amazing inmo.

193g.jpg

808_series_wheels_hyper_silver_porsche_944_turbo_951_rims.jpg

1987_Strosek_928_S4_Gullwing___based_on_Porsche_928_S4___001_1247.jpg

1987_Strosek_928_S4_Gullwing___based_on_Porsche_928_S4___006_8569.jpg

1988_Porsche_928S4_02.jpg

2198237643_20f29895d3_b.jpg

porsche_928_green_9.jpg

porsche_928_09.jpg

porsche_944_key_15.jpg

tndracing_img600x400_1085701634a.jpg

I used to be an owner of a Porsche 924 and I OBSESS about things when I'm into them and want to learn about them. I used to be on Pelican forums for a while and followed all of the different Porsche talk. If you're wanting a rare car, try and find a Porsche 924 Carrera GT (it's turbocharged) or even more rare, a GTS, (there were 50 made, and it is basically a stripped out race car that is turbo'd). I think these are even more amazing than the 944 or 944 turbo, but it's all about what you like. These front engine Porsches were completely bullet-proof, and almost next to nothing to repair as a lot of the parts are Volkswagen/Audi components up until you get to the 944, but even that still has a few VW/AUDI components. Whether or not you choose a 924/944/968, these cars have 50/50 weight distribution due to the front engine/rear transaxle design. the 944/Carrera GT/GTS have an amazing drag coefficient as well.

I'm not as educated with components when it comes to the 928, but from speaking to others, and from watching the market a few years ago, the later year 928 will more than likely hold their values a lot better.

They are all fun cars and have their quirks and strengths and weaknesses, but I love them, and think they are great to have around.

39_629.jpg

That last black looks good with the doors up. Turbo with modern turbo tech might be fun or V8 with a bit of cam and stainless pipes.

A few years ago just before the classic 911 hype, I bought a 1992 928 GTS just for kicks. Always liked that car as a kid and this one came along and was in good shape. So I thought why not. Its only caveat being an automatic but most late 928 came like that anyway. It was obviously way over engineered and complicated. Definitely more GT than sports without the slightest of doubt. Great DD so long as you don't mind the heft and the thirst plus power steering was a bit of a joke. The power windows cannot be operated simultaneously; it has to be one following the other! Expensive to maintain and OEM parts are certainly not cheap but that's not different from any classic Porsche or German sports coupe of the same era. The biggest surprise was how comfortable the rear seats were. They looked cramped but actually were perfectly contoured and hence comfy. It was built like a vault and felt like you were in one whether as a driver or a passenger. And hence its weight; not exactly quick by modern standard but considering its age, its acceleration and handling were actually not bad at all. Overall the ownership was fun and enjoyable; the icing on the cake being it was virtually free as I got a good price when it was time to move on.

A good condition and mechanically sound one, preferably the GTS or at least a S4, should be rather fun. And hardcore Porsche guys seemed quite appreciative of the 928GTS. Received a number of compliments while on the road from classic 911 drivers.

I had an 86 944turbo, loved the car. Next to the 88M3, it was probably the best handling car I have owned and plenty fast. I would buy an unmolested car in a second, they are tough to find.

I've had an 88.5 turbo s since new, it was my dd for almost 15 years. Great car and built like a brick shithouse. I also still have my dads (since new) 82 928s. Onviously the car to have from a collectibility standpoint is the 95 gts, great car in a league of its own.

If you really like them, go for it. They are probably not going down in value at this point.

I think you will be disappointed everytime a 911 goes by. I love my 356 and would like a 69 911 or 912, the front engine cars don't interest me.

I think the best way to go now is a 912 as they are still fairly cheap, look like a 911 and are appreciating

Awhile back my wife had an 88 928 S4. Red with Ruf wheels. I liked that car, except it was an automatic.

If you end up wanting a nice 951, let me know. A very good friend of mine has made his life's work out of building 944 race cars and restorations. 944/951/968. Don't discount a well sorted 931 though, they're more rare than the 951, and with modifications can be stupid fast. Although the 951 interior is way nicer. He almost always has a superb, well sorted example on hand. I've been aching for a 928 lately. I need to finish the Jalpa though.

The 944 Turbo and 928 cars have been going up in value lately, surprisingly.

I never really like them. For me it was always 911 or bust. Interesting to see how well liked and respected they are.

Love both the 944 turbo and 928. Compared to the rest of your collection, I don't think acquiring either would really excite you.

Love both the 944 turbo and 928. Compared to the rest of your collection, I don't think acquiring either would really excite you.

