GBGallardo aka Robert Himler

emanon

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please tell me how people discover they have cancer? I once asked a doc this when I was in HS, and he said basically you don't screen for it until you know something is wrong. That just seemed messed up - so are there (inexpensive) ways to screen or do you need a full body MRi or something at random intervals?
As far as skin cancer goes - my impression is that one should see a dermatologist at least annually for a full body screening - meaning they look you over quite carefully and make detailed notes about the various moles (and whatever) on your body - including measurements (how many cm across, and whether the edge is regular, and the color, whether textured, flat or raised, etc). When you return a year later if something has grown or changed in appearance they act accordingly. And in the mean time - if you see something changing you should call your doc and discuss and probably be seen.

Many dentists also look for signs of cancer (or other disease) during check-ups. I'm not a doctor or dentist but I've come to know this along the way.

At least with many skin cancers it can be visually detected before it progresses too far. Not always - but sometimes.

To those LP friends with cancer diagnosis I wish you the best.

As far as skin cancer goes - my impression is that one should see a dermatologist at least annually for a full body screening - meaning they look you over quite carefully and make detailed notes about the various moles (and whatever) on your body - including measurements (how many cm across, and whether the edge is regular, and the color, whether textured, flat or raised, etc). When you return a year later if something has grown or changed in appearance they act accordingly. And in the mean time - if you see something changing you should call your doc and discuss and probably be seen.

Many dentists also look for signs of cancer (or other disease) during check-ups. I'm not a doctor or dentist but I've come to know this along the way.

At least with many skin cancers it can be visually detected before it progresses too far. Not always - but sometimes.

To those LP friends with cancer diagnosis I wish you the best.

As far as skin cancer goes that's just not accurate. You should look at the bumps on your skin and look for changed, odd shaped, discolored, new. Then see if they change size. The more white your skin the more necessary it is for you to watch for it. This is what you do for recognizable common skin cancers.

As far as skin cancer goes that's just not accurate. You should look at the bumps on your skin and look for changed, odd shaped, discolored, new. Then see if they change size. The more white your skin the more necessary it is for you to watch for it. This is what you do for recognizable common skin cancers.
Thank you for elaborating. I thought I conveyed something similar but your statement is more articulate.

.... various moles (and whatever) on your body - including measurements (how many cm across, and whether the edge is regular, and the color, whether textured, flat or raised, etc). ............. if you see something changing you should call your doc and discuss and probably be seen.

Thank you for elaborating. I thought I conveyed something similar but your statement is more articulate.

The difference is that you do not need to see a dermatologist annually for this.

Should you not stick to proctology lol :icon_mrgreen: . Your comments are spot on, I have had friends you ignored my remarks about raised irregular shaped moles and sure emough, cancerous.

The good news, there is new treatment for melanoma expensive but what else is new, but the results have been from very good to great so the mortality rate for a melanoma diagnosis should be going down significantly.

This thread is all kinds of messed up :( It reminds me I really need to see a dermatologist, as my skin is extremely light.

Hang in there Christian and let me know if you need anything. Keep us posted.

This thread is all kinds of messed up :( It reminds me I really need to see a dermatologist, as my skin is extremely light.

Hang in there Christian and let me know if you need anything. Keep us posted.

I had 2 moles removed Senior year of HS that were both benign. 4 weeks ago I was brushing my teeth before bed and caught a glimpse of a mole on my back. I've had that mole since I was a kid but something looked different. It literally caught my like a shot to the chest. I had it removed 48 hours later and was SURE it was going to come back as cancerous. Thankfully it didn't but it was a wake up call. I have dark skin (middle eastern background) and I never burn so I never wear sun screen. You better believe I am going to start wearing it now.

100%. That's what happened with my mom before she was diagnosed with it. That's what the doctors told us to keep a watch on as well. I'm undergoing the same watch now as it's starting up on me, but too soon to tell. So far so good though.

Biopsy came back, it's melanoma but luckily it's only stage 1A so prognosis is very good.

Good margins on the biopsy?

Good margins on the biopsy?

The mole came back at 0.33mm deep. Stage 1A goes up to 1mm. I'm in Vegas for fight weekend but got surgery scheduled first thing Tuesday morning when I get back where they cut out around 1cm all around it and stitch it up and that should hopefully be it from what I gather. If there are any dermatologists on here they can probably elaborate.

The mole came back at 0.33mm deep. Stage 1A goes up to 1mm. I'm in Vegas for fight weekend but got surgery scheduled first thing Tuesday morning when I get back where they cut out around 1cm all around it and stitch it up and that should hopefully be it from what I gather. If there are any dermatologists on here they can probably elaborate.

Yes, that's it for that lesion. Congrats. Good to hear.

Cool... Where is it?

I'm happy to hear the good news, Christian!

I just googled melanoma and will be checking my body tonight.

Cool... Where is it?

On my back, so luckily one of the better places to have a gnarly scar.

1cm is nothing man, don't sweat it. Glad they are able to take care of it so quickly and easily.

:iamwithstupid:

Glad to hear your ok. Once they take the stitches out don't do anything vigorous for at least a week. I got a mole removed from my chest and when I got the stitches out the I asked the nurse if I could work out the next day (forgot to mention to her I was boxing). "Oh yeah your fine".

Cut to got punched in the chest (which never happens, just a mistake) and my trainer is pointing at me going "dude, dude". Stitches popped and there is the most gross looking hole, looked like I had been shot. Fantastic, I was going to Negril the next day. Had to convince the Dr at the ER to stitch it up again.."yeah that wont work but I'll try since your being so pushy". Its the worst scar ever. So take care of it and don't get punched!

Glad to hear everything will be ok! I went through the exact same thing last year. I had one about halfway down my back on my right side. I went in and they cut it out, stitched me up and I've been all good since!

Little advice...... careful what you do first few days after.... We were in Nashville and stopped in at Dave & Busters..... Had a few drinks and did some bowling. NOT a good idea with fresh stitches in your back!!!! Lol.

Finally some good news on LP! Glad to hear christian. Are you going to the fight? Two of my boys are there, got free tix to the fight. They are going to try to sell them for $10g each.

Finally some good news on LP! Glad to hear christian. Are you going to the fight? Two of my boys are there, got free tix to the fight. They are going to try to sell them for $10g each.

Pm me. If they're good seats I may have a buyer.

Nah I will probably just find a place to watch it, don't have tix and not interested enough to throw down big money to see it in person. I mostly came here this weekend cause a ton of friends are in town.