With all the early 911 hysteria

Allan-Herbie

If you try and fix every little thing it could get pricey. My mechanic will do basically a PPI when you first bring him a car. It lists every thing wrong. Its broken down to need and urgency. I usually just fix the most urgent and leave the little things till latter.

Yes, that was my problem. Trying to get the car back to perfection and hence my comment about expensive servicing.

My Dad actually started the 928 trend. In the 70's and 80's, he was driving Jaguars, XJ12's, boring sedans. In around 85, his Jag was in the shop. The Jag dealer was also Porsche. They gave him a 928 as a courtesy car. He got back to his office and decided to keep the 928. My brother also buys them.

That dealer must have been "MCL". i.e. the original one with the original owners.

Yes, original MCL, under original owners. My Dad would buy a new car every two years, for both him and my Mom. So they loved us.. They both switched to Mercedes in 91.

^Rather amazing that after decades and despite the change of ownership a few times, they still are the dealer of Jaguar & Porsche. The son of one of the original owners still works there too.

They spun off Porsche a few years ago. But they picked up Range Rover and Bentley. They have been around since forever. I remember going there in the late 70's.

Never driven one, but there was a guy who used to bring a 914-6 from Otto's in Venice to POC events. It crushed almost everything out there.

Obviously it wasn't stock, but it's a great platform.

They're a ton of fun. But the 914/4 feels sluggish with the old type IV in them. Still fun to drive, and they are corner carvers for sure.

My good friend had an '89 S4 5 speed for years and then got rid of it because of maintenance headaches.

Overall, I think the car is fine if you're willing to deal with that. They're not terribly expensive to buy so it's not like you're maintaining a $50-60k 348/355 or something.

You're talking about a very cool look (still), a V8 that can be worked for more power if needed (and already sounds good), and just a unique all around car.

I'm surprised they're still underrated by the classic exotic community.

With regards to the transmission, I respect the opinions that prefer the auto trans, but it just feels wrong for a car like that. The 915 manual in a Porsche 911 SC I did not enjoy at all but still wouldn't take an auto over that if it were even an option, and doubt this manual trans could be worse than that.

I'm actually thinking of buying an 85 928S, its the same color combo as my Dad's first one. Its a Canadian market. Even though its not the same car, it looks the same. Its a pure nostalgia purchase.

LOL! I've been doing this for the last two decades, it's weird sitting in the same car as an adult that you used to sit in as a kid.

The 5spd is o.k. just more luxury car over sports car. Its like a Mercedes gear box. If it was a 911 with the early tiptronic Id say I would be nuts to want the auto. But in this case the auto is way better. Buyers agreed when new, seeing how rare the 5spd is today.

I've owned a couple of 944 Turbos and S2's. I think they are great cars. Just spent 3 days at the track and there were some that were still running very good and fast. I think the 88 Turbo S's and 89 Turbos will obviously be the one's to hold on to in the long run for the front engine water-cooled 4cyl's. They still provide a great performance bang for the buck even by todays standards. (I will buy another one)

The 95 928 GTS's (and earlier GT's) will also be good collector cars. (My father had an 82 928 that was a nightmare so unless it's a manual GTS, I would have no interest and at the current price levels of a GTS, I would much rather buy another 996 GT3)

914's (all of them) are on the rise. (I would only be interested in a clean 914/6 and they are reaching six figures now)

You couldn't give a 912 away 5 years ago and they are getting crazy $ for them (I personally would never own one)

I don't see any 924 (Besides the Carrera GT) being special enough to hang on to.

I think the cars to get and hold on to are 996/997 GT3's, GT2's. The last cars with a Mezger motor. The last manuals.

If you track the ultimate 80's Porsche for it are the very limited edition 944 turbo cup cars. I knew someone with a factory turbo cup. I almost bought it from him in 99/2000 time frame. But decided $32k for a 944 turbo was too much. Only seven imported into Canada in 88 and they are almost as rare in the states. Its a striped down version, no ac, no radio, no back seats, fiberglass hood and doors. Engine is tuned, believe my friend was getting just over 300hp VS 240 something stock. 0to60 is something in the 4 sec range. We raced a first gen Viper in it and smoked him badly. The Viper owner wanted to see our nitrous set up. Couldn't believe a stock 944 turbo was as fast as it was.

Sloan cars had one a few months back with low miles, they wanted $95k, and its almost worth that for this little sleeper. French spec cars, well they where better then everyone else. But its easy to convert other market cars to their spec. Its the ultimate 944 and best track car of the 80's and even 90's. Dare I say best Porsche of the era as well? Yes!

info: http://www.deutschnine.com/porsche-transax...4-turbo-cup.php

And pictures work again. In 07, had an ad looking for a 928's to buy, got a few replies and deals too good to pass up. So I bought them all. Have a building in Washington State. Couple outside one day, had 3 more inside and 2 parts cars. Sold most for a profit. I still have an 89 S4. Its rare as its a European spec, better looking rear end, and no sunroof.

post-212844-1430537378.jpg

My current 89, it has 120k kilometers on it. I was actually looking for a GTS. But the guy selling it, offered a great price and I couldn't say no. It was sold new in Germany and was imported into Canada in 2005.

post-212844-1430615988_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
The 915 manual in a Porsche 911 SC I did not enjoy at all but still wouldn't take an auto over that if it were even an option, and doubt this manual trans could be worse than that.

The Carrera also had the 915 gearbox, albeit with revised ratios ....until '87...

I always found the S4 auto a bit all or nothing until cruising speeds.....with a very aggressive kickdown.