I would use them moreso as dailies.. Could drive to work etc..

928 GTS auto is the boss, awesome long distance car. Crushes miles, comfortable, great all rounder. The manual (which I was looking for) while much much rarer isn't nearly as good a car. Long throws and the manual just doesn't match the character of the car. 928 problems...engine out for a lot of maintenance, really tight bay, heat issues, electrical too. fcuk I may have to get one..one of my all time favourite cars.

944 turbos are great cars too. Good track car too.

Porsche made a few 968 turbos....unicorn.

• 2 weeks later...

With respect I'm going to disagree with VCR. I've owned probably more then 20 928's, from the S model, S4, to GTS. (yes even a Koenig 928) Some new a some several years old. The maintenance outside of a timing belt change every five years or 30k miles (under $2k to do) is like a regular car. As in oil changes. The only non oil change or timing belt issue I've had is a rad hose go. Other then that they have been very reasonable to maintain.

I currently have an 89 928S4. Looking at adding a GTS. 5spd's are rare, I've owned several, its not a very good gear box. Its far too luxury car feel over sports car. Therefore, I like obviously most of the byers, actually prefer the auto. You only loose a little 0to60. It probably the best automatic transmission for both the 80's and 90's. Performance wise, in 80's performance it was one of the fastest cars made. Today even the GTS a $60k is a good bargain.

I have also owned 944's and a few turbo's

With respect I'm going to disagree with VCR. I've owned probably more then 20 928's, from the S model, S4, to GTS. (yes even a Koenig 928) Some new a some several years old. The maintenance outside of a timing belt change every five years or 30k miles (under $2k to do) is like a regular car. As in oil changes. The only non oil change or timing belt issue I've had is a rad hose go. Other then that they have been very reasonable to maintain.

Well, since you had owned so many of them and still own one, the maintenance costs would feel like habitual to you and hence you don't feel the pinch. :icon_mrgreen:

It's all good. As I said, I bought a GTS just for kicks since I'd always wants one. And the perfectionist in me wanted it to be flawless so the running/restoration costs were adding up. Didn't feel like dropping too many coins for a car that I knew I likely won't keep for too long. I guess if you joined LP earlier, I could have sold the GTS to you. :turboalex:

Always liked the 928's and could have (should have) bought a 928 GTS cheap in early 00's.

I talked myself out of it because the most expensive service on a 928 is its bullet proofing. :D

On a side note, how about an early Boxster S. They are growing on me! How is that for another early Porsche to appreciate?

1979-porsche-928-4.5.jpg

Arrgh, I can't post pictures. Did have four 928's at once and an ok picture of them. Few weeks back I was at my mechanics shop. He had six 928's having work done. Funny thing I once owned four of the six. My mechanic is Porsche trained, favorite is the 928 (owns 3 himself) and sort of specializes in them. He has guys from Oregon bringing him their 928's.

If you try and fix every little thing it could get pricey. My mechanic will do basically a PPI when you first bring him a car. It lists every thing wrong. Its broken down to need and urgency. I usually just fix the most urgent and leave the little things till latter.

My Dad actually started the 928 trend. In the 70's and 80's, he was driving Jaguars, XJ12's, boring sedans. In around 85, his Jag was in the shop. The Jag dealer was also Porsche. They gave him a 928 as a courtesy car. He got back to his office and decided to keep the 928. My brother also buys them.

I'm actually thinking of buying an 85 928S, its the same color combo as my Dad's first one. Its a Canadian market. Even though its not the same car, it looks the same. Its a pure nostalgia purchase.

Id say Boxster, if you want to have the top dropped. If you don't care about having wind in the hair, go 928, either S4 or GTS.

Whats everyone's take on 914's I've always though the 914-6 could be a mean canyon carver.

Whats everyone's take on 914's I've always though the 914-6 could be a mean canyon carver.

Never driven one, but there was a guy who used to bring a 914-6 from Otto's in Venice to POC events. It crushed almost everything out there.

Obviously it wasn't stock, but it's a great platform.

I was at a dealer only wholesale auction (good friends with a car dealer), a 71 914/6 came on the block, it ran well, but had slight damage to the rear. Nobody was bidding. It was no reserve. Joked to my car dealer friend, bid $75, he did. Still no bids. We won the auction. Thing cost me just over $100 with auction fee's. Drove it a bit, was sort of VW like, over being Porsche like. Handled well though. I sold it after spending $300 fixing the dent in the rear for $4,000. This was back in 1999-2000 time frame. Nobody wanted them back then